MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bearings Bloody Bearings?

I've just had my 910s in for its 18000km (12000 mile) service. No problems with the service itself, but they had to replace the twin race bearing in the hub and charged me €300 for the privilege. I also had it replaced at 9500km also for €300! I wasn't expecting the bearing to go so quickly or cost so much, and these prices are excluding labour costs!!
I'm wondering if it's possible to obtain a cheaper and better bearing that I could fit myself?
I would love to upgrade to a Mitchy hub, but sadly don't have the finances to do so, especially as my wife also has a Brutale.
Sharon's (my wife!!) Brutale S has done 8500km, so I'd like to inspect the hub and change the bearing if necessary.
Should I also replace the two seals or just the bearing? What grease do you recommend, that can be purchased here in Europe?
And one final question, is it straightforward to do the bearing change myself? I've never attempted a bearing change before but am pretty mechanically minded.
I'll be really grateful for any help and info.

Cheers, Dave.

P.S. My dealer is DipiMoto in the Netherlands. Great mechanic but bloody expensive going by the cost of the bearings.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
CBR bearings has what you need. Ask Noel about them, he has all the information. 300 Euro for bearing seems like a lot.

Is your chain too tight? Why are your bearings wearing out so quickly?

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Yeah... This is what they charge standard for this work. But I thought that they had an upgrade bearing which wears out less...

Anyway, on this forum there should be enough information to find to do the work yourself. Noel, Mitch posted enough about it.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I've just had my 910s in for its 18000km (12000 mile) service. No problems with the service itself, but they had to replace the twin race bearing in the hub and charged me €300 for the privilege. I also had it replaced at 9500km also for €300! I wasn't expecting the bearing to go so quickly or cost so much, and these prices are excluding labour costs!!
I'm wondering if it's possible to obtain a cheaper and better bearing that I could fit myself?
I would love to upgrade to a Mitchy hub, but sadly don't have the finances to do so, especially as my wife also has a Brutale.
Sharon's (my wife!!) Brutale S has done 8500km, so I'd like to inspect the hub and change the bearing if necessary.
Should I also replace the two seals or just the bearing? What grease do you recommend, that can be purchased here in Europe?
And one final question, is it straightforward to do the bearing change myself? I've never attempted a bearing change before but am pretty mechanically minded.

Cheers, Dave.

P.S. My dealer is DipiMoto in the Netherlands. Great mechanic but bloody expensive going by the cost of the bearings.
Blimey..That seems a bit steep :wtf:

The bearing ..It's only the twin row wheel side that causes grief...I would pull the hub myself..buy a bearing..that would be under Euro 50.00 talk to Noel the Knurl...
Fitting..as I work from home shop I prefer to give my bearing removal to my Engineer friend and he would pop the old one out and pop the new one in for me for less than Euro 20.00.

I could do it myself but H has all the gear and makes light work of it so why bother..

joe

ps you could buy a hub and bearings for E 300.00 ; )

·
Registered
5,578 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bearing is the updated version according to the shop!!
The chain isn't too tight and the pinch bolts are correctly torqued, so I've no idea why I'm getting excessive wear. The bike has never been subjected to jetwashing and has hardly seen a drop of rain

Cheers, Dave.

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
The bearings need inspection, clean and renew grease, but should not require replacement so soon. My 208 910R has over 20,000 miles and I have not needed to replace the bearings yet.

I use a Valvoline product CV Joint grease when I service them. Very high pressure/high temp grease.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
The bearing is the updated version according to the shop!!
The chain isn't too tight and the pinch bolts are correctly torqued, so I've no idea why I'm getting excessive wear. The bike has never been subjected to jetwashing and has hardly seen a drop of rain

Cheers, Dave.
Hmmmm... Did Pieter actually show you the worn out bearing??

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Did we forget that the manual recommends replacement of original bearings at 8K or something like that ?

What's the labour charge per hour in EU at the moment, a shop can charge for up to 2 hrs to service a hub.

Does DipiMoto, replace both bearings ? They've been racing MV's for a very looooong time you know.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
bearings?

what a rip off:jerkoff:

$400 for a $34 bearing and changing it:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Donsy;
the bearings are 'serviced' at 12,000 and 24,000, the hub is to be replaced at 36,000

Dave;
i've supplied 100s of these bearings and as yet no one has reported a single failure

you'll spend far more time cleaning parts than changing the bearing

as Ed said use CV joint EP grease, available everywhere

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Did we forget that the manual recommends replacement of original bearings at 8K or something like that ?

What's the labour charge per hour in EU at the moment, a shop can charge for up to 2 hrs to service a hub.

Does DipiMoto, replace both bearings ? They've been racing MV's for a very looooong time you know.
What I understood is that they change both bearing. I Don't know their exact rate but it must be around €60 per hour. The €300 is over there the standard tariff for hub revision. I payed the same thing two years ago.
But... I was not aware Dipi is racing MV's... The owner might do an occasional trackday, but never heard of racing. What I know is that their mechanicien has huge experience with MV. He worked on them from the beginning and is very efficient is his work. Normally that makes the Dipi prices reasonable.

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts

Cheers, Dave.

Love the heading Dave.:laughing::laughing:With all the money you have spent on hub bearing replacement you could have bought a hub by now that doesn't fail.:jsm:

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
Wtf??????

Dave/Donsy;
they charged you €300 for the bearing, not including labor

FUCK ME, they are total thieves

i would recommend that you buy 2 hubs from Mitch and install them yourself

barring that, PM me your address...

i will send you 2 3810-2RS bearings and some O-rings for the fuel pump plate and quick disconnects.....

for FREE

Dave;
you don't need seals or the needle bearing
the only special tools you'll need are;
>snap ring pliers with 0.090" tips for the brake backing plate
>pliers to hold the stupid Seeger ring in place so you can use a scribe/awl to remove the POS....yes, you can leave the POS out......the axle keeps the bearing in
the grease is CV joint EP grease available everywhere

i want you and Sharon on the road and safe

PM me your address...they'll go out in the morning's post

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
No Noel, it is including labor. And expensive anyways.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
yep,mitchy just waiting for mine to go again,and will be getting one from you,the ini wheel nut side bearing i think cost me 200 to 240.00 dollars.in other words the tapered bearing.

cheers eddy

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
Eddy,try and do it before the next failure,you might even save yourself some cost.:smoking:

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
cost?

Erik;
Dave said €300/$400 for the bearing no labor:jsm:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts