MV Agusta Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Tire Wheel Helmet Motorcycle helmet Vehicle

Plus if you do take a pillion on occasion, it seems to be the last sportsbike with a double seat that they will actually be half comfortable on.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Everything since seems to put the pillion 6 inches higher and poised to fly over your shoulders when you hit the brakes 馃榿

Registered
2022 F3 Rosso
Mine is F4i (FI, not carbed). Clock goes up to 150mph, but I'm sure it kept pulling a little bit beyond that when I tried a vmax run.
Much more low down torque than an r6, but still doesn't really get going til 10k revs plus.
Long live the 600 F4 LOL

Looks like we have a winner by majority concensus...?

AF1's brother needs an F4i (if he is into sportbikes, that is) :)

Registered
Here we have a case where a kid has his head on correct wanting a 400cc starter (I recommend Z400, have had trouble with the Duke 390 engine, even after the head gasket fix) and his older brother trying to get him a big bike for a starter. I'd not recommend the 600cc supersport as a 1st bike. I'm not in the consensus. The parallel and naked vtwins like the Z400, SV650, small Monster are better to learn with more friendly low rpm torque for beginners that won't hit 150+ mph.

Registered
2022 F3 Rosso
Here we have a case where a kid has his head on correct wanting a 400cc starter (I recommend Z400, have had trouble with the Duke 390 engine, even after the head gasket fix) and his older brother trying to get him a big bike for a starter. I'd not recommend the 600cc supersport as a 1st bike. I'm not in the consensus. The parallel and naked vtwins like the Z400, SV650, small Monster are better to learn with more friendly low rpm torque for beginners that won't hit 150+ mph.
True story here... When one of my good friends from work got his first bike, an SV650, he had a buddy of ours go pick it up from the dealer and ride it up to our work for him, because the dealer was relatively far and my friend didnt want to ride on the highway yet. So, our friend rode it up to work for him, and my friend was going to "test ride" it around the big parking lot in front of the office to get used to it. The first time swinging a leg over it, my friend accidentally rev'd it up to much, popp'd the clutch accidentally, pulled a huge wheelie across the parking lot and slammed right into the side of a limo parked in the lot. New bike mauled, 5k in damage to the limo, and even more damage to my friend's ego (luckily, not body).
He did the same thing in traffic about a year later, trying to show off for some people in traffic from a redlight. Yet another trip to the repair shop, and more ego bruising.
Main points being (1) SV650's and other twin-cyclinder bikes with any low-end torque and short wheelbases are not inherently more newbie friendly IMO, and (2) if you ride anything stupidly, you will pay. Torque, not HP and associated speed potential, pop's wheelies and spins back tires.
I still maintain my opinion of get what you want, and just dont be stupid with it. I will say if the kid wants an RC390, that is actually a cool bike. I actually wanted one for a play bike when they came out, and maybe to get in track riding...until I learned they almost all blow-up. That is why I wouldnt recommend that specific one. Personally, I like the R3 for a lightweight sportbike, but the ninja 400 seems to be the most popular choice these days.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hello guys, thanks everyone for taking the time to answer.. I finally bought him an Aprilia RS125 2 stroke from 2008 which surprisingly is still restricted. So he can start on it as it is and later we can derestrict it.

Old Wing Nut
Good choice !!!

Reactions: AF1
21 - 28 of 28 Posts