MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

I have decided to commit to the fact that my B4 isn't going to be on the road this year while I source parts and fix the damage from the side stand snapping in a trailer.

So my plan is to strip the bike right down and give it a really good clean and re paint the engine as best I can without pulling all apart, as the paint is flaking off. I also want to upgrade some parts to Carbon Fibre and repaint some of the tired looking panles, Part of this 'Restoration' will involve replacing rounded out bolts and seized well nuts. So I was thinking I would make a move to stainless bolts. So just wanting to know if anybody knew of a good (best Value for money) source of bolts. I have looked at Pro-Bolt and RaceBolt UK. They have some kits for the brakes and engine, but I also want to replace all the fairing bolts and they look to be quite expensive at about £2-£3 per bolt. I am wondering of there a bit of a mark up because it is a 'Motorcycle' bolt as opposed to just a generic stainless bolt. Maybe I am wrong.

Any ideas would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Most are generic. Using the parts list for your bike you can cross reference each bolt's part number to the actual bolt size, also in that same file. Then just buy them wherever bolts are cheapest. I get grade 5 titanium bolts, usually off eBay.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, good advice, I have actually just been looking through StarTwin trading and the bolt descriptions and then found a couple of fastener manufactures in the UK. Trick is to find some that look nice!
Might give your ebay idea a go.

Cheers

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the view on titanium bolts from China? I am always dubious of anything on ebay that comes from China.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
imo it's the qc, and not the origin that's important. I'd imagine most of the bolts on MV's are from China, and have been for some time. For critical fittings such as caliper bolts I'd suggest pro bolt or race tech.

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
Racebolt UK has everything you’ll need. I used them in my Monster project and was impressed.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
?

Why buy new bolts?????
Just have them replated......in gold zinc

Next box to go......that front axle is almost perfect.... everything in the tool
kits goes too
And small ones already done and sorted
The big stuff is in a chest of drawers :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a good idea. I was going for all new as being a 14yr naked and being in the UK. And Also I don't think the last owners (myself Included) have really looked after the bike as well as they should (Leaving it outside most of the year). A lot of the original bolts are very corroded, to the point of being seized into the rubber well nuts. They also seem to be very soft soft and prone to rounding out the heads.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Pro-Bolt.com has top quality stainless bolts in a wide variety of styles, so you can keep the stock look or go full custom. I've probably helped them be profitable for many years...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts