MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we went out for a 400 (or so) mile ride. My 750 was running great, then randomly it died. All the electrics went out, no lights, do display, engine died. I started to pull over the the side (pulled in the clutch) then everything came back on again, I let out the clutch, the bike started and I had no other problems the rest of the ride.

My husband complained that the bike died twice on him, same thing.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the same thing that happened 2 my '06 910......it happened on several occasions......but only while i'm waiting at intersections. as soon as i put it in gear again from neutral, it just stalls. and yes, i did wash the bike. however, i was very careful not spray into the tach part of the bike. does this also mean that i shouldn't riding my 910 in the rain??

·
Registered
473 Posts
fasteddie2go said:
does this also mean that i shouldn't riding my 910 in the rain??
I dont know what is your bike problem but I guarantee when solved you can use it in the rain, I use mine and have no problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never washed the bike with water and the battery terminals are tight. The two times the bike did this when my husband was riding it - it happened at intersections. This last time with me, it was when I was going 30 mph.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Please check that CO% if it is high (higher than 4,5% at idle speed (1200+-50rpm) measured when the fans are working) then you can have that problem.
Not tried yet myself but apparently NGK iridium plugs help with this as the fuel burn is more efficiently done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
talkin' 'bout water. i rode in rain for a day and trip odometer started to cycle through and and switch (starter rocker button) stopped working. washed bike after the trip and high beam indicator (blue light) came on and stayed on. yeah... also, bike had stall issue since day one 2-years/5k-mile ago and no one could ever dial it out. today, it's at shop with constant stalling and dead fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I don't know if this is related.

Once on my Brutale 750, I took it on a long 5 day tour to Phillip Island for the Supers.
It started stalling every so often, felt like the kill switch was turned off.
I would pull over with the clutch in and after a while it would start again.
Over the 5 days it got progressively worse.
I thought it might be the side stand switsch so disconnected that, it wasn't.
I managed to limp it home. The dealer took it and they found the little black electrical box located on the side of the petrol tank under the plastic cover was faulty.
They replaced it with a new one and voila no problems. It had about 12,000km's on it at the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
MVASyd said:
I don't know if this is related.

Once on my Brutale 750, I took it on a long 5 day tour to Phillip Island for the Supers.
It started stalling every so often, felt like the kill switch was turned off.
I would pull over with the clutch in and after a while it would start again.
Over the 5 days it got progressively worse.
I thought it might be the side stand switsch so disconnected that, it wasn't.
I managed to limp it home. The dealer took it and they found the little black electrical box located on the side of the petrol tank under the plastic cover was faulty.
They replaced it with a new one and voila no problems. It had about 12,000km's on it at the time.
are you speaking of the CDI?

·
Registered
268 Posts
This happened to me before with a Ducati Monster, and it turned out that wiring from the intstruments and controls was rubbing slightly against the head when the bars were turned. Over time, it caused one of the wires to flex enough that it fatigued and severed. The shop was sure it was a fuse, or the ignition, or whatever, but I ended up finding it myself (at the shop) by noting that turning the bars one way seemed to cause the failure.

Electrical is tough-- could be what I mention above, could be water, could be bad CDI/black box, could be a loose connection.

Check your obvious connections, then bring it to the dealer to have the CDI swapped out. That's the easiest way to diagnose CDI problems, we do it all the time with motocross bikes when we suspect CDI glitches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
manalagi001 said:
This happened to me before with a Ducati Monster, and it turned out that wiring from the intstruments and controls was rubbing slightly against the head when the bars were turned. Over time, it caused one of the wires to flex enough that it fatigued and severed. The shop was sure it was a fuse, or the ignition, or whatever, but I ended up finding it myself (at the shop) by noting that turning the bars one way seemed to cause the failure.

Electrical is tough-- could be what I mention above, could be water, could be bad CDI/black box, could be a loose connection.

Check your obvious connections, then bring it to the dealer to have the CDI swapped out. That's the easiest way to diagnose CDI problems, we do it all the time with motocross bikes when we suspect CDI glitches.
CDI replaced today. Part cost $300 and bike running again. Fuel pump was not dead and the electrical gremlins are gone for now. I have no idea if the stall issue is gone but I may just trade for '06 910.

Update: yeah... i traded the 750 for a 910s but i did take a final run with the new CDI installed and no stalling. that doesn't say much though since the stall was helter-skelter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts