MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I correct in thinking I need the 12 volt version? It's probably a stupid question but I can't afford to be wrong either.

In my defense, I haven't needed one before now cause it's never parked for more than a couple of days. It has been parked for two weeks at a time 3 times since November and is starting to crank a bit slow after sitting so long. It must be ready to go when I return from the holidays, no matter the temperature.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Am I correct in thinking I need the 12 volt version? It's probably a stupid question but I can't afford to be wrong either.

In my defense, I haven't needed one before now cause it's never parked for more than a couple of days. It has been parked for two weeks at a time 3 times since November and is starting to crank a bit slow after sitting so long. It must be ready to go when I return from the holidays, no matter the temperature.
Yep battery tender 12v version.

Please be aware continuously starting a bike with low voltage is pretty hard on the electricals (stator especially I recall). You REALLY want to keep your bike plugged into a tender at all times, so battery as max. charge, you'll also have a longer life out of the battery.
Chris

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Yes it has to be 12v output. I use the "Battery Tender" on both my MV and Duc and leave them plugged in all the time. The electronics slowly drain the batt and over a two week period of non use I've found the batt to be drained enough that it will barely turn them over.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Yes it has to be 12v output. I use the "Battery Tender" on both my MV and Duc and leave them plugged in all the time. The electronics slowly drain the batt and over a two week period of non use I've found the batt to be drained enough that it will barely turn them over.

Lee, Do you have 2 and keep them both on or alternate? I've got 1 right now, servicing now 3 bikes (FJR doesn't ever need it, knock on wood). Used to be just 2 and that was fine, but I'm leaning toward getting another one....

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Lee, Do you have 2 and keep them both on or alternate? ...
Hell Colin, you live in the most expensive city on Earth. Buy another one, for goodness sake. In the US they only cost about $30.00.....about the cost of a good beer in Tokyo, right? :stickpoke

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Hell Colin, you live in the most expensive city on Earth. Buy another one, for goodness sake. In the US they only cost about $30.00.....about the cost of a good beer in Tokyo, right? :stickpoke

dude, that optimate cost like 120 bucks! had some other random ones I couldn't read.... at least the optimate had english.

what I really want is another one of those 'plugs' for optimate where you attach to the battery and then 'attach' the optimate. for batteries that are hard to get to... F4 is a bitch. Brutale isn't hard, but would like to get one of those so I can run it to the passenger seat and not have to take the main seat off.....

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
oh, yeah, and the yen is kicking ass. So I guess the next time that survey comes around, Tokyo and Osaka will move back up....

too bad i'm sitting on more dollars than yen. :(

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have the optimate 3 for my 910R,def need one if you have an alarm,hard wire the connetion to your battery,then just have it near your frame and plug in,easy!And you can buy extras for these,like extra plugs,extentions,wall brackets, etc etc.

·
Administrator
18,847 Posts
Colin...Optimate 3 available in US for less than $60 retail. Spares are available, such as extra battery leads. I could help if you can't find in Japan. I found one web site selling for $38.24

http://www.handsontools.com/TecMate OptiMate 3 Desulfator Battery Charger_p_775-16030.html?thissku=16030&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Select&utm_content=Select&utm_campaign=broi&site=google_base

I could help if you can't find a deal in Japan....of course , there would be the voltage converter thing required.

·
Registered
89 Posts
2-Bank Battery Tender

Collin,

The link below is for a 2-bank Battery Tender. I use one of these (U.S. Spec) for the two motorcycles I keep in Atlanta. I picked up a new one on eBay for about $50 USD.

http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=57&osCsid=91a817edcb4c3cb89090ff212d37add7

Specs:

2-Bank International Charger - Japan $119.95

The 2 Bank International Battery Tender Charging Station! Operates Anywhere in the World!

The 2 Bank Battery Tender Charging Station is two encased 1.25 amp battery chargers designed to fully charge a battery and maintain it at proper storage voltage without the damaging effects caused by trickle chargers. This charger will operate anywhere in the world!

2 independent charging stations.
12 volts @ 1.25 amps per station.
Extremely lightweight! Less than 3 lbs!
Operates anywhere in the world! 100-240 VAC 50/60 Hz.
25 ft leads available (NOT INCLUDED).
Microprocessor controlled constant current charging!
Reverse Polarity Protected.
Spark Proof.
Perfect for all AGM (absorbed glass mat), sealed maintenance free and flooded batteries
Complies with US and international safety standards (UL/CE).
2 year warranty!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Lee, Do you have 2 and keep them both on or alternate? I've got 1 right now, servicing now 3 bikes (FJR doesn't ever need it, knock on wood). Used to be just 2 and that was fine, but I'm leaning toward getting another one....
Battery tender also makes a 4 bank unit so you can plug in four bikes to one outlet

http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=19&osCsid=e8bfec0daf61ec732e2bc83304190635

This is on my wish list for when I get the streetfighter next year

Chris

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Thanks guys..... voltage I usually don't worry about, 120/100, close enough for most things. But the 50Hz is less good where i live (not all japan is 50 hz.... kinda bizarre). Most DC chargers these days are 100-240 volts (which they charge extra for by looking at the international models....)

I'll have a look at a couple stores sometime and see what it looks like, if it is stupidly expensive, i may give you guys a shout. :)

cheers....
-colin

·
Registered
271 Posts
what ever brand of charger you end up with make sure it is the "float type " charger.

trickle chargers continually pump in power ( low amps ) and will eventually cook a battery if left on long enough.

A " float type " charger is still a trickle charger but will monitor the battery condition and only cut in or out as the demands on the battery dictate to the charger.
the battery is always maintained in peak condition.

A far safer alternative.

I would expect most users are aware of this now days but heres some use less info anyway !

·
Registered
51 Posts
This one is appropriate given MV's new ownership:
http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=54
Don't know if still available as I saw them on clearance at Cycle Gear for next to nothing a couple of months ago.

On a more serious note, I have a variety of models and brands and all work fine. Have the permanent leads on all my vehicles (both two and four wheel plus a jet ski). They are great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts