MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on agm or lithium batteries?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I’m a Shorai guy through and through. Running an LFX19A4-BS12 in my 1078RR along with the BSM-01 tender. On my second because you can’t let them freeze (oops!), but that’s what the tender is for going forward 🙂

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I'm satisfied with my Yuaza YTZ10S AGM maintenance free battery.
2,5 years/3500km old. Always put on battery tender after a ride and gives quick solid starts ups. Even when hot (which I heard some have problems with)

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
8+ years on Yuasa AGM batteries .... they live on the tender (smart chargers...NOCO and Optimate) when I'm not riding... on a lot of bikes over the years.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have had the Shido (i think) MV branded lithium, dealer fitted FOC from new 4 yrs ago as the battery in the bike was faulty when they checked it.

Also have Shorai in my other bike for the last 5 years, just works great, so light compared to the original, has to be the easiest way to drop a few Kg off if you have a big battery

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Shorai, a dedicated charger, installed in 2009.
Just found a couple of broken lead wire coming from the charger (the weak point in design). The cable is replaceable for about 11 bucks. I recommend getting an extra 12v cable if you go this route.

Also installed High Capacity Oxygen-Free Copper DC Distribution Circuit. Moto always starts immediately.
https://motolectric.com/makes/mv_agusta.html

·
Registered
405 Posts
Shorai, a dedicated charger, installed in 2009.
Just found a couple of broken lead wire coming from the charger (the weak point in design). The cable is replaceable for about 11 bucks. I recommend getting an extra 12v cable if you go this route.

Also installed High Capacity Oxygen-Free Copper DC Distribution Circuit. Moto always starts immediately.
https://motolectric.com/makes/mv_agusta.html
using a JMT LITHIUM 2 YEARS NEVER CHARGED IT and theas battery leads https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ES-27-MV-Agusta-Brutale-910-1078-Premium-Hi-Cap-Starter-Circuit-Upgrade-Cables/112500719842?hash=item1a3190c0e2:g:v~sAAOSwq9lZfLaO the picturs you get for intalation are of my bike it was the prototype mock up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Going with one of these. It matches the same specs as my BS battery. A bit on the heavy side but for $38 shipped to my door. You cant really beat that. Plus 230cca and 11.2ah. Not too bad. Best bang for the buck for someone that does not have a race bike or cares about wieght. (I ride with my panniers full of stuff anyway)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
I inquired about a new Yuasa price for mine at the local battery world here. Got talking to the bloke about li ion batteries. Said he wasn't a fan of them in bikes. Something to do with the charging systems, ecu etc. not being suitable. ????

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
158 Posts
Something to do with the charging systems, ecu etc. not being suitable. ????

Deano

As far as the bike is concerned you will only run into a problem if the battery you are buying is not able to put out the same power as what your bike needs. Ie: amp hour and CCA.

The charging is also different most battery tenders that I've come across are for lead acid only and lithium ion only. Some high end chargers have the ability to switch between the two and charge both. But you have to be sure your battery charger is made for the kind of battery your charging.

·
Registered
820 Posts
As far as the bike is concerned you will only run into a problem if the battery you are buying is not able to put out the same power as what your bike needs. Ie: amp hour and CCA.

The charging is also different most battery tenders that I've come across are for lead acid only and lithium ion only. Some high end chargers have the ability to switch between the two and charge both. But you have to be sure your battery charger is made for the kind of battery your charging.

That being my question. If the tenders/chargers are different what about the bikes charging system? This is the point he battery bloke was getting at. My battery spends little time on a charger, relying on the charge it gets when ridden.

Cheers

Deano

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
That being my question. If the tenders/chargers are different what about the bikes charging system? This is the point he battery bloke was getting at. My battery spends little time on a charger, relying on the charge it gets when ridden.
I do know that several Japanese brands make different levels of their performance sport bikes with the top level coming equipped with a LiOn battery. The charging systems are identical.

Example is the current Suzuki GSX-R1000. The base models have a YTZ10...just like an MV.... The GSX-R1000R (the top of the line with upgraded suspension and quick shifter etc) comes with a lithium battery...... the charging systems (alternator and regulator/rectifier) are the same.

Pretty sure conservative Suzuki wouldn't do that if there was any chance of incompatibility.

·
Super Moderator
21,467 Posts
The issue with LiPo is when a charger has a desulfating function. That function can damage the LiPo battery.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I inquired about a new Yuasa price for mine at the local battery world here. Got talking to the bloke about li ion batteries. Said he wasn't a fan of them in bikes. Something to do with the charging systems, ecu etc. not being suitable. ????

Cheers

Deano
I just bought the Yuasa YTZ14S to get rid of the BS in the bike and I find its a lot better already on start up, it has a 230CCA also.I could have bought a cheaper battery but I've used Yuasa before and find them very good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Bikemaster Li was best I found for the MV. The polarity is correct and strong cranking. Slightly heavier than Shorai. No problems after ~2 years now.

I had great results with Shorai in my Duc 748. But, I couldn't find the right one for the Brute when I was looking.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Antigravity in all my bikes. Weights about a pound and never need to have it on a tender. I've never had issues starting a bike even if it's been sitting in my garage for 6 months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My buddy just put a motobatt battery in his brutale, and Ive used them before too. Seemed good quality and all, and not too pricey...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts