MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had high hopes after his WSBK championship, but he never materialized in MotoGP unfortunately. Waiting patiently for the next great American rider.

Ben Spies announces retirement from racing http://flip.it/EITYo

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
That's a shame, really liked him, don't know what happened to his 2nd year in the factory Yamaha team, a complete flip on the year before?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The guy was great to watch on AMA and WSBk.

I called it, he wasn't going to do much in MotoGP and was going to be in the 5-10 range along with Edwards and Hayden.

It would have been great to see him do well in WSBk. There is no shame in going from MotoGP to WSBk, Bayliss did it and he was awesome, and so did Biagi

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
That's a crying shame, I always liked Ben, well mannered, well spoken and a class act, win, lose or draw. Certainly a sponsor's dream to have a guy like fronting your product.

Daniel, I am not getting that he is going to WSBK from the article, my take is that the injuries are seeing him call it quits, period.

We really only saw the absolute best of Ben once in Moto GP - the day he won as Assen, he really did show what a talent he was - I was one of those hoping that win (and the way he rode to achieve it) would have catapulted him to consistently show that talent at the pointy end - sadly for us & the sport, it never happened.

I wish him all the very best for the future, "Class" will be the legacy he leaves behind.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Mat Mladin on Spies' Retirement From Racing
by dean adams
Monday, October 28, 2013
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Oct/1310281166.htm

Newly retired racer Ben Spies will be known for many things in his career: Spies won the WSBK world title in his first try, easily knocked back Rookie of the Year honors in Grand Prix and won a GP at one of the most historic tracks in the world--Assen.

That said, what Spies may well be most well known for is his intense rivalry with Australian Mat Mladin when the pair raced factory Suzuki Superbikes for Yoshimura here in the US. Spies and Mladin hated each other more than any two teammates since the era when Wayne Rainey and Fred Merkel barely tolerated each other in the mid-1980s on Team Honda.

So, what does Mladin think of Spies' early retirement? Judging by his response, Spies and Mladin won't be arranging a traveling pub show where they offer warm tributes, toasting the good old days.

Asked for comment on Spies retirement, Mladin responded with just two words: "F*#king pussy."

Mladin refused to be drawn out on the subject, saying "You got my quote."

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Hey Ian, Matt is from our neighbourhood down here, the same area that raised Wayne Gardner, Troy Corser and Peter Goddard.

We can't win them all - for all Matt's God given talent apart from in the US Super bikes he fell a long way short of what he should have achieved, most notably in Moto GP or the 500s as they were back then. He has never hidden from that fact that for him it was all about money..............shows.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Absolute shame in my books, i was a big fan of Spies and his riding style was something of joy to watch. I'll miss elbows in GP next year more so than i did this year.

Mladin was always a wank

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Isn't Spies' momma a loon?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mat Mladin on Spies' Retirement From Racing
by dean adams
Monday, October 28, 2013
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Oct/1310281166.htm

Newly retired racer Ben Spies will be known for many things in his career: Spies won the WSBK world title in his first try, easily knocked back Rookie of the Year honors in Grand Prix and won a GP at one of the most historic tracks in the world--Assen.

That said, what Spies may well be most well known for is his intense rivalry with Australian Mat Mladin when the pair raced factory Suzuki Superbikes for Yoshimura here in the US. Spies and Mladin hated each other more than any two teammates since the era when Wayne Rainey and Fred Merkel barely tolerated each other in the mid-1980s on Team Honda.

So, what does Mladin think of Spies' early retirement? Judging by his response, Spies and Mladin won't be arranging a traveling pub show where they offer warm tributes, toasting the good old days.

Asked for comment on Spies retirement, Mladin responded with just two words: "F*#king pussy."

Mladin refused to be drawn out on the subject, saying "You got my quote."
I like spies, but i kinda agree with Mladin.

Spies quits too easily.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
A bit harsh to comment as an outsider. At first I thought something similar as Mladin but then I realized I don't know the details of Spies' injuries. If the guy can't ride, he can't ride!

If his injuries prevent him from riding at a competitive level, what's the point of continuing to punish his body and risk worse injuries to fight for some finishes somewhere in mid field?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Rob,
I wasn't saying that Spies is going to race WSBk but rather thought he should.
I don't know the level of his injuries or why he is leaving MotoGP so who knows.

Spies and Mladin made the AMA interesting. Mladin was criticized for staying in AMA and never going into other more competitive classes. I remember someone saying the Mat was "a big fish in a little pond" hence his 7 AMA championships. Mat came in second to Ben in 06-08 when they raced in the same class on the same bike.

Cheers Ben

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Thanks Daniel for clearing that up :)

I agree with you 100% if he could, he would be great in WSBK - the more I read though the less likely any kind of racing is on the horizon.

I reckon Balz has got it right - ' If his injuries prevent him from riding at a competitive level, what's the point of continuing to punish his body and risk worse injuries to fight for some finishes somewhere in mid field?' can't really argue with that logic.

Whatever he chooses I certainly do wish him all the very best and thank him for what he brought to the sport.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts