41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Been playing a long long time. Jimi is the best there's ever been, Danny Gatton is (was) one of the scariest in terms of sheer ability and the one you haven't heard of is Zal Cleminson. Listen to some live Alex Harvey from their peak. OK silly wig, makeup and tights but shit that guy can wring some angst out of a guitar.

Lots of others of course. Derek Trucks is a current fave.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
How about more suggestions?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Dusan Jevtovic. Serbian guitarist based in Barcelona. Music is very different. I like it anyway. The best is whatever pushes your buttons when it's playing. For sheer brilliance John McLaughlin.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Mark Knopfler, Pat Metheny

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Hughie Thomasson, Warren Haynes, Jeff Beck, Paco De Lucia, Al DiMeola, Duane Allman, Derrick Trucks, Toy Caldwell, Oh, almost forgot Carlos

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Doesn't Slash get a mention? and me! I do a great version of Sweet child of mine on air guitar in the bath. My dog thinks so anyway.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Herman Li from Dragonforce.

SteveTerreberry from youtube.
Guy makes funny videos, reviews videos with either bad players or litteraly stupid fake live shows and redeems those by making his own tune over that video.

If you want a 5 minute laugh about his review about lil wayne but to proof he isnt just trash talker he does his own solo about that song.
Youtube: steveterreberry - lil wayne. (The video with 4.7million views)
(Older video of him, but his best IMO)

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Doesn't Slash get a mention? and me! I do a great version of Sweet child of mine on air guitar in the bath. My dog thinks so anyway.
I agree Slash deserves a mention and also G-n-R’s other guitarist Izzy Stradlin, although he’s more of a rhythm guitarist.

Don’t know if this guy has been mentioned, but Terry Kath, from the original Chicago band. Just listen to his scorching guitar work on 25 or 6 to 4. He could play!

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I agree Slash deserves a mention and also G-n-R’s other guitarist Izzy Stradlin, although he’s more of a rhythm guitarist.

Don’t know if this guy has been mentioned, but Terry Kath, from the original Chicago band. Just listen to his scorching guitar work on 25 or 6 to 4. He could play!
In that case I go for Buckethead

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just seen this thread and for what it's worth.... I worked for Jet Records in 1980 and had the good fortune to meet the amazing Randy who u know joined ozzy for blizzard of oz as well as Gary Moore who had a band called G Force
LUCKY ME ... I still have a blizzard tour jacket and lots of vinyl to boot
WOW

·
Registered
351 Posts
And forgot to mention Dave Navarro from the best live studio/band u may have hopefully seen
Check out had a dad from nothings shocking, a 4 min explosion of untoward👍

·
Registered
216 Posts
Talent, Skills & Soul --

From the late 70ies to the early 90ies I played the drums in a few amateur blues-rock bands .. Along with our guitarist I was the electronics and sound geek of the bands, and very much into guitars and especially tube-amplifiers, and guitar sound ..

We were very much into Jimi and Blackmore, Gary Moore, Johnny Winter, Billy Gibbons e.t.c But through my uncle who played and still plays a lot of jazz guitar, I knew of, and really loved Django Reinhardt. Grappeli, Chet Atkins and so on ..

Another guitarist in our little circle came back from the states, in 79 or 80 i think, from a trip to visit some studios and work on some recordings. He brought back a casette tape copy of a recording he had been at somewhere in California .. He just played it, and said nothing .. It was the "Eruption" Solo from the first Van Halen album .. We actually had a hard time believing that it was just a Floyd Rose equipped "Frankenstrat" and a sh*tload of Marshal Stacks crammed into a very small recording studio.. surely there was some synth work there....??

Eddie Van Halen may not be the most talented or fastest or "able to melt Randy's face off" -- But he completely set a new standard for what could be done with a heavy rock guitar at the time... Just like Jimi had done 10 or more years before that-- The other Metal guitarists just took the cue and built on that .. for that reason my list starts with Jimi and Eddie, but the list of fantastic guitarists is VERY long -- all of them have talent and amazing skills, and a lot of them also have "soul" the ability to play to induce feelings and emotions with their skills and talent ..

·
Registered
400 Posts
My A list: David Gilmour, Slash, Robert Johnson, Jimmy Page, Carlos Santana, Jerry Cantrell, Billy Gibbons, Stevie Ray Vaughn

Most Honorable Mentions: Steve Howe, Angus Young, Kenny Wanye Sheppard, Alex Lifeson, Richie Blackmore, Eddie Van Halen, Prince, Zoltan Bathory, Michael Wilton, Kirk Hammett, Dann Huff, Pat Thrall, Phil Collen

There are so so many more worthy of mention and many more than that not worth listening to, but it depends on an individuals taste in music.

These are some of the guitarist I like to listen to and or who IMO are a cut above average. For my taste in music no one is better to my ear than David Gilmour. Fortunate to have seen Pink Floyd live twice in my life. I can close my eyes and still hear that enchanting melodic sound deep inside. I remember how freaking great Pigs - 3 different ones sounded live out doors. With Rick Wright gone that can never happen again.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts