MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just asking from other peoples experience, but my bike has just had the starter clutch repaired under warranty, but now the battery has died, left me stranded 20klms from home last night.

My question is, can I get the battery replaced under warranty, or am I wasting my time, and should I just go and buy a new one?

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you force the issue with your dealer, I am sure you could get it replaced under warranty as some others here have, but the replacement is most likely going to be the same quality as the original.:eek:nthecan:

I would recommend spending the money to get something more reliable.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was thinking that, bike has only done 4000klms total, was riding it, stopped for 5 mins and then it wouldn't start, that's second time it's happened

·
Registered
307 Posts
Was thinking that, bike has only done 4000klms total, was riding it, stopped for 5 mins and then it wouldn't start, that's second time it's happened
How do you know it's the battery and not alternator ? Perhaps the battery is ok but it's not being recharged while you drive.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hmmm, maybe he is guessing that way because there has been 400 documented battery failures and zero documented alternator failures with F3/B3 platform.:stickpoke

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just looking at the evidence, and yep, seems that the battery is crap, will replace it with a yuasa, it's bit bit shit that after purchasing a new bike and returning it to deler to get starter clutch fixed, I still have to fork out another $250 for a decent battery, have to admit my mv experience is not too great so far. Never had this problem with any honda I have owned.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I went with a Motobatt lithium for mine, very light and zero starting problems since installation. My original battery was ok most of the time as long as I kept it on the tender, but what was starting to happen more and more often was - turn the key , it would crank 3 or 4 times then pause and lose my clock/odo settings then crank some more and start - very annoying. Hope you have the same trouble free riding once you ditch that battery.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
5 month old Rivale. Battery made by 'BS Batteries'. Worked perfectly until last weekend when it failed to start after a fuel stop. Jumped it off and then the alternator charged it up after a longer ride segment. Ordered a Shorai to replace it. Even if the dealer replaced it under warranty, I'm not putting another 'BS Battery' in it.

·
Super Moderator
22,108 Posts
So, Kevin, you admit that your Rivale was full of BS at the Bub.......:stickpoke:wave:

·
Registered
5,045 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
FYI, I'm told you can bump-start the bike if you have a dead battery or broken sprag clutch. With the sensitive throttle I imagine it's probably not real easy to do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
FYI, I'm told you can bump-start the bike if you have a dead battery or broken sprag clutch. With the sensitive throttle I imagine it's probably not real easy to do.
I think it depends on how dead the batt, if its too low, i forget the exact voltage 10.5 vdc but dont quote me, it will not bump start. ECM will code like the matrix. I have seen catastrophic problems caused by a low battery voltage, were whole control modules had to be replaced. These new digital bikes are so sensitive to voltage its insane, if you have the throttle open when you key on, your TPS can get confused like most of us want to do when bump starting.

I think the bad batteries are caused by improper initial battery prep, where the techs rush the PDI process, especially at a flat rate shop.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I've got the MV lithium battery. Its great so far, no complaints. Starts quick, charges quick and is less than half the weight of the stock battery.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Had all my Yuasa lead acid batteries last 5-7 years, and replaced them with Shorai lithium batteries, the oldest of which is in its fourth year.

So, I endorse Yuasa and Shorai due to personal experience.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've got the MV lithium battery. Its great so far, no complaints. Starts quick, charges quick and is less than half the weight of the stock battery.

PTsalas (or anyone) could you let me know, if possible, what the MV lithium battery is like on very cold mornings, or you lucky enough to be somewhere the sun shines, having a few problems with mine here in the UK, she really doesn't sound healthy on the cold mornings/evenings (like the battery is flat) and I don't want to be stuck at work for 1second longer than I have to be. I keep her on the charger when in the garage but even with that it can still struggle.
I have read that they might need warmed up with turning the ignition on for 30 or so to "wake" the battery up.
Appreciate any help.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 29 Posts