MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Got a scare on a mountain ride the other day. Heard some noise from the front end, then felt some vibration and had to pull over.

As you can see, my front wheel bearing completely disintegrated. Pretty scary, as we were going fairly fast during parts of that ride.

So, anyone else have this issue on a 07 f4 1000R? Bike is at 13k miles, but from what I know has been serviced regularly. Also, anyone recommend a good bearing for her? Anything that meets or exceeds the OEM Spec?

Jimmy

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Bearings fail mate, that bike is almost 10 years old. I'm surprised you didn't feel or hear before it got this bad.
Anyway, as per Tech Tips section, it's a common bearing so easy to replace, glad it didn't get any more dangerous for you mate !

·
Registered
263 Posts
Seems like way too little mileage for such a bearing failure. I've got a 1979 Honda CBX with over 45,000 miles on the original wheel bearings and they are still in great shape. I have lots of other bikes in the mid 20's and have never had to replace a wheel bearing, yet.

Are you the original owner? Perhaps someone used a pressure washer to clean the bike and forced water into the bearings.

My 2007 F4 has about 11,000 miles on it and now I'll have one more thing to check regularly!!

Eric

·
Registered
14,489 Posts
?

the problem Eric is the dipshits at MV picked a 6907-2RS bearing

the duty category for this bearing is "Extremely Light" not a wise choice

any good brand of bearing will do

6907-2RS

:drummer:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the problem Eric is the dipshits at MV picked a 6907-2RS bearing

the duty category for this bearing is "Extremely Light" not a wise choice

any good brand of bearing will do

6907-2RS

Thanks TheKnurl! I saw that another forum recommended the EZO 6907-2RS for a "better than OEM" replacement. I'll get 2 of them on order now.

However, since this is a "Extremely Light" duty bearing, should I replace these things every time I get a new front tire? Or even sooner?!

Jimmy

·
Registered
263 Posts
the problem Eric is the dipshits at MV picked a 6907-2RS bearing the duty category for this bearing is "Extremely Light" not a wise choice any good brand of bearing will do 6907-2RS

Damn! I thought those balls looked kind of small. Just checked the specs on the 6907-2rs bearing and it definitely looks way undersized for the job. I wonder if the wheel hub has enough meat to be bored for a bigger bearing. Shoot, the bearings from my Honda Trail 90 look better suited!

·
Registered
14,489 Posts
?

Jimmy:

You'll need a long knockout punch with a sharp edge......

or a blind hole bearing puller you'll need a 35mm one

start on the "good" bearing...... it's a PITA to do ......put tape over the bad bearing so the

balls won't fall out, because the cage is broken/gone

with both out clean everything... disassemble the bad bearing and grind the OD of one

end to make a press piece you only need to grind ~1-2 mm so it can't stick in the wheel

now pad the big end of the axle and clamp it in a vise.....

drop a new bearing on the axle, then the spacer tube, the wheel and the 2nd bearing

the bearings are perfectly aligned.....tap the upper one in with the ground outer race

now flip the wheel and install the 2nd bearing

I use minimal torque on the axle nut....... it's held by the pinch bolts

the wheel bearings failed in my Mg Marchesinis......the 2nd and 3rd wheel bearing

failures I've ever seen......the 1st was the chicken shit bearing on my KTM 640

:popcorn:

·
Registered
666 Posts
one thing of caution when removing the old bearing try to keep as square as possible. tap evenly all around. if you get it cocked it's possible to egg the hub and that's a problem. remember the bearing is ground harden steel , the hub is not. a blind hole bearing puller is the correct tool. the punch will work just be careful.

the cost of a replacment wheel was why i bought the puller.
GL

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
However, since this is a "Extremely Light" duty bearing, should I replace these things every time I get a new front tire? Or even sooner?!

Jimmy
No mate, that's completely unnecessary, they're not the best of bearings but they certainly not that prone to failure, I've never had one fail on any of by wheels, I know of some bikes who's done over 50 000km without a bearing failure on this forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts