MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've notice recently that my 2006
F41000R is difficult to start if l stop it at traffic lights then try to restart.
Almost like a partial seize.
But when its cold no issues at all it a bit concerning
any thoughts?
I'm waiting for someone to say don't
Stop it at the lights then!
Katy
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
847 Posts
MV's very prone to this, well these era ones anyway. Replaced all battery leads on mine both positive and negative with heavier duty wire. Not perfect but much better. I believe there are kits available, do a search.

Cheers

Deano

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
--the point is the benefit of less degradation of high copper leads over time while allowing for more flow of current at low voltages. Shorai, AntiGravity, and others... there are many lithium-Iron and Lithium-Ion battery experiences and traditional ones as well. Search is your friend. It's not just about which quality battery but the total package, the 'daily care' that helps maintain proper electric health. Solid grounding is vital.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Leads installed on my 08 B4:

Still running my first Shorai battery and specific maintainer from long long ago.
I second the recommendation for this upgrade. It was a huge improvement on my 2004 Aprilia RSV1000R. I have been running these cables for well over a decade I believe. I've ordered a set for my gen1 F4 as well.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Shorai is nothing special, just good old American marketing. Do a lead upgrade. if you are sure that is the source of your problem

If you feel like it, install a decent lithium battery with appropriate charger.

How long has it been since you checked valve clearances?

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
@Glenno no one is promoting shorai over another. Marketing is international by nearly every company out there. The world is small.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have had 2 good old fashioned Yuasa Batt's over the last 11yrs, keep 'em on a good trickle charger when sitting, never had a prob starting, hot or cold and that includes always running with lights on and often using manual fan switch. Does the 1000R have a significantly higher compression and hence need much more juice than the older 750?

Wouldn't a cold start normally be more difficult if it was a Batt issue?

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
Multimeter testing needed. After initial start the battery may be strung out and not maintaining enough juice to keep running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@Glenno no one is promoting shorai over another. Marketing is international by nearly every company out there. The world is small.
Actually, I am advocating against Shorai. I have had several warranty issues with Shorai both personally and with others I work with.

I heartily recommend AntiGravity as I have about 9 of them in service on my bikes, both on and off road, and have had absolutely no problems with any of them over a period of about 5 years.

I don't sell them and don't benefit in any way from this recommendation. I think a forum like this should be used to share subjective opinions and experiences. We should be honest.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Multimeter testing needed. After initial start the battery may be strung out and not maintaining enough juice to keep running.
So if you don't have a multimeter would allowing the bike to fully cool down without any additional Batt charging tell you the same thing?
Also could it be the bikes charging system it's self that is failing to deliver?

·
Registered
13 Posts
So if you don't have a multimeter would allowing the bike to fully cool down without any additional Batt charging tell you the same thing?
Also could it be the bikes charging system it's self that is failing to deliver?
You can get a multimeter from Amazon for $10. I heartily recommend you invest in some equipment for your very expensive MV Agusta motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
Meaning, it’s the last leg of the battery. Most likely your charging system is fine. Keep in mind running the bike on the road for at least 30 minutes ads to the charge. Consecutive short runs without daily maintenance can kill a battery prematurely. —Own a bike, own a multimeter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Meaning, it’s the last leg of the battery. Most likely your charging system is fine. Keep in mind running the bike on the road for at least 30 minutes ads to the charge. Consecutive short runs without daily maintenance can kill a battery prematurely. —Own a bike, own a multimeter.
And a battery maintainer (I know, I know 'Get out there and ride' they say.) But its hotter than hookers hoohaa during fleet week down here. Early morning ride is ok....after 8am forget about it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've notice recently that my 2006
F41000R is difficult to start if l stop it at traffic lights then try to restart.
Almost like a partial seize.
But when its cold no issues at all it a bit concerning
any thoughts?
I'm waiting for someone to say don't
Stop it at the lights then!
Katy View attachment 495426
Have you checked the valve clearances? Poor hot starting can be a symptom of valve clearances that have "closed up" thus not allowing full compression. Could be battery I guess but that seems unlikely if it is starting well when it is cold when there is more strain on the battery due to the slightly higher starting current.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts