MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The F3 I borrowed has a Ballistic Lithium Ion battery. Owner of the bike can't find the charger. Ideally, I'd like to borrow an applicable charger for a few days (until this Sunday). I have a track day coming up on Saturday, need to get it sorted by Friday night. If anyone can help please text me at 818 822 8625 and I'll come out to pick it up.

Option 2: I do have a Shorai charger hooked up to an F4 but the plug in is different. Could I transfer the charger leads from a Shorai battery to a Ballistic battery and use the Shorai charger without causing damage to Ballistic?I am not a fan of the LI-ion batteries and hence don't know all the specifics.

Option 3: move the Shorai Li-ion battery from the F4 into the F3 but how compatible are the batteries for these models

Option 4: get an AGM battery for the F3 - what is the correct model?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
The batteries are compatible and of the same configuration.

The AGM battery you would want is the YUASA YTZ10S.

BE MINDFUL OF POLARITY!!!!!! Take a picture of your installation BEFORE taking the battery out.

The battery lives under the fuel tank....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Both the Ballistic and Shorai look like their cell balance is done via the charger and not via an internal BMS. FYI Ballistic went broke last year.

The likelihood of the Ballistic and the Shorai chargers having the same plug pinout and type is remote so it looks like you can't charge the Ballistic with the Shorai charger.

I don't know what the std battery is on your F4 but if it can be replaced with a YUASA YTZ10S then it might be possible to move the Shorai battery between bikes with the caution of absolutely making sure the leads line up with the correct polarity on the battery

Your other option is to get a LiFePo charger that just connects to the main +ve and -ve of the Ballistic like a CTEK Lithium XS and connect some tails to main terminals of the battery
OR
just get a conventional AGM or gel battery that can be charged with a normal lead-acid MC charger like the Yuasa Silentservice recommended

·
Registered
502 Posts
Do you have the charger that came with the bike?
If not you can just get a battery tender and run if from the terminals to a convenient place to the side of the bike. See attached.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts