MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you guys ever get to one of the stop lights that triggers by a big magnet under the road, and bike is not substantive enough to trigger it so you end up sitting at the red light forever?

There is one problematic light on one of my rides and if a car doesnt come up behind me I end up stuck. So after a few cycles of the other directions I usually just go, I figure thats legal since I have stopped and since the light wont trip in my direction. Thoughts?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I usually just go as well, some of them just dont trip.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
You don't need any special magnets to trigger lights so I wouldn't buy into those trying to sell trigger magnets.

You don't trigger the sensors since the sensors in some particular intersections are adjusted for detecting larger objects with more iron in it. Magnets assist by "increasing" your iron content by creating a magnetic field around your bike triggering these types of sensors (disclaimer, i could have that wrong) (more and more they are being replaced by camera sensors ..much better). You can go to a hardware store and buy some powerful magnets and stick them on the bottom of your bike. I used to do this with my old R6 and it seemed to improve! Now i just either avoid those intersections or just make a right turn instead.

It has been discussed with LEO input and generally you can TRY to argue that:
1) Your vehicle is DOT approved
2) Any intersection that does not detect a DOT approved vehicle should be deemed as "malfuncted". A malfunctioning light generally acts as a "stop sign". It's really up to the judge on this one.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Here in TN (recently passed a new law) it is legal to make a left on red if the light does not trip.....I apply the same rule if going straight as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A trick I learned from my Harley daze was to put the bike in neutral and then put the kickstand down (touching the ground). I always kept my foot in front of or on the kickstand for when the light changed to pop it in place, change gears and take off. (Uh, you can't have the kickstand down and in first gear if you haven't already figured that one out.) Beats "adding" anything (sensors, magnets, etc.) to the bike. Works every time.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
^^Maybe with a big heavy steel harley side stand, but not a barley there auminum mv one.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'm glad to see this is happening to others I have to blow a light by my house at least twice a week and it doesn't cycle. It will only turn if it is tripped. I have asked local police about this and the office who spoke with siad "you better not run that light in front of me!!" I know if I ever get a ticket for it I will be able to fight it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had this problem as well in the various places I lived. Unfortunately, I've been a bad boy and got a speeding ticket earlier this year (stupid! stupid! stupid!) so I try to avoid running red lights even if it doesn't turn green. So I do what admin says and plot my route to avoid left turn lights during offpeak hours. I've also pushed the crosswalk button, too, because even riding with two other bikes and a trail of cars behind us the darn light took forever to change! I guess that's what I get for living in the Midwest...

·
Registered
689 Posts
One of my riding pals got one of those magnets and reports that it doesn't help at all.

I had some success complaining to the town I live in about a light I hit every day that stopped detecting my bike after the area was repaved. It took a few weeks to get the sensor adjusted, but they did do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts