MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm currently considering updating the chain wheel adapter kit on my Turismo Veloce (MY2015) to replace the original one to prevent hub failure due to cush drives weakness…

BDS Bikeparts is providing a model allowing swap for the 3 cylinders and 4 cylinders bike: https://shop.bds-bikeparts.com/epages/f6a0a492-9689-4096-82a0-fc658ec7613c.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/f6a0a492-9689-4096-82a0-fc658ec7613c/Products/013MVWAKS-2

Any feedback on those?
- Is there any additional parts to be changed at the same time we change this (beside eventually the chain and sprokets)
- For those who have mounted it, how long the cush drives last compared to the MV ones old gen?

I'm considering as well the option to use the MV Agusta parts they provide on the MY2017+, however, the possibility of having them in a short leadtime is unknown, leading to eventually prefer the bds-bikepart solution…

Looking for your feedbacks

Thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Marc

That is a cool looking kit. Is the OEM cush rubber deteriorating on your Veloce?

If nothing is defective, maybe you could monitor the condition, but order the newer rubber pieces before you need them and change them out proactively when you do a chain and sprocket change or other maintenance. You shouldn't need any other parts.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marc

That is a cool looking kit. Is the OEM cush rubber deteriorating on your Veloce?

If nothing is defective, maybe you could monitor the condition, but order the newer rubber pieces before you need them and change them out proactively when you do a chain and sprocket change or other maintenance. You shouldn't need any other parts.
Well, they are not defective yet, but prone to failure. Maintenance range on TV is 15000 km, the dealer suggest to change them while changing the tires. Practically, it seems even too long for those if I refer to what I see in some forums. During the good season, i'm riding quite a lot. Last October I was closed to the bad situation : not much was missing to start attack the hub, looking at how the Sprocket wheel was moving. I did 2000 kms since then, and it starts moving again. I want something more solid…

Then you look at this video, where Brian Gillen speaks about the improvement to the cush drive system on Euro 4 version
Basically: they went back to old gen design because "this one doesn't fail"
In other words, I prefer to change preventively before the seasons: reliability matters…

·
Registered
594 Posts
This is their homepage, based in Germany:

https://shop.bds-bikeparts.com/

The owner is a MV Agusta enthusiast, rding MVs is his passion.

He owns a company that does CNC maschined parts and at the very beginning he made parts just for himself.
His parts are very popular here in Germany, never heard any complaint about it. High end quality.

Bernd's cushion drive just costs's the same as the newer OEM parts.
I will go for his cushion drive too.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm considering it for my F4 as it chews the poor quality MV cush drives. I've made my own cush rubbers from polyurethane, but I need to experiment with the hardness and wear, and that takes time.

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
?

I'm considering it for my F4 as it chews the poor quality MV cush drives. I've made my own cush rubbers from polyurethane, but I need to experiment with the hardness and wear, and that takes time.
Just put a quick change 1st Gen cush drive on it....
I'm at 38,000 mi and haven't touched it :grin2:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered mine plus a spacer sleeve for my TV last Sunday evening. It was shipped in the morning next day.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Just received the kit today.

back side:

Nice parts...
Very very nice! Show us what it looks like once mounted.

550 euro is a lot of money considering the rubbers are quite cheap (if available - factory doesn't always have stock), let us know your opinion once fitted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Would the AEM factory stuff for the F4 1000 work on the newer bikes? The price comes out to about the same as the BDS kit if ordering from Design Corse.

https://www.designcorse.com/products/mv-agusta-f4-1000-spin-quick-change-carrier-aem
https://www.designcorse.com/products/mv-agusta-rubber-cush-drive-damper-bolts
https://www.designcorse.com/products/mv-agusta-f4-1000-spin-carrier-flange-aem-factory

Unfortunately my 2017 B3 800 has the "older" one and if I'm going to spend the money to buy CNC parts, I may as well use the better version.

EDIT: Probably not going to work..was checking part numbers of the F4 and B3 and they dont match. I'll just order the BDS kit when it's time to upgrade.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just received the kit today.

back side:

Nice parts...
Got the bike back from the dealer today where the BDS sprocket carrier was mounted at the same time as a new chain kit (was missing one tool to be able to make it myself). The mount was direct replacement of the OEM sprocket carrier and top hat spacer (had one as well from BDS). No change in the stack length.

Here is the result:

While riding, I noticed it is smoother with the new chain kit and the BDS sprocket carrier (was in sport mode while usually riding in touring mode)…

Let's see what it gives on the long run, now...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Very similar if not the same exact unit on my f3 800. Not sure it made it any difference to performance or reliability, but based on your mileage your in a different category for sure.
They are pretty for sure!

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
?

Folks;
At least replace your 2nd Gen cush drive with a 1st Gen quick change style cush drive
On the right 2nd Gen axle with 1st Gen cush drive
On the left 1st Gen axle with 2nd Gen cush drive
In other words they fit:grin2:
My Brutale 910R has 38,000mi on it, original chain and sprockets
The cush drive hasn't been touched
Mitch Hub #6 has 34,000mi on it and hasn't been touched

On occasion I clean.the chain and sprockets with paint thinner and wipe the chain down with WD-40
If I feel real froggy I clean inside of the front sprocket cover>:)

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Finally got round to fitting mine this weekend, big shout out to Daniel for all his help altering the carrier to fit my aftermarket sprockets.

Will post a performance review shortly after my next track outing
Worth every penny, amazing transformation on/off throttle very smooth.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've got a BDS unit coming for the 990R. The slop in the cush is bad at 5500 miles. Yes I know I could replace the rubbers. I have the money and like the look of the BDS and the permanence of the solution. Plus looks WAAAAY better than the OEM 1st gen stuff, and if I am going to swap - I want the BLING!

·
Registered
523 Posts
that does look great ...checked the BDS website, they have lots of nice bling titanium bits too ...something to consider in future :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Holy crap, what a difference! The Gen 2 cush hub is a POS in feel in comparison to the BDS. I concur, get a Gen 1 OEM or pony up for the BDS.

OEM slop with 5500 miles on the bike: https://youtu.be/FZQESqem0fM

"Test rode" to work this morning and the result is amazing. No clunky low speed, no clunky clutch let out, no clunky uptake on partial throttle low speed turns. Solid connection feel to the rear wheel via the throttle. Worth the $$ on multiple facets.

Working with HRH Corse was easy. Hard part for me was that they take payment through wire transfer, which I guess is more common in Europe. My banks are all in PA, where I lived for 12 years before moving to CA. I finally settled on using and online transfer service, as my banks wouldn't allow online wire transfers. I used TransferWise for the payment. Shipping from BDS was FAST and I got my kit in essentially 4 business days from Germany!

Installation is easy.

As you can see I ordered the BDS "tophat" spacer as well to go with the cush drive. My OEM one was in great shape, but this one is supposed to be better stronger material.

The sprocket nuts were a bit scary, as getting to 25N-m they felt like they were getting mushy threads, but they aren't going anywhere. The 10mm nuts for the cush drive felt solid when torqued to 45 N-m per instructions.

There is ZERO slop now. It was scary how much slop there was on the OEM design after only 4000 miles.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts