MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I begin to realize that my cush drive rubbers may be toast. Jerkiness is really awful these days at 6000km.
The F3 800 RC 2018, while being a Euro 4 bike still carries the old style Euro 3 cush drive unit apparently.

I have contacted my dealer to check if MV is willing to "recall" my old drive entirely for a newer one. If not, I'll just change the rubbers and look closer at the BDS-system, which looks really nice. Any long term experiences of them so far?
I've not made much mileage with the BDS Carrier. What I can say at this stage : much better feeling in response to the acceleration, and while the previous sprocket carrier required changes of silent blocks after 3-4k km, I've already done more than double with no requirements for change. And I also know some people who made more than 30k km without a single issue and no changes of silend blocks with the BDS carrier...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've not made much mileage with the BDS Carrier. What I can say at this stage : much better feeling in response to the acceleration, and while the previous sprocket carrier required changes of silent blocks after 3-4k km, I've already done more than double with no requirements for change. And I also know some people who made more than 30k km without a single issue and no changes of silend blocks with the BDS carrier...
That's good to hear Marc, and very reassuring.
The price isn't all to bad for a good looking quality product either.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That's good to hear Marc, and very reassuring.
The price isn't all to bad for a good looking quality product either.
Price wise, it is a bit more than if you change the sprocket carrier by the OEM post 2018 from MV Agusta... Ultimately, when you are inclined to change, it's a no brainer..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Price wise, it is a bit more than if you change the sprocket carrier by the OEM post 2018 from MV Agusta... Ultimately, when you are inclined to change, it's a no brainer..
Yeah, I'll be going for that solution. The dealer just confirmed at MV would not just give me a better unit, as expected :p
Temporary rubber-cushions ordered until I get get my hands on the BDS unit.
Is it difficult to install by yourself with just a rear stand?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah, I'll be going for that solution. The dealer just confirmed at MV would not just give me a better unit, as expected :p
Temporary rubber-cushions ordered until I get get my hands on the BDS unit.
Is it difficult to install by yourself with just a rear stand?
I did not installed myself, as it was done during a periodic maintenance at my delaer. That being said, it should be fearly easy to install, but with a center stand: the rear stand is set on the sprocket carrier side.

By the way, it's also suggested to change the spacer between hub and sprocket carrier as the OEM one may have been wore out (especially if the original rubber cushions wore out quickly). One spacer from BDS was installed at the same time than the BDS sprocket carrier...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks! Guess I'll have to get it installed at my dealers place then, if they want to. They don't seem very inclined to bolt 3rdparty stuff onto the bikes unless you bought it from them...
I'll look into the spacer thing you mention as well.

·
Administrator
20,396 Posts
You could do it without lifting the bike....just have a friend hold it upright, or lean it against something on the right side.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Judging from the workshop manual I see now that it shouldn't be too hard. As long as the wheel doesn't need to come off (it doesn't seem like it?).

Also Marc: Is this the spacer you mentioned?

·
Administrator
20,396 Posts
Wheel does not need to come off.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Judging from the workshop manual I see now that it shouldn't be too hard. As long as the wheel doesn't need to come off (it doesn't seem like it?).

Also Marc: Is this the spacer you mentioned?
Yes it is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Helo!
I just run into this problem with the rear sprocket freeplay... I found this BDS solution and considering order. But, I am not sure about the colors - please - check my image, If I understand correctly the BDS configurator.

English is not my natie language, so I am not sure, if "Sprocket wheel adaptor" is the one with bigger diameter (underneath) or with smaller diameter (with the spline inside)?

Or - to put the thing more simple - does my configuration match the photo?

Cheers!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Helo!
I just run into this problem with the rear sprocket freeplay... I found this BDS solution and considering order. But, I am not sure about the colors - please - check my image, If I understand correctly the BDS configurator.

English is not my natie language, so I am not sure, if "Sprocket wheel adaptor" is the one with bigger diameter (underneath) or with smaller diameter (with the spline inside)?

Or - to put the thing more simple - does my configuration match the photo?

Cheers!

View attachment 479948
I had some doubts myself when ordering my kit. I droped a mail to Daniel from BDS, and he replied quickly to confirm what to order. This is probably the safer way. To contact Daniel, just use the contact infor from the website.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Haha, I had the same problem when ordering last week, so I just gambled on mostly black with red "Cush drive rubbers".
Can confirm that Daniel is indeed very quick to respond. It was no problem for them to customize an order via mail/PayPal so I could avoid double taxations when importing to Norway, thankfully.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have had the BDS and Mitchs hub for eight thousand miles and is working flawlessly. Daniel is great to work with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
And does this BDS sprocket adapter really solves the issue of rear sprocket freeplay shown here:
can you check and confirm please?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
And does this BDS sprocket adapter really solves the issue of rear sprocket freeplay shown here:
can you check and confirm please?
Yes it does fix it. new cush drive are doing their job, and there is no visible lateral play. I'm very happy with the BDS kit. The throttle response is much better as well...
Few comments to add:
  • starting in 2018, MV reverted back to the gen 1 cush drive design and called it new. This is similar design as the BDS kit, only the material is not colored.
  • price wise, BDS kit price is similar to retrofitting new parts (2018+) from MV Agusta
  • While you change the sprocket carrier, it's advisable to do rear hub maintenance and to change the top hat spacer by a reinforced one from BDS (and this specially if the sprocket carrier lateral play is important: the original material seems to be prone to get wear, and as result is it increase the lateral play

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you really sure? Have you tried just before posting? After mounting mine - I was very happy. I made 100km and when looking at new part - just touched it and tried to feel the freeplay. I was really supprised, then I felt freeplay.. It is really small, but it is there. And it should be there! Are you sure, you have it fixed for 100%? I think, that the freeplay should be there (1,2 up to 1,6 mm), but shouldn't be too big (as it used to become in some OEM ones).

totally fixed that free play
have you mounted this by yourself? Maybe your mechanic added sth extra? Absolute no freeplay can be same destructive as too much freeplay (over 2mm).

·
Administrator
20,396 Posts
It will have a little free play....It is the nature of the design and is just fine.
Both my first gen MVs have a little movement in the sprocket, but the chain keeps everything in line.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts