MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the Brutale out of the shop for some warranty work, it had been in the shop for about three weeks. found a straight and thought i would do a big accekeration run. shifted from first lofting the front a little and accelerating, then shifted to third and punched it, front whel came up to about 60 degrees and held for just long enough to look down at the speedo. 98mph, no effort other than full throttle, amazing to me. I know it is possible to do much faster wheelies but the effort was so minimal it just surprised the hell out of me.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
With just a 750???? I can gas the crap out of mine in 3rd and it just accelerates like a mad man.....granted, I've never been sitting upright....but that's fantastic to hear!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the gas light was on this might have had something to do with the weight, but i am 185.

·
Registered
140 Posts
:) Congrats!

Fun ain't it? Did a 4k crank on first on my totally stock 910 and it was spinning rear tire and lifting the front end, banged in 2nd and the front stayed where it was while still spinning the back wheel, went into third and and common sense kicked in when I glanced at the speedo! :)

Damn amazing how much grunt the 910 has. Positively brutale! Gotta love it!

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've lifted the front off the ground several times in traffic, but to be honest the thought of a proper wheelie scares me. Do you guys practice holding a wheelie up or do you just get it up and down so fast that it doesn't matter?

·
Registered
304 Posts
dearpixel said:
Can anyone explain the physics behind that f-up?

All i can say is that if you lend from wheelie with your front wheel anything other but straight, you risk your bike getting in to tankslapper.

Frames have some flexibility, designed to cancel out some forces, sometime it does not work and bike goes crazy.

example, is going in to Carousel turn 5 into 6 in NHIS. You are wide open on the gas over the hill, so frame gets loaded to one side and then you lend from the wheelie trying to counter bikes drift...result is a tankslapper.
unless you have steering damper to absorb those forces...

there was an article in the roadracing world few years back, explaining those things using Math and Physics that's a bit beyond me, but I gave you a summary above.

·
Registered
571 Posts
When he came down, the wheel was either slightly cock-eyed(a few mm's is all it takes) or he came down on an uneven surface, rut, pavement change, etc....

It's happened to me twice but luckily I escaped unscathed both times.... the bike(R1) corrected itself each timeafter what it seemed like a lifetime! Man I was sore cause it was so brutale! Guess what I had on order the next day after the second time.

What's funny, is immediately after, you have absolutely no front brakes! You can pull the lever all the way to the grip and no dice! You have to pump it and keep pumpin' it!

The violent headshake shakes all the air down thru your brake lines.... it's freaky!

I had must of done 500 stand-up wheelies(w/ front wheel stopped completely) prior with no problem, then twice in a few weeks time.... bam!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
ks9mm said:
no damper I am guessing?
Correct, I had no damper.....I got mine after the second time it happened to me!

I've had one on every bike since. I think every sportbike needs one. The geometry of todays bike are so radical and short wheel bases, steering damper on every bike is a must IMO!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I did a power wheelie passing a car and MV was a bit leaning over as I went to cut back in, bike came down and a hint of a shake and made me really understand the need for a steering damper... before that I just thought it was something that looked good on the bike.

I cant believe that the Brutale doesn't have one standard - crazy!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Vlad Drac said:
Correct, no damper.....I got mine after the second time it happened to me!

I've had one on every bike since. I think every sportbike needs one. The geometry of todays bike are so radical and short wheel bases, steering damper on every bike is a must IMO!

I assure you, quality Damper is a one of the best safety devices for bikes.

Steering Damper and set of frame sliders are my first upgrades on every bike that I had.

Hyperpro is excellent, same concept as Matris. I already called them and they are not even considering mount for Brutale.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
dearpixel said:
So a damper is the answer? I know it's impossible to say for sure, but do you think a damper would have sorted things out for video crash man?
Yes, a damper stops it before it starts! The sign of a good damper is not noticing it!

My damper setting are always pretty stiff. So in slow and parking lot situations, it means you lean and shift your body weight a little more, nothing serious though. But you'll love it on hard accelerations, it'll always stay true and you'll have the confidence to wring the throttle out! And in the sweepers, gassin' out is heaven.

It's hard to realize the importance(need) of steering damper until you've experienced a tank slapper, but it could be the best 600 bones you've ever spent!

Not to mention, it gives you more options with your suspension. Because sometimes your suspension has a lot to do with headshake. So if you tune your suspension to eliminate headshake you're prolly not gettin' the best settings for handling, cornering, and braking. It allows you to go stiffer on your front end preload, raise the rear ride height, and lower the front end if you feel the need!

Matris makes one for the Brutale... but make sure it's the M4R model! The older M4 model does'nt have as many adjustments and doesn't get stiff enough.

http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta/steeringdampers1.htm

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
ks9mm said:
I promisse to provide detailed report on the wheelie subject once i get my speering damper. I am not too confident about wheelies without damper, but I already picked it up in second gear quite easily.

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1141222263/Wheelie_Accident

Stoppies are awesome with Brutale!!! brakes are very strong and easili modulated.
watching that video....
we all realize how ridiculous it is to ride without a dampener
time to order my Matris M4 in the morning

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
571 Posts
M4R not M4!!!

The M4 is no good spalding12, I had one on my S4R and it wasn't stiff enough and had limited adjustability... 9 clicks I think! M4R has 18 clicks!!!

Make sure it's the M4R you purchase!! You'll be glad you did!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts