MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just got back from MV dealer in singapore.

Was being inform that by changing the air filter to the likes of DNA or BMC will actually void the engine warranty as such they advise me to use the stock version.
Was informed that the DNA filter mesh is too wide thus allowing more air and dirt to flow.

I was also ask not to change the original plastic fuel line to the metal ones as was said Mv has a reason for having the plastic fuel line

if anything were to happen they do not want to take the resposible.

I am having a big headache now. Any of you has MV agusta email ?

I need to enquire if such things is true.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Why have a headache over not being able to change your air filter? They are probably just sticking to the rules as they should, to protect your warranty. Don't worry about it too much my friend! Perhaps you can just do it on your own, or just wait for the warranty to expire.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Well is all about common sense. quite a lot of people do bike upgrades, such as, no pipes, cat removal and fit a PC. I suppose these things could technically void your warranty, but I have never heard of a dealer stating such a fact. I have full pipes and many other upgrades, but just had my rad replaced under warranty.

I would be more concerned about telling my insurance company to be honest. Just in case you have an accident and they don't pay out because of all the upgrades etc. I have seen it happen. Insurance companies are very slippery!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sig.Scuro said:
Why have a headache over not being able to change your air filter? They are probably just sticking to the rules as they should, to protect your warranty. Don't worry about it too much my friend! Perhaps you can just do it on your own, or just wait for the warranty to expire.
I am not having headache for not fixing the air filter but more of breaking the warranty.

By the way is there any tuning to be done after i change the airfilter.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
I really doubt changing the air filter would cause a problem with an Insurance company, but then as you said they'll use any excuse to not pay.

I would think that as long as you stick with official MV parts you'd have no problem.

As for the fuel. I don't think MV's use an oxygen sensor in which case you might have to fiddle with the computer to restore the correct A/F ratio. Depends on how much more air a different filter would flow over stock. If I'm wrong about the O2 sensor then theoretically it should compensate for it.

·
Administrator
18,813 Posts
The high performance air filters do pass more dirt...along with more air. Technically, if you had a failure related to the change of air cleaner, that failure would not be covered by the warranty. A failure of an unrelated component, such as the timing chain tensioner, or the starter relay should be. So they are absolutely correct in saying the aftermarket high flow air cleaner could void the warranty.....at least on affected components.

Which begs the question: is the marginal increase in power available from the high flow air cleaner useful to you? I venture to say probably not. You will probably get more noticable increase from a new exhaust system, and an argument could be made that the exhaust system will also void the warranty on any failure that it specifically causes. The question is: what component would that be? Surely a piston seized from overheating caused by incorrect fuel/air ration due to a non-OEM exhaust system would not be warranty, but I would think a cam shaft losing it's hard coating would still be covered.

On another related note: Euro3 emmisions equipped MVs (2007 and US 2008 models) do have O2 sensors, so a high flow air cleaner will not radically affect fueling, although power increases from any changes in engine components will only be realized with fine tuning, possibly via a PowerCommander or remapped ECU.

As for the plastic fuel line connectors; MV has a reason to use them, it's called manufacturing costs and expediency. However, unless you are in fear of damaging them during maintenance, there is no reason to spend the money to replace them with metal types. If the shop will be doing all the maintenance, and they break one, it will be at their expense to repair it.

Ok that's my 2 cents worth. Yada yada yada :blah:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
esq'z me said:
The high performance air filters do pass more dirt...along with more air. Technically, if you had a failure related to the change of air cleaner, that failure would not be covered by the warranty. A failure of an unrelated component, such as the timing chain tensioner, or the starter relay should be. So they are absolutely correct in saying the aftermarket high flow air cleaner could void the warranty.....at least on affected components.

Which begs the question: is the marginal increase in power available from the high flow air cleaner useful to you? I venture to say probably not. You will probably get more noticable increase from a new exhaust system, and an argument could be made that the exhaust system will also void the warranty on any failure that it specifically causes. The question is: what component would that be? Surely a piston seized from overheating caused by incorrect fuel/air ration due to a non-OEM exhaust system would not be warranty, but I would think a cam shaft losing it's hard coating would still be covered.

On another related note: Euro3 emmisions equipped MVs (2007 and US 2008 models) do have O2 sensors, so a high flow air cleaner will not radically affect fueling, although power increases from any changes in engine components will only be realized with fine tuning, possibly via a PowerCommander or remapped ECU.

As for the plastic fuel line connectors; MV has a reason to use them, it's called manufacturing costs and expediency. However, unless you are in fear of damaging them during maintenance, there is no reason to spend the money to replace them with metal types. If the shop will be doing all the maintenance, and they break one, it will be at their expense to repair it.

Ok that's my 2 cents worth. Yada yada yada :blah:

Fyi : i already have the full tita and the racing ECU ( ordered) on my bike.

Was thinking of having optimum performance with the filter but did not know that it would cause a void in warranty...

This is my first time hearing that The air filter will only gave little improvement. if its such a small amt .... i would rather pass and run on stock.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts