MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s ur brand of oil for your f4 from ur personal experience ? Motul, Mobil,Castrol, eni?? Gonna do an oil change soon on my newly acquired MY10 f4

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
A quick search should lamd you tons of info on this, it's a surprisingly personal and polarizing topic to some :)

I've got a B4 (practically the same motor woth lower rpms) and stick with Motul 7100. Works fine, though if I go late on a change it gets pretty nasty. I use eom filters, won't touch a reuseable one, but I'm sure there may be a better oil choice. It works for me thoughn so I'll stick with it.

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I use Motorex powesynt since many years!

·
Administrator
20,371 Posts
Oh Goodie...another oil thread !!! :banghead:

I use what the owner manual recommends.

·
Administrator
20,371 Posts
Agip(now eni) it is
I buy mine by the case directly from Eni USA (used to be Agip). My bike calls for 10w60 full synth. Even with shipping it is less than a dealer price. Of course, I have enough for more than a couple of oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
22,630 Posts
@Majmv: So, are you going to use Motul? I mean it does have the most recommendations here, in this thread, today.

I'm not sure where you live in this world, so making an oil recommendation for your bike, your weather, and your riding style is nigh on impossible. What I use and recommend for oil may not be available to you in your country. Furthermore, it may not suit your wallet.

AS has been said, the recommended oil is in the user's manual. That is what the manufacturer suggests. I am not smarter than them. I do have personal preference based on a bunch of reading.

I will say this: Use a quality oil of the proper viscosity and rating. Change it within the maintenance schedule. The bike will be fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Majmv: So, are you going to use Motul? I mean it does have the most recommendations here, in this thread, today.

I'm not sure where you live in this world, so making an oil recommendation for your bike, your weather, and your riding style is nigh on impossible. What I use and recommend for oil may not be available to you in your country. Furthermore, it may not suit your wallet.

AS has been said, the recommended oil is in the user's manual. That is what the manufacturer suggests. I am not smarter than them. I do have personal preference based on a bunch of reading.

I will say this: Use a quality oil of the proper viscosity and rating. Change it within the maintenance schedule. The bike will be fine.
@silentservice I will use whatever brand you use. I’m practically ur neighbor. I’m from wayland ma. Duxbury is like an hr 15 min ride from me. Also tell me what kind of coolant you use. I was gonna with water wetter to run it cooler around town. But I heard it doesn’t have Anti freeze. It will be garages but As u know the weather in New England was crazy I don’t wanna risk my radiator n hoses. Does engine ice have anti freeze in it??

·
Super Moderator
22,630 Posts
@Majmv: Wayland is quite close. I am on the Kingston end of Duxbury, very near Route 3. Bring that Bad Boy by and I'll go through it with you if you would like.

I am an AMSOil fan and have been using it in all of my engines, lawn mower included, for a very long time. Filters tend to be Purolater when they fit my application.

Engine Ice is anti-freeze. It is what I use in all of my bikes. It is Propylene Glycol vs. Ethylene Glycol. It comes ready to use. We can do a flush-and-fill here if you would like that. Changing coolant is a bit of a chore on these bikes and it helps to have some extra hands. The flush between Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol is necessary as the two are incompatible.

Water Wetter, as you have been correctly told, is not anti-freeze.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Majmv: Wayland is quite close. I am on the Kingston end of Duxbury, very near Route 3. Bring that Bad Boy by and I'll go through it with you if you would like.

I am an AMSOil fan and have been using it in all of my engines, lawn mower included, for a very long time. Filters tend to be Purolater when they fit my application.

Engine Ice is anti-freeze. It is what I use in all of my bikes. It is Propylene Glycol vs. Ethylene Glycol. It comes ready to use. We can do a flush-and-fill here if you would like that. Changing coolant is a bit of a chore on these bikes and it helps to have some extra hands. Teh flush between Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol is necessary as the two are incompatible.

Water Wetter, as you have been correctly told, is not anti-freeze.
I would love to bring it by if it’s not too much trouble for you. I just picked the bike up a few weeks ago. I am really busy with work plus in 2 weeks I will be out of the country until March 23. I wanted to change the oil, coolant, brake fluid clutch fluid and clean lube the chain before I went but can’t. I know the coolant flush n fill will be difficult cuz now correct me if I am wrong but I would have to raise the front section of the bike before adding more coolant. I will gladly take your help with the coolant. I can do everything else by myself. My cousin already scared me that I will get air in my cooling system. But I will gladly bring her down there and we can go over her together. She is still new to me and getting to know her. I will pm you soon.

·
Super Moderator
22,630 Posts
Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I buy mine by the case directly from Eni USA (used to be Agip). My bike calls for 10w60 full synth. Even with shipping it is less than a dealer price. Of course, I have enough for more than a couple of oil changes.
Quick question, how do you order it ? I went on there website and couldn’t figure out how ?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just to add to the options list, I personally use Penrite MC-4ST 10W60 in my B4 750. Spec on this is better than all the other top brands, like Motul etc. Don't know about availability in the US. I've used Penrite in all my bikes from classic to modern, as they have many oils in their range, for almost 30 years, and no problems.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Another one for Penrite here. Classic Australian company. Gets it done without much fan fare of many other brands. You can pay for the marketing or you can pay for the product.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have used un my F4 1000s Motul 300v 15/50 (i didn't liked that after 1500km it became like water in viscosity-maybe its suitable for racing but not for longs intervals. It only an opinion).
Then used 7100 10/60. Nothing wrong to say.
I used Silkolene Pro4 XP 10/60
Now i have Maxima Maxum extra4 15/50.

Good brand, factory specs, sealed container...and you go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts