MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Brutale 750 S with about 8000 miles on it, stock except for grips, pegs and mirrors. Coming out of a 90 degree right hand turn the bike stopped. Everything works, it just won't run. help.
I just got home (two mile push, kinda down hill) so I haven't looked at anything on the bike yet.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Tempting to point the finger at the usual culprit the SPU, but is everyting else is working then probably not in this case.

Sounds fuel related to me. Can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition on? Fuel hoses present and correct?

I am sure someone will be along to impart some more detailed advice though. Well done though on pushing her home though!

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
What do you mean everything works? The engine turns over but won't catch? If everything works i.e blinkers, lights, horn, no unusual things, I would suspect fuel also. Especially if the engines cranks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All lights, horn, instruments etc work. The bike turns over but will not catch. Now that the bike has cooled down and the fan is not running I do not hear the fuel pump when I turn on the key. I don't smell gas.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Also I opened the gas cap just incase there was a vacuum problem. That did not help.

The bike has Iridium plugs 3500 miles old.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I no longer have a mystery to solve but I still have a mystery. This morning I looked at the fuses. The high beam was working so I switched the fuses for the fuel pump and high beam as both are 15 amps. The bike started right up and the high beam still works so both fuses are OK. I don't know if fiddling with the fuses did the trick or if it was tincture of time sitting over night. I'm going to make sure my next ride is up hill.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
2004 Brutale 750 S with about 8000 miles on it, stock except for grips, pegs and mirrors. Coming out of a 90 degree right hand turn the bike stopped. Everything works, it just won't run. help.
I just got home (two mile push, kinda down hill) so I haven't looked at anything on the bike yet.
Ya didn't nudge the kill switch in that 90 deg turn did you ?
joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, I checked the kill switch. It was OK. (The bike will not crank with the kill switch off) I say it's still a mystery because while I've had fuse connection problems in the past on older vehicles (7 years qualifies) I've never had one occur while the vehicle was running but it seems like it happened here. roger37's procedure is good advice. I have always done this on my boats, perhaps bikes now too.
I'm taking it out today, hope I can ride with my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
have you checked the stand-stand cut-off switch ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not check the side-stand switch. The push home was done in about five parts between which the bike was on the side-stand (me resting). I also tried to start the bike each time I stopped. The point is that I recycled the switch multiple times to no avail. Now that the bike is running the side-stand switch functions properly. (couldn't really tell when it was not starting). The next morning after fiddling with the fuses it started and has run fine on two outings and a total of a little over 100 km. I wish I had tried to start the bike before playing with the fuses to know if it was that or the overnight sit that did the trick.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Cool - at least some of the basic stuff has been ruled out :)

Cheers

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
problem probably solved. Today I went out on a erend run and after the first stop the bike refused to start. I did not have the means to remove the fuses but I did work the one for the fuel pump around it it's socket using the ignition key. Walla, the bike started.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Nice one !!! - glad you found root-cause :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts