MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
todays ride turned bad the imfamous gorge road in adelaide takes another life fellow rider put his r1 into a cliff face RIP

rob:banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
Damn. How far up Gorge? A large amount of the guard railing (all of it now?) has the 'bike friendly' padding which is good to see. Of course there's still a lot of exposed rock in sections.

You know I have trouble fathoming the speeds one would have to travel at along Gorge Rd to actually come off. It's such a smooth and easy road. Not to mention the fact it's heavily policed. Leave the speeding for the track - it's more fun.

I'm not impressed by road speed - anyone pushing on roads like these needs their head checked.

RIP.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
damn. that's a crappy day out. sorry to hear about the news. RIP.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Bummer...hope you and your mate are OK too - that kind of experience can rattle you a little.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
It's always a tragedy when this happens. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Sorry to hear that, RIP. Rob, as said above I hope you and your friend are doing ok - it's never nice to hear of something like this let alone be first on scene

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Rip

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
That's a terrible shame - RIP and condolences to the family :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that his picture in your album?

The street is not a track.

RIP

no thats another mate i'm ok unfortunately i've been in this situation before several times it's not a nice feeling.my friend who tried cpr knew the guy who died so he's alot worse than me
stay upright everyone rob:f4:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Real Shame.You have to feel for a fellow rider and his folks...RIP

..My friend had a bad one at end of October and he's due out of hospital in a few weeks hopefully...He got broken up pretty bad and seriously hurt by road rash....I've always tried to wear the gear to protect but occasionally I can't be bothered and go out in regular jeans..Those days are gone..I just invested in some decent leather jeans with protection for knees etc...
5 minutes putting gear on or 6 months in hospital...It's a no brainer...

·
Registered
79 Posts
todays ride turned bad the imfamous gorge road in adelaide takes another life fellow rider put his r1 into a cliff face RIP

rob:banghead:
I logged on this morning and stopped reading when I got to this real life story, my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

I logged off and went to work but this incidient keeps popping up in my thoughts.

So do I feel sad for our fellow rider. I'd have to say no, but I do for his family and friends.

We go (including myself) out on public roads with all the best machinary and believe we are invincible. We also know what can happen, as they tell you at every track day riders breif.
"Motorcycling is dangerous and can result in injury or death". At least you are in a controlled enviorement, so I'm with the other suggested coments.

SAVE IT FOR THE TRACK

As I am not ridding on the raod for awhile, Ive had plenty of time to think about the way I have ridden for the last 30 odd years, which after reading about this story has confirmed my thoughts. I am a tosser.

I obiviously think only of myself and dont think about what my family would have to go through if I was to end up like our fellow rider.
I hope I can change my previous habbits.

·
Registered
867 Posts
+ 1 on the above the comments, i lost a fellow rider a few years ago i didnt know him that well but he was a character that i would have loved to got to know better!! Since then i really turned my speed down and do save it for the track, by far the best place.

My sympathies go out to your mate and his family.

james

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
It sucks big time when someone looses a life perhaps more so when it is a fellow rider.

There is no doubt that motorbike riding is dangerous, even more so if on the road. And unfortunately, if we ride for long enough we will know someone who has a serious life changing accident or someone who is killed. Whether that person is someone we hear about on the internet, a close friend or family member we all feel sorrow for the loss of a life. There is also no doubt that speed, or rather inappropriate speed, is a contributing factor in many crashes (been there, done that).

I am of the opinion that todays sports bikes are just too good especially in the brakes and hp/speed departments for around 80% of the riders (even on the track). Modern brakes stop heaps quicker than ever before but are also heaps easier to lock the front in an adverse braking situation and I think it is probably better scenario to take a bit longer to stop than to crash in the process of stopping. This stunning performance (handling, brakes and engine) of today's bikes inspires riders to ride above their ability which is fine until a situation arises and then the proverbial hits the fan, but at higher speeds which in turn translate to worse injuries.

I find that in order to have 'fun' on my now old 2003 750 F4 I have too travel at speeds of 140 km/h plus which is inappropriate on public roads (speed limit of 100 km/h). I actually have just as much fun at speeds far closer to the designated speed limits on the older bikes (1979 900 SS Ducati or 1986 750 F1 Ducati) which are basically older tyre, frame, brake, etc technology and with less hp primarily because the older bikes are not as good. This became very evident on a recent track day when swapping a 1981 TT2 Ducati replica for a 1995 748 SP Ducati. The 748 was just heaps easier to ride (less effort at greater speeds). I also know quite a few riders of 1970s Italian steeds who are heaps faster than people on modern high performance sports bikes (except for the straights but then corners are where the fun is).

We are going to ride on the road and at inappropriate speeds and we all know such riding is better taken to the track. With this in mind it is beter to ride within your abilities on the road and leave the testing of one's manhood (the limits of your riding) to the track.

Lets just hope that any incidents only result in a damaged bike and minor injuries. The bike can always be repaired or replaced although it may take some time and money. As for one's life ... once it's gone that's it, forever.

·
Registered
876 Posts
This stunning performance (handling, brakes and engine) of today's bikes inspires riders to ride above their ability which is fine until a situation arises and then the proverbial hits the fan, but at higher speeds which in turn translate to worse injuries.

I've been thinking about this lately. I keep raising the bar successfully but will have no instinct to rely on when it hits the fan so much quicker than I can respond to.

But like a junkie.....:brutale:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts