MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I figured I'd let you that (may) care know. The Air Force has decided that they want to cut the force by 22K people starting with 16K people this year.

They wanted to take volunteers first.

I decided to drop my application on the first day.

I just got an e-mail today stating that my application has been approved.

I was in Basic Training just two weeks after I turned 17 and have now been in for 10 and a half years. It's bitter sweet that I'm getting out. The AF has been changing their focus and not for the better. They only want "yes" men and leadership frowns upon original ideas. Yet they tell us to think for ourselves.

I could go on for hours about all that. Anyways, I just thought I'd let y'all know! Time for a change.

:conveyer:

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
You're always welcome in our neck of the woods Nick. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Hey Nick, thanks for your service to our country. You've got the kind of head on your shoulders that employers will like. Except maybe some liberal comapnies in Kalifornia and New York. Best of luck out there. :f4:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all. I'm more than likely going to put my house up for sale and move back to Redding. Have a nice Stationary Engineer job lined up at the Veterans Home there and they really want me to work for them. Fingers crossed that it goes through.

Randy, I'll keep your offer in mind. :)

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Thanks, all. I'm more than likely going to put my house up for sale and move back to Redding. Have a nice Stationary Engineer job lined up at the Veterans Home there and they really want me to work for them. Fingers crossed that it goes through.

Randy, I'll keep your offer in mind. :)
Nick, my observational experience is such that the first job when transitioning to civilian status is the most difficult to get. So, I if you have one waiting for you, that's awesome.

And Redding is only 750 miles from Bubbaville, so one of your contingencies on accepting the job should be time off for an 'already committed' trip in October. Not speaking for Chuck, but you might find that you're in the path of someone who may have room for your bike in his trailer. :naughty:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, actually I'm moving back to Redding, CA. Surprisingly, Shasta county is extremely pro-veteran, unlike a lot of other places in CA. Even on the county line sign on I-5 there's a line that says "where we honor our veterans." Yes, there are quite a few hippies around there, but even they're quite supportive of vets. Not to mention we have Rt 36, five awesome lakes, tons of amazing riding roads, and lots of purdy women. :naughty:

But I will keep the south in mind. They're apparently hurting for HVAC techs down there, so it's always an option.

And thanks. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,101 Posts
Thanks for your service! I did thesame and got out of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club when early outs were authorized for force reduction inthe late 80s.

Hmmm, I suppose I could swing by Cali and get your bike...would I have to get Noel too?

(on the downside, I wouldn't take it back to Cali....:stickpoke)

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
And Redding is only 750 miles from Bubbaville, .......

Not speaking for Chuck, but you might find that you're in the path of someone who may have room for your bike in his trailer. :naughty:
Kevin, what bleeping map are you looking at??????:stickpoke:stickpoke

·
Super Moderator
22,101 Posts
It was after a long conversation with his latest 18 year old, Noel......

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your service! I did thesame and got out of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club when early outs were authorized for force reduction inthe late 80s.

Hmmm, I suppose I could swing by Cali and get your bike...would I have to get Noel too?

(on the downside, I wouldn't take it back to Cali....:stickpoke)
"Uncle Sam's Canoe Club" :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: That almost made me fall out of my chair! I like it!

I'm looking at possibly getting another trailer and driving out in Oct. Then again, 12 MPG on the highway isn't much fun. We'll see how I get on with the drive back down to CA.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Kevin, what bleeping map are you looking at??????:stickpoke:stickpoke
Sorry Noel, I was ... uh ... speed reading. Yeah, that's it. Could have sworn he said Reading, PA. :wtf:

·
Super Moderator
22,101 Posts
FWIW, Kevin, I immediately thought PA, too.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Thank you for your service, Nick.

I haven't ignored you, I just keep forgetting to find the part. PM me your mailing address too.

·
Vendor
5,281 Posts
It's a credit to you to serve your country for 10 years.All the best of luck to you out there in civillian land.Trained millitary personell are in demand.Our failing air carrier Qantas are always poaching millitary trained pilots because they are trained the right way.:)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No worries, Carl. Not a big rush, I can't even ride right now. Sending PM shortly. And thanks.

Mitchy, thanks. It's been an interesting 10 years, I must say. Looking at some pretty amazing jobs right now and I'm not going to lie, it's a bit scary. I feel a bit like a minnow being dropped into the Pacific, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to swim.

·
Registered
643 Posts
NICK,

Best of luck and thank you for your service. You'll be fine, trust me. Sometimes you've got to do what's right, even without a big plan. Only strong men will follow through with such a decision, which for me is conformation you'll be all right.

Let me know if you're around next Summer. I'm just up north in Bend. Maybe we can meet and have a drink at the Crater Lake lodge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts