MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.. i need your advice... i'm in the process of buying more gear and i'm ready to buy boots. I'd like to buy the best boots possible regardless of price. I only care about protection. I dont care about looks. Comfort is second to protection. I'm told that the best there is are made by Frey Daytona (the Security Evo II model). But I'm also told Sidi's Vertigo Corsa are excellent.

I'd really like to hear all of your personal opinions on who makes the best boots. If anyone has any concrete proof of one being better than the other.. even better.

I'm also interested in what everyone thinks in regards to who makes the best one piece suites, gloves and helmets.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Everyone will have different ideas on this...I'm a converted Alpinestars guy....all their gear is great quality, and seams to fit me great. great contemporary look and style and top line saftey too, but on the pricy side.

Alpinestars boots are cool...and not as messy looking as the Sidis....and don't "squeek" like the Sidis either.
Alpinestars upper range of one piece leathers are great, with external protection, which make them very comfortable....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
For Boots, Daytonas IMO. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. Suits there's lots of choice. A/stars like Pete mentioned, Dainese are superb but pricey, I have Furygan stuff myself. I think you'll get lots of ideas from all the guys (and gals) here but I would go and check suits out for yourself, very much a personal thing. :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yes, for boots Daytonas have always been the ultimate. Custom made, custom fit. Sidis are good and easily obtainable. But if money were no object I'd order the Daytonas but would probably need a pair of Sidis to use while I waited for the Daytonas to arrive. :)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Boots, keep in mind that the as a rule the best protection boots are normally the stiffest, with my Sidi's on I struggle to bend my ankle enough to touch the floor! normally I resort to an older pair of Dainese boots.

Leathers, I've got BKS made to measure, mainly because I can't find "off the peg" to fit! but their quality is second to none, and they are VERY heavy when you lift them up, my mate has a set of Dainese leathers, I reckon the BKS are three times heavier, it must say something?

Helmet, Arai Rx7 Corsair, a wonderfully comfortable thing, you'll need ear plugs though its megga noisy, I've just adapted a Shoei nett type thing to go under the front, thats worked a treat.

Gloves, Held are pretty good, they seem to win most tests for abrasion, seam burst and impact.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I think it's pretty unanimous, that non-custom leathers, Dainese will be the best. Your GP guys use it, AMA, WSB, magazine editors, magazine riders....almost all ride Dianese. I understand the racers sometimes don't have a choice, but the editors etc do, and you figure they try on everthing....

I've gotten a chance to wear/look at all of the 06 line of Lookwell stuff, and it's the only other company (Dainese is the other) who stitches thier seams SIX times. They also use top notch liners and have excellent design. I haven't gone down in any of thier stuff, but I'de assume with quality on par or even exceeding Dainese, you can't go wrong.....

All the other gear, I think is all trivial, as helmets are all DOT, ANSI, or BSI rated...so in a crash, they're all good, it's just the creature comforts you get inbetween....

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just posted about Z Custom Leathers in the gear section. Mine feel terrific and fit like a glove. In a perfect world, I would prefer a set of Dainese made from kangaroo but I am afraid to spend the money if I don't know they'll fit. The Z Custom boots I had made fit really well too, but I think Alpinestars or Sidi's probably provide a little better protection (the A-stars & Sidi's are more stiff).

Steve

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
^^ Is that pic of you? Hmm...I woulda thought they woulda let you keep leathers, as I know I wouldn't wanna wear a set of leathers somebody sweat and oozed in before me......hmm, learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
First, I would suggest a one piece leather suit. This protects much better than a two piece.
Then: use the one, which fits you best. If you take one suit of a big manufacturer, you can´t be wrong.

I personally use Dainese leathers because they fit nearly perfect for me without being custom made.
Gloves: only Held.
Boots: at the moment Sidi - I think they are very good.
Helmet: Only Suomy or Arai.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.. what about Kushitani leathers? There is a Kushitani factory store near me in Marina Del Rey. I'm told Kushitani has two versions.. the US and the Japanese. The Japanese version of all their one-piece suites are supposed to be quite a bit better in protection and Kushitani is known for their comfort. Anyone here wearing one of those?

I've also heard of BKS being one of the best. But i've never read a write up on them (or the kushitani leathers) other than whats on their websites or on www.webbikeworld.com. When I asked BKS about the competition they made a reference to the Japanese version of Kushitani leathers... seems like they know of this different version.

I wasn't aware of the Vanson Volante.. i'll look into that too. I tried the Dainese suites and they don't fit me.

So far it seems there's only one person (on this forum) who is familiar with the Frey Daytona. If anyone else has experience in this dept. that'd be helpful. I need to get something in the next month or two and i know if i do choose Daytona it will take a while.

As for gloves i had a pair of Held 15 years ago.. they were great. I will probably buy another pair now that there is some consistency in the responses here.. all of your opinions are very valuable to me.. nothing like real world experience.

I have the RX-7 helmut and it's nice but i'd like to see what else if out there.

Velocemoto.. is that a little toy cow by your foot, for me to use as a scale? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
I have heard that daytonas are the top of the line.

I love my Sidi Vertigo Corse Air's :naughty: offering very stiff ankle protection. I have Dainese 2pc and I love the quality of the leather. Can't go wrong there but unfortunately it doesn't fit well with you well.

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Z Leathers are in Huntington Beach and offer custom fit suits. I have had 2 suits made by them and they fit like a glove, better than any off the rack suit. They really are not that much more than off the rack prices, it is worth the better fit.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to admit that the Sidi's look really nice. Is there anyone here thats gone down in any of these products and can share (or attest) to the results of the products protective capabilities?

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Thanks guys.. what about Kushitani leathers? There is a Kushitani factory store near me in Marina Del Rey. I'm told Kushitani has two versions.. the US and the Japanese. The Japanese version of all their one-piece suites are supposed to be quite a bit better in protection and Kushitani is known for their comfort. Anyone here wearing one of those?
Quite a few people out here sport Kushitani leathers and are quite happy with them. I've been given a one piece set as part of a firesale, haven't worn it other than for fit. (still haven't sorted out going to the track, will get there....)

Personally I'll be looking into some two piece suits (dainese is the front runner, as I have lot of their other stuff and I mostly like it), as I tend to fit off the rack stuff.

Brief user review in this thread from another forum:

http://www.gaijinriders.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1563

-colin

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
oicdn said:
I think it's pretty unanimous, that non-custom leathers, Dainese will be the best. Your GP guys use it, AMA, WSB, magazine editors, magazine riders....almost all ride Dianese....
I think hardly any of the guys wear Dianese..apart from Rossi and Pedrosa.

Stoner, Hayden, Roberts, Checa, Hopkins all were Alpinestars, Giberneau, Melandi, Edwards all wear Spidi...
Arlen Ness are big in SBK with Bayliss, Pitt, Toseland, Lanzi and Barros while Corser, Haga, Martin, Jones and Muggeridge all wear A.stars...Kagiyama and Walker wear Spidi ....I'm actually scratching my head to think of any SBK Frontrunner that wears Dianese ???

AMA...lots wear Joe rocket
Hardly any British or Aussie Journos wear Dianese.

"almost all ride Dianese" is just plain wrong mate.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Velocemoto said:

Stoner, Hayden, Roberts, Checa, Hopkins all were Alpinestars, Giberneau, Melandi, Edwards all wear Spidi...
Arlen Ness are big in SBK with Bayliss, Pitt, Toseland, Lanzi and Barros while Corser, Haga, Martin, Jones and Muggeridge all wear A.stars...Kagiyama and Walker wear Spidi ....I'm actually scratching my head to think of any SBK Frontrunner that wears Dianese ???

Biaggi used to, a few other 250 and 125, can't remember their names off the top of my head, but certainly there are more a* riders.

I don't own Kushitani leathers but I do have their GP4 gloves(love it), I have also tried on their suits, FYI my Yamaha dealer is located just across the street from Kushitani and a few guys who work there have Kushitani suits and have said great things about them.

I think Kushitani suits are very very high quality but is more geared for the track than street, if I remember correctly they use soft armour mostly... they have 2 standard sizing systems(Japanese and Euro/American), also have a semi custom program as well as a full custom program and priced accordingly... but certainly very high quality stuff.

I have a pair of Sidi Vertebra Race from 2003, they have protected me well: I have been down on the track(low side)at about 40 mph a fewe times and I was fine, the boots' external pieces are replaceable so you can give the boots an extreme make over after a crash and return it to nearly new condition, both aesthetically and functionally.

hopefully this helps...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well that's just this season. Bayliss wore Dainese for years. In BSB Shakey Byrne and James Haydon wear Dainese. Dainese are premier class without a doubt.

BTW I had a very bad crash just over two months ago and I broke my ankle and hand. I ran wide into a mountain side at speed I took a full impact hit on my knee and had a huge amount of fluid on my knee which had to be drained off but the knee is fine now I also had a few bruises but that was allthe Dainese Bora suit held up really well until the fire brigade cut me out of it!

My ankle was broken at the fibula when I was thrown from the bike I was wearing Dayton evo sport boots, my right boot is pretty mangled from hitting and "pinging" down the rock face my left boot has hardly a scratch but that was the ankle that I broke. Still I figure that with the twisting forces something would have to give and if it wasn't the ankle the force would have spread up my leg to the next weakest point which was my knee!!
I plan to get my boots repaired and use them again.

I was wearing Alpinestars GP pro gloves and will replace the with something more substaintial. As they took a hammering and did not hold up too well and I broke (smashed) my hand in 3 places!! I will probably go with GP tech unless I can find a better glove.

Velocemoto said:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts