MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local fox station www.fox4now.com is running a "Bikers Behaving Badly" story tonight at 10pm. The previews show a squid doing a stoppie and 360 wheelies, and then state "bikers put your lives at risk". Yeah, like the God damn old ladies in their lincolns who cant even see or walk, let alone drive or the "touristas" who are reading a map while driving are MUCH safer for us on the road! I hope every forum member will join me and send an email to this station to stand up for us motorcyclists!! :finger:

Normally Im not quick to jump at something like this before I see it, but the preview commercials have been pretty clear that its a negitive journalistic attack on sportbikes! Sure you have the stupid squids out there pulling stunts through a school zone, but most of the motorcycling community is much safer than the average cage (car) driver, because it hurts a lot more if we lose concentration and make a mistake!

Lets flame the crap out of www.fox4now.com :bandit:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I share your anger, but I completetly disagree with you. While a small portion of us are responsible motorcycle riders, the vast majority here in Florida are ignorant, dangerous, untrained and potentially lethal.
I moved here from California and I can tell you that at least this part of Florida is the worst I have seen. The only thing they do here is go really fast and straight, and perform all kinds of lawless tricks while riding. On public roads and highways.

The piece on TV while unfair, does have plenty of reason. :cross:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MarcoM3 said:
I share your anger, but I completetly disagree with you. While a small portion of us are responsible motorcycle riders, the vast majority here in Florida are ignorant, dangerous, untrained and potentially lethal.
I moved here from California and I can tell you that at least this part of Florida is the worst I have seen. The only thing they do here is go really fast and straight, and perform all kinds of lawless tricks while riding. On public roads and highways.

The piece on TV while unfair, does have plenty of reason. :cross:
Having the news media clowns perpetuate the stereotypical squid sport bike rider story does not help us at all. I didnt say that there were not a lot of screwballs in FL, but they are everywhere. The news in Chicago used to do stories of the same ilk, especially when some clown blasted down lake shore drive at 150mph and lost it. Point is, you are more likely to be killed by a bluehair in their town car than a stoppie pulling squid in FL. I have been hit by 4 old people in 2 years here in FL, All fender benders in a car, fortunately. One backed into me at the bank. I beeped the horn and even got out of the car and banged on her trunk and she STILL backed into me!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Fox4...I assume it is part of the Fox network. The same network that bought and subsequently ruined SpeedChannel (renaming it Speed). The same network that cancelled Two Wheeled Tuesday so it could air Superbikes!, a show that glorifies stunt riding on public roads. Nice work.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
That's like being the banker or the lawyer... The news people are the same way. They make money no matter what the conditions are in the world.

I hesitate to flame before I see the show. If it's a balanced report, they will ask for comment from sane bikers. If it was me, I would probably use foul language to describe these folks that do wheelies and stoppies on the road, and flagrantly break the law while putting innocent people in danger.

The comments about senior citizens being dangerous is true, but unfortunately not productive. Being a motorcyclist, I would rather see someone within our own community attempt to fix this problem, rather than pointing out other problems and waiting for someone else to fix it. Doesn't mean I don't think there are other problems, there certainly are. Old people cause a lot of accidents, but I think it's not quite as big a behavior problem as the "stunter" issue.

I get really annoyed when I see people doing dangerous stuff on bikes. I don't care if they do it where they aren't going to put innocent people in danger, that's their problem. But where other people are in danger, I have a real problem with that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The problem is not the news....
Its the freak'n squids. If they didn't act like fools, the news would not have anything to report on. Don't know how it is around your parts, but in dfw we are arpit deep with squids. They buy/steal bikes and stunt/race on area freeways. This is not an isolated incident, I see it almost every day. The problem is that they gain the attention of everyone...including the media. The more exposure they gain with thier hooligan crap, the more people think all bikers (esp sport bikers) are hooligans, which ends with more problems.
Cops giving you the evil eye.........thank a squid.
Insurance rates (or the inablility to obtain insurance) high......thank a squid.
Squids suck.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I once knew a guy who, while not being one of those stunters who seem to own bikes purely to show-off/fall-off, came to a nasty end due to momentary poor judgement on the road.

Riding to work one morning he passed a car he recognised and pulled a wheelie as he passed it as a kind of salute, just showing off. Unfortunately about 200 metres down the road a car pulled out in front of him and he hit the side, killing him practically instantly.

Sadly, the person who's car he'd recognised happened to be his mother's. And she was then the first one on the scene of the accident, stopping at just about the same time as her son's heart.

This guy was intelligent, well educated, with a good job and handsome salary, and a real loss to his family and everyone that knew him.

I don't know what the moral to this story is, just thought it was applicable.

Si

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Koop, freaking BEAUTIFUL point! And I am hereby voting for Acruhl as my favorite PR spokesperson, I agree with everything you say Andy, just about every time (except for that one thing about the Oro being the most beautiful limited edition, but I'll let that one go :crazyeyes).

Two VERY valid points from the above posts: (1) Public road stunters are NOT the ambassadors we want for our sport, they are not good for us. (2) what you do in the empty parking lot of your employer's warehouse is your business, just keep it the F*CK away from innocent people and their property.

Very recently, a friend of mine witnessed the following accident (See link below). He was driving beside and behind the truck that turned left in front of a young man on an R6, who was riding a wheelie through town. There is now a debate as to who is at fault, the truck who made a left without yielding, or the young man (who is no longer with us) who was wheelieing down a busy city street, with his headlight pointed at the sky. May he rest in peace, and may the man who was in the truck find ease somehow. One man's life is over, and the other man's will never be the same.

The Daily Bulletin

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hey Griff. Thanks for the kind words yet again. And the Tamburini is indeed a beautiful bike, but I'm partial to the red and silver... Heh.

I saw someone else post that thing about the guy who got killed doing a wheelie. I felt like responding, but I didn't. I have been thinking about it though.

Damn shame he had to die. And he was a Marine, which makes it even worse, on many different levels. (Marines are normally good people, and they are also people who should know better.)

Some points:

o People make mistakes in traffic ALL the time. Even good people. And it's a lot more prevalent now that people in cars seem to enjoy increasing risk by talking on cell phones while driving. What does this mean to us as motorcyclists? Risk is increased. Do what you can to decrease it. Doing a wheelie is not a good way to do this, to state the obvious. Dead right is the same as dead wrong.

o Doing wheelies on the street is usually illegal and is classified somewhere between "failure to control" to "reckless endangerment". Even if it isn't illegal, it causes you to have a reduced control over your vehicle which puts you and others in danger.

o The fact that he was doing a wheelie on the street in traffic makes the rider guilty of extremely poor judgement to put it mildly. Hate to talk about the dead, especially a marine, but to put it closer to correct, he was being stupid. (Something similar to someone walking right out into busy traffic, but being in a crosswalk and then wondering why they got run over.) As Honda states in some of their ads in the US, "Stupid hurts." Apparently it can be deadly too, who'da thunk it?

o The person who made the comment about not blaming the accident on the stunting is exactly the kind of cancerous attitude that is killing this country. "It's not my fault, doesn't matter what I was doing at the time." I'm on the record now. If that comment was taken in the context that I read it (hard to take it in another context), then that person is a total moron, and typical of stunters who put others in danger on the street.

o The bike had bald tires. More evidence that this rider is guilty of poor judgement. That bike had a rearview camera setup, yet the rider can't afford tires? Oh yeah, I forgot. It's "cool" to have a worn out rear tire from doing burnouts.

It's time that the sane bike community stands up and speaks out against this total lunacy. People need to take personal responsibility for their actions. I know it's kind of a taboo because lots of people (magazines, organizations, other riders) look the other way because there is money being made off this new fad. A fad which consists of acting like an idiot and being adored by other idiots for it. And you can even get on TV for it (Superbikes, anyone?).

I'm not really one to get all high and mighty about stuff usually because it requires one's own house to be in order, and I can't say that mine always is. But it is on this particular point. I'm not an angel, but I'm not a stupid idiot who takes risks and then blames someone else for the consequences, either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts