MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Had a slight annoyance - lost my balance (tall bike short legs!) and laid the bike over on my sloped drive - managed to hold it most of the way so it pivoted mainly on the gear lever and footpeg.
Gear lever fairly easy to pull back into shape but the main footpeg bracket has been distorted.
Anyone got any ideas how to straighten the bracket without marking the metal?
Cheers Graham

Attachments

Registered
Good luck with that. Heat is the obvious helper, if it's possible to detach the rubber grips. I would take the peg off, clamp it in a good vice with smooth steel jaws. Make a long bar out of a solid piece of hardwood with a hole that slides over the peg. Heat it up with a heatgun and see if you can manipulate it back in shape using the wooden tool.

Registered
Sorry about the mishap, it happens to the best of us.
Those are cast alum pieces and, in general, once they are bent, the game's over. While I am still not a metallurgist, they generally crack if you try to force them back to shape. Nevertheless, it's no good the way it is, so it's worth a try to bend back. But I would heat them up with alot more than a hair dryer to attempt a straightening - perhaps the oven. I would also do this off the bike, using a fixture and keep in mind that it may not have the strength of the original part due to cracks you cannot see and the stress of bending it back. Since this part, should it fail after you fix it, could cause a crash, I would buck up and replace it. Not worth the risk or aggravation.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the replies
Straighten what I can and live with it or buy new part!
Anyone know any breakers that will ship to uk at reasonable prices?
Graham

Registered
Straighten what I can and live with it or buy new part!
Live with the fix?

Bent brake lever, bent half handlebar, bent foot peg if aluminum, ergal or other alloy,
I replace with new parts.

Ended a long trip with bent right peg and half broken rear brake.
When the peg plate finally broke
things went quickly from bad to worse.

Having that part suddenly failing under stress,
when you survive you'll figure out that new part isn't that expensive.

Anyone know any breakers that will ship to uk at reasonable prices?
Motoricambi
But they don't carry your foot peg bracket.
And this part I wouldn't get second hand or foot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts