MV Agusta Forum banner

Beware the pothole!

5K views 53 replies 38 participants last post by  MRT 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, some may have seen this in the brissy riders thread already.

A quick ride to Woodford Queensland on a perfect day, on roads we frequent.

We were having a great run on neurum road and copped quite a bit of traffic (it was a saturday) this road is a bit thin, few potholes, but most of the time cars move over for you.

Today not many did so we were on the edge a bit. Anyway, there was a break in the traffic, sitting at speed limit when i clipped a pothole and the last thing i know i got a bit of a tank slap, then i remember my fiance telling me not to move i will be ok.

Next i remember the ambulance guys saying they have to cut my leathers off (Chris said he laughed as i proceeded to tell the ambo's not to cut them as i have street cred now, He knew i was ok then lol)
Anyways, I ended up with sever bruising and a broken wrist. i dont remember much but chris saw the bike flipping and me hitting the road. Luckily i didnt slide into anything and all the traffic had passed.

Turns out the pothole popped the front tyre, then the rim bit into the bitumen, folded and locked up the front and flipped me off.

Just putting this out there for everyone to be careful as we all are anyway.

I really don't think anything could have prevented this but you just never know whats ahead.

Time for new bike shopping!!! It sux because i really liked this bike.
Still deciding what i will get.

See less See more
#4 ·
:jsm::jsm: can that really happen?? What a shame for your bike. Get well soon.

#5 ·
Bloody hell Matey! :jsm: Well done to have only a busted wrist, as you say the bike can be and will be replaced, you only have 8 lives left now :bawling: Any chance of a claim against the pothole owners? The local council perhaps? Are you sure it was only a pothole? Not one of those bloody big bauxite mines you got out there?

#9 ·
Hey Donna,
Glad you're doing well. The boost in street cred will give you a much faster recovery than normal.
With all the unseasonally heavy down pours we've been getting over the last few months there are huge pot holes everywhere.
Good luck with picking a new bike. I hope you stay with the MV marque

#12 · (Edited)
WOW :jsm: :wtf:

Even though I have seen this in the other Brizzy thread, I am still shocked and amazed!

I wish you a speedy recovery, and admire your desire to get back on the pony mvious001 :yo:

My work mate, did the same thing on his Kwaka 6, on the same roads. It was the last straw for him, sold his bike, and now rides a postie :jsm:
I'll see if I can get a pic to post of his collapsed front rim. No crash, close, but he reckons his nuts hit the tank so hard, its a wonder they didn't turn black!!! Being an F4 rider.........I took his word for it :naughty:

With more rain on the way, I don't think the roads are going to improve any.......

But hey, the silver lining of this horrid story is a new bike :mouthwate and some street cred leathers :stickpoke :laughing:

#16 ·
You are so bloody lucky. You could have done that to an F4 and that would be awful. ; )

Seriously tho..Holy Cow you gave that pot hole one hell of a wack and I'm glad you landed safely ( relatively )

This is something we all have to watch out for. I know in the UK the road maintenance is getting poorer and poorer as money gets tighter so hole in the road are going to become a bigger issue in future ..

recover well and fast

joe

#36 ·
Bloody hell, glad you're sort of o.k. You got a smart friend. Best not to move when you hit the ground like that. I hope you make a speedy and full recovery.

This is something we all have to watch out for. I know in the UK the road maintenance is getting poorer and poorer as money gets tighter so hole in the road are going to become a bigger issue in future ..

joe
Same story over here, Joe. The narrow country lane I live in looks like the Grand Canyon.
Since the street is a couple of miles long and there are erm let's see about 7 houses, I don't have to tell you that it won't be repaired any time soon... :cross:

#17 ·
Ouch that's a massive impact! All the best for a speedy recovery and enjoy the search for a new bike.

Gotta love the goat tracks that they pass off as roads in some parts of Aus, you'd think with all the revenue raising of the speed cameras they'd be silky smooth by now!

#20 ·
Damn, guess its a good thing you fared as well as you did with the damage like that. Did you sing "I believe I can fly.." on the way?

My thought. Here in the states there are policies regarding these. A friend hit a pretty bad one on the highway (in a car) and it did the same thing to his wheel and messed up his steering the the local govt compensated him. I know we have insurance for these things but it doesnt hurt to ask and it might help keep it off of your insurance (or supplement it).

#23 ·
Sorry about the crash. I do hope you are ok. That being said, you have to take responsibility for your actions. Had you been riding on the correct (right) side of the road, none of this would have happened......:naughty:

#30 · (Edited)
Sorry about the crash. I do hope you are ok. That being said, you have to take responsibility for your actions. Had you been riding on the correct (right) side of the road, none of this would have happened......:naughty:
It still would have happened - just it that would have been on the way back! D'oh Randy!

I can't believe I missed this thread yesterday - so sorry to hear about it!

Shit that IS scary - do you remember how fast you were going?

Glad to are mostly OK - new bike? After that experience I think you deserve a new Brutie AND an F3 ;)

#24 ·
Man, that sucks.!! Hope the wrist is OK. Follow doctor's orders there. Lot's of small bones that can heal poorly.

I had a somewhat similar experience once. Although I did not crash, both my wheels were bent and the front tire damaged (and my underwear soiled!!). I took photos of the road and damage to my bike and sent them, along with a repair estimate and a letter explaining how I could easily have been killed or seriously injured, to the City of Marietta GA (where it happened). I got a check for the repair estimate amount and a letter of apology. The hole in the road was repaired a few days after I mailed the letter.

Maybe you should pursue a civil action against the Department of Roads for your injuries and loss???

#25 ·
Man, that sucks.!! Hope the wrist is OK. Follow doctor's orders there. Lot's of small bones that can heal poorly.

I had a somewhat similar experience once. Although I did not crash, both my wheels were bent and the front tire damaged (and my underwear soiled!!)...l

Shhhhhh Ed, I haven't told Dave about the latest chapter in his F4CC saga yet.......I've already made arrangements with John for his extra CC seat. You know how those skid marks can ruin alcantra.....:stickpoke

#27 ·
mvious001,
I have heard of a claim here in the uk against local authorities from damage due to a pot hole, so give it a go.

How bad was the wrist, simple fracture or worse?
I broke and dislocated both of mine(3hr surgery with wires)when a car turned right without seeing me, although he did notice me when my bike was stuck in his engine block:flash:. You may find a bike with low bars causes wrist ache, good job you like Bruties unfortunatly I like racing bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.