MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the first service done yesterday, got the new map installed (#46) and it ran very smooth (no flat spot around 9k or torque spike at 10k). Went for a ride and after about 30 miles of riding, the bike lost power, oil pressure light came on, orange RPM light came on and the bike almost stalled :jsm: (I was in the passing lane doing 80mph). Power came back, bike started accelerating and then lost power again. This happened 3 times within 30 seconds, after which I pulled over in the breakdown lane.

Turned the ignition off, turned it back on, fired it up, engaged first gear and the engine shut off. The oil pressure light was on along with the orange RPM light. Tried several times and same thing happened. Had to finally get a tow truck to get it back home. Will take it to the dealer first thing tomorrow morning.

Is this the beginning of Italian troubles? :banghead: This is my first Italian bike and in the last 18yrs that I have been riding, my bikes have never broken down!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Wow even for an Italian bike that is terrible. You have my condolences. But this is one of the reasons why I never buy first year machines...especially if they are Italian. Hope it's nothing serious and gets sorted out fast!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Failed oil pressure switch maybe ? Did you have a look at your oil level ?
Hope you get sorted mate.
It could be the pressure switch, since the oil level is indeed correct.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got the first service done yesterday, got the new map installed (#46) and it ran very smooth (no flat spot around 9k or torque spike at 10k). Went for a ride and after about 30 miles of riding, the bike lost power, oil pressure light came on, orange RPM light came on and the bike almost stalled :jsm: (I was in the passing lane doing 80mph). Power came back, bike started accelerating and then lost power again. This happened 3 times within 30 seconds, after which I pulled over in the breakdown lane.

Turned the ignition off, turned it back on, fired it up, engaged first gear and the engine shut off. The oil pressure light was on along with the orange RPM light. Tried several times and same thing happened. Had to finally get a tow truck to get it back home. Will take it to the dealer first thing tomorrow morning.

Is this the beginning of Italian troubles? :banghead: This is my first Italian bike and in the last 18yrs that I have been riding, my bikes have never broken down!
Sounds like an all American service centre problem to me,,,,,,, goes in for service working fine, they fiddle with it and the it comes back unreliable :guitarist

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah the dying when put in gear sounds like the side stand sensor. Mine did that the other day at a stop light in traffic...I was in N and the kickstand light came on, I put it in gear and the bike died. I quickly switched the bike off and back on and it didn't fix...I had to hop off the bike and roll it accross the lanes quickly and up onto the sidewalk to get out of traffic, waited a few then cut it on again, prob solved. Sounds like to me there are a lot of bugs still needing to be worked out through MV. Maybe a couple recalls need to be made. But the performance of this machine when working is AMAZING! I hope your problem isn't anything too serious. Be sure to let us know when you get it back from the shop.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it the one from the USB drive?
I can´t find it...

BTW: the update of the USB drive doesn´t work.
After minutes of waiting the message occurs: "Unable to update"
(Windows 7, admin rights)
It is not from the USB drive, I found it in the dealer service manual. My USB drive came corrupted and I am getting it replaced.

not a side stand switch? you mentioned it dying when you put it into gear?
It could be it, but it does create a sense of unreliability when a new bike breaks down on the highway. I am at the dealer getting it checked.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was indeed the side stand switch. The orange RPM light (as shown confusingly in the user manual) is actually the side stand light and remain on while the stand is down. On my bike it was on even when the stand was up and the bike was in motion. As a result, it triggered the engine to shut down at highway speeds :jsm:
The dealer removed the switch and bypassed it in the ECU, for me to be able to ride the bike until the new switch comes in from Italy. I just have to make sure I put the stand up before I start riding, just like good old days

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
It was indeed the side stand switch. The orange RPM light (as shown confusingly in the user manual) is actually the side stand light and remain on while the stand is down. On my bike it was on even when the stand was up and the bike was in motion. As a result, it triggered the engine to shut down at highway speeds :jsm:
The dealer removed the switch and bypassed it in the ECU, for me to be able to ride the bike until the new switch comes in from Italy. I just have to make sure I put the stand up before I start riding, just like good old days
Fack! That is scary!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am so glad I held off buying one of these F3 experiments.:shitfan:

But also upset at the same time that MV have shifted an unreliable bag of spanners on the public which will harm re sales & their reputation.

This bike could cripple MV if they don"t bring out some upgrades next year.

My mates F3 is in the dealers after several issues which just should not happen to a premium product.

He is now regretting his purchase & is going to off load it next summer. The thing is that when it is running at speed it is great.[Except for the cutting out & crap throttle response at under 4k.]

I hope everyone gets their bikes sorted before MV go under again!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Bungle, I understand your viewpoint, but I also know what these low-volume bikes are about. If you buy an MV expecting Honda reliability, you will most likely be sadly disappointed, but then Honda has nothing like the F3 in their offerings. Honda's warts are so ironed out that all the character is flattened with them. You buy a bike like this knowing it will be better than anything similar from Japan (styling, for one), but you'll have to supply the finishing touches. If this was your only transportation, this would be a poor choice, but if it's your hobby, well...

·
Registered
614 Posts
By passed it in the ecu?

The switch position is open when the stand is retracted. Meaning if you simply unplug it the ecu thinks the stand is forever up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. So it looks like the oil light only came on because the bike was going through a re-start, after being turned of by the sidestand switch. Good job.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
By passed it in the ecu?

The switch position is open when the stand is retracted. Meaning if you simply unplug it the ecu thinks the stand is forever up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App
Are you sure, I am asking this in all seriousness, because it's different on all the other bikes. It's a 3-wire connector and you have to bridge 2 wires out.
Can you have a look sometime and let us know please.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts