MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Definitely both.

As for F1, well thats another story, thats definitely 80-90% car.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Marquez rode himself to this years championship as Honda is Still chasing chassis problems . Rossi had a good chance of winning title if he didn't get injured. In pre season testing teams are not looking for pure speed so its hard to use as barometer of upcoming racing speed.
I hope camier does well because if not its anouther rossi/ducati expectation. Riders are not engineers but they do give the engineers direction of what they want/need to go faster. If a small factory like MV AGUSTA can work an older engine into competitive power Honda with its mass resources should be able to do the same or better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thank you for that. I have always felt that he was simply the best, OK so he wasn't especially media friendly; but no one could ride or develop a bike like he did at the time, and almost certainly still now. He did not like the sponsor stuff and just wanted to get back to his wife and kids, what so wrong about that? Maybe none of you are old enough, but you try talking to Phil Read.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yamaha did NoTHING to the YZF500 for the 3 years he won the title and Goodyear tires ended up being the worse motorcycle tire to be used in a MotoGP. Yamaha figured Roberts was so good they didn't need to spend any money on the bike . Honda did the same with Hailwood Both factories learned a lesson. My god in 1981 I think Yamaha had a whole new bike on the grid every 2 races lol m

·
Super Moderator
23,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So, Jake, you are in the "it's the rider" category then?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Definatly Cars are the opposite . Today I out rode a 2015 Kawasaki zx10R. I am not a good rider but my Triumph Sprint st 1050 is a much more nimble ride than the KawasakiZX10R. Got to go lye down feet are blowing up with water and wont go back down not good heart problem most likely. Ironic since I have been in such good shape all my life and family freaky streng. If Something bad happens. Nice knowin you

·
Registered
640 Posts
There is many ways to look at things...

I for one say it is an equal pairing of Rider and Machine.... unless of course you have the best bike on the grid and have custom tires made for you for each race (Rossi the not so GOAT). Dovi has obviously stepped up his riding this past season, and I think Stoner has quite a bit to do with it, mentoring him and also in the development of the bike.

if Rhea stayed with Honda, Chaz would have now had 2 or 3 titles, instead of zero. but he didn't and will take 2018 WSBK.
If Lorenzo stayed with Yamaha he would of been fighting for the title this year if not won, but he went Ducati and now sucks.
Marquez, can ride anything I think... But he lacks the ability to build a bike or so it appears.
Stoner, could ride anything & perhaps give that development advice which has helped Ducati this past season?

So many variables to the game, but I would say adaptability as a rider, and a package that can meet the needs of a rider and give them the confidence to press harder is what will win. just like Marquez shows every weekend, crash or win.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think its the bike normally but then you come across Casey Stoner explain why he's the only one who could do justice to the earlier

GP Ducati's

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think its the bike normally but then you come across Casey Stoner explain why he's the only one who could do justice to the earlier

GP Ducati's

I am a HUGE Stoner fan, but you know Bayliss wild carded one race in 2006 and won, the 2007 bike Stoner rode was based on that bike.. So you cant say it was a bad machine... He also did manage to win races and be competitive on the bike Ducati unleashed on him (frameless) and others who could do nothing with it.

Wish he stayed on the Honda as he would of had another 1-2 titles under his belt.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm not saying it was a bad machine, Capirossi had already given ducati their first gp win on it however Bayliss's race was as wild card and as such maybe he was just out to hammer it regardless , he wasn't involved in that championship and had nothing to lose probably why he ran away with the race, my point is really that Stoner is one of those riders that suddenly stop crashing as they find the limit and go on to dominate on a bike that others struggle with, a bit like Marquez except he still crashes a lot , lord knows where Honda go if Marques gets injured, he seems to be the only Honda rider that consitantly performs on the bike a bit like Stoner

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm ready to see Lorenzo back on a package he can ride... Would be great to see him on a Honda, LOL... Once Rossi goes the class of consistent riders takes another big hit..

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If anyone has a tape of the 2007 season you wilsee the 2007 Ducati was SO much faster than the competition it left them coming off the corners like they where tied to a post. Stoner to Rossi was like Lorenzo to Rossi . When push came to shove Rossi could pull a 1/10th or 2/10ths on them . Marquez, Spencer ,Roberts SR where the only riders who could do the style of slow in fast out and also keep high mid corner speed . I can remember the ..Dream Team ..of Rainey , Lawson as riders with Roberts as the team Manager. The dream turned sour when Roberts would be instructing Lawson and rainey how to ride and then jumping on a spare bike and dropping 1/2 second off of rainey and lawsons times . You can imagine the ego problems just bringing all progress to an abrupt halt .

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
JDgun as far as Lorenzo goes his style is in the Norm these days.Longer wider lines high midcorner but not trying to push 10/10ths on the out drive. In short not much different than dovi ect Lorenzo just seems to be very effected by problems/down turns in momentum ect. Example: Lorenzo is GREAT on fast starts on cold tires , but pass him after he makes that great start Lorenzo falls back through the field .

21 - 35 of 35 Posts