MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So my 14 Brutale 800 officially eclipsed 20K miles. So since my warranty just ran out I figured I'd get a jump and buy some wear and tear parts. I got on the phone and called my dealerships about a stator. I was quoted $652.90. To which I asked if the stator was made from the left testicle of a unicorn then diamond encrusted and dipped in solid gold. WTF, that's an insane price for a stator, not even Ducati charges that much for stators.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Have you had a bad run in the past with stators?
Of the dozen or so bikes I have owned, many of which I have put upwards of 50, 000kms on, I've only ever had one stator fail.
That one was in a YZ250 that was about 15 years old at the time, and I was able to get it rewound rather than replaced anyway.
Certainly not what I would consider a "wear and tear" item.
Do you really need one in your spares box?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
+1

Of the dozen or so bikes I have owned, many of which I have put upwards of 50, 000kms on, I've only ever had one stator fail.
That one was in a YZ250 that was about 15 years old at the time, and I was able to get it rewound rather than replaced anyway.
What he said.
Good work on the mileage.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
stators ?

Gonzo221;

contact "Rick's Motorcycle Electrics" Stateside 800-521-0277

they made special ones for 2nd Gen Aprilia twins

be sure to use dielectric on any plugs coming out of the stator

:drummer::drummer:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup,

I have had a stator go on my Ducati monster after it hit 14K. After being stranded out in the middle of nowhere I did start to see stators as wear and tear items. They take less the hour to swap and when you clock the mileage that I do the peace of mind in knowing that you won't literally be left in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone reception is worth it.

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
An ounce of prevention....

If you open, inspect, clean, and replace consumables (brushes) the likelihood of a stator failure is near zero.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have gone through many stators and R/R units. Mostly because VFRs are known to kill them a lot. What worries me is that I already have burns marks on the stator wires which worries me greatly.

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
Then have it rewound.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
?

Chuck;
you need to understand the new stator/R/R charging systems

1.there are no brushes
2.production of electricty is not controlled they use a 'shunt' regulator that dumps extra power to the battery or to ground:jsm:
3.they run extremely hot and often melt

on the Aprilia Forum I am the King of Stators

my RSVR is on it's 7th stator

the cause?

too much magnetism in the rotor almost 2,600 Gausses

you need ~1,200-1,300 to make 500 Watts thats over 40 amps

the core of my stators turn a shade of blue indicating a temp of ~530* F and the copper wires melt off

on a test bench my rotor was turning the insulation brown in 20 seconds at 3,000rpm what would it do at 10,000?????

Aprilia's solution?

I get to buy the updated rotor for $1,100

fuck them .... I put a real voltage regulator on it

:drummer:

:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
Time for a little research on my part.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stator for my monster was a little over $500 and the bike was out of warranty for a few months...it ended up over a grand with labor

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
problem with Ricks is that you need to send in your unit for them to re work it. They don't just have the stator in stock. I would much rather swap in a new one then send my old unit out to ricks.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
?

problem with Ricks is that you need to send in your unit for them to re work it. They don't just have the stator in stock. I would much rather swap in a new one then send my old unit out to ricks.
Gonzzo;
they only need your core if its an unusual stator.......

the Aprilia RSVR stator is wound with thicker wire than the factory one .......helping to

cut the heat down

try ElectroSport they have 1,000s in stock

ph 760-842-8300

they've built custom stators while I waited

:drummer:

:popcorn:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts