MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, i wanted to install the arrow midpipe on my f4. The springs are really tight and i was wondering whats the best way to remove them.

Is there a "special" tool i could buy?

any help is appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
917 Posts
there is a "spring removal" tool- basically a t-shaped tool with a hook on the end.- not sure where I got mine, have had it for years, but I'm sure you could find one. You can also use a screw driver to lever the hook end of the spring and use the shank of the screwdriver to pull it off. Unwieldy, but possible.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
harbor freight has a cheap t handle that has a hook at the end. Im not sure of the exact purpose of the tool but it works like a charm.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi mate,

Don't piss about with a screw driver, if it goes wrong you end up bleeding. Pound to a pinch you'll hit your paintwork with the sharp end of the driver too.

Spring removal tool is the way :)

Cheers,

Hoppy

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks a lot guys.

Will try to find/buy one today. Hope they have 'em at home depot or something. would love to install the pipe today :)

the engine is definitely not good for traffic. the temp is going up to 107 C. about 90 -100 on the highway. Is that normal ?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks a lot guys.

Will try to find/buy one today. Hope they have 'em at home depot or something. would love to install the pipe today :)

the engine is definitely not good for traffic. the temp is going up to 107 C. about 90 -100 on the highway. Is that normal ?
I've been out on mine today 50miles of fun to Thruxton track and 50 miles of fun back (hehe) my temp goes down to about 84-87 when being thrashed on back roads, it climbs back up when stuck in traffic after some fun (hehehe) to about 90 - 100, so I wouldn't worry. My arse gets hot when I stop at traffic lights mind :jsm::jsm:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Hey guys, i wanted to install the arrow midpipe on my f4. The springs are really tight and i was wondering whats the best way to remove them.

Is there a "special" tool i could buy?

any help is appreciated.

thanks.

You don't need a special spring puller. Use what you have on your shoes, that is a used shoe lace. Trust me the shoe lace will do wonders!!!!

I've been using my old shoe lace to remove exhaust springs on all my bikes, especially hard to get hook locations.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I just use a pair of long nosed pliers.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I use a piece of wire and a wood dowel.
Kinda like the shoe lace trick.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Is that what those springs are for? They go on the little loops on the pipes? I'll be damned. Mine are in a drawer as I couldn't figure out where they went. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Spring puller is the way to go, but if you're stuck and in a hurry, a wire coat hanger will do the job. Just hook it through then wind it back around itself so the spring can't go anywhere. Crude but effective. :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've installed the mid pipe. I couldn't find the spring tool at any store so i build the tool myself :) Basically i just bent a piece of pretty strong wire in the shape of the tool with a handle and hook. Worked out great. Just took the bike for a spin. What a difference. I noticed a much better throttle response. The bike runs much better but it still gets pretty warm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts