MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after bike being parked up for nearly two weeks, I could not start it. Battery simply did not had charge to tick it over. Dash went out and on again with all trips resetting.
Weirdest thing is that bike was on trickle charge all that time. Checked charger light and it was steadily blinking before my attempt to start bike….
So is it [email protected] battery or something else? I have no alarms or other things wired in except Scottoiler. Could it be reason?🤔 or any other fault as I cannot believe it can drain battery with charger on

·
Registered
F4 312r
258 Posts
I had batteries die on me while being on trickle charge. If you can load test the battery you know for sure but it sounds like a dead one.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Is it the original battery? If so it is 5 years old so on borrowed time. What brand is it? Load testing it is a good place to start. Also worth checking that the charger is actually working, I had one die on me once, the light was on but no one home.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I can find in service manual, this is way too small battery.
will go to shop now and see if they can load test it for me

·
Registered
F4 312r
258 Posts
I use a cheap 8.6 Ah battery on my F4. Unusually get a couple of years out of them, sometimes more. I can't quite remember but the CCA on the current one was only down by 10 or so over the Yuasa. Touch wood, so far I never had a issue, cranks over very well.y bike does start incredibly well though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weird thing - bike started this afternoon, so went to check battery. Shop said it’s in fine condition.

·
Super Moderator
23,940 Posts
The battery in your bike is undersized for what the battery should be. That means that under load conditions it will not last as long.

Note that the stock battery is 11 Ah...niot 8.5.

Reactions: Boriss

·
Old Wing Nut
21,954 Posts
It's a LUCAS battery .... Lucas, Prince of Darkness. Infamous for failing British electrical devices for many many decades.

That is supposed to be their replacement for the YTZ10S standard Yuasa brand....but it's not quite up to it.
Notice that lots of others sell replacements for the higher quality Yuasa with a change of the "Y" to some other letter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for confirming my suspicions!
Ordered original BTZ12S battery. Let’s see if that will solve my other electric issues too

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have YTZ12S and after 3 years it’s becoming a problem to start a bike. I keep it on the charger regulary. Is this normal for Yuasa to die so soon with normal use? I only charge my phone on my rides…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,940 Posts
That would depend on how your battery was initialized before installation. Many dealers/people do not properly place a brand new battery onto a 24 hour trickle charge prior to installation in a machine. Furthermore, batteries in the shelf that have been allowed to discharge, though new, will have a shortened lifespan.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Silentservice, so you say I should plug my trickle charger when replacing battery and leave it for 24h before firing bike up?

·
Super Moderator
23,940 Posts
@Boriss...before you even put the battery in the bike you should trickle charge the new battery for 24 hours.

Reactions: esq'z me and Boriss

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@silentservice703 damn…will have to figure out where to get a trickle charger then 🤔

·
Super Moderator
23,940 Posts
If all you have is the factory charger, then go ahead and put the battery in the bike and charge it for 24 hours before starting the bike.
It is suboptimal, but it will be ok.
You just really don't want to drop in a battery and fire the bike up and go for a ride.
Well, to be fair, you probably want to...but resist the urge.
My Batteries last more than 8 years because I treat them well.

Reactions: esq'z me and Boriss

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You’re right about temptation, but I have plenty of things lined up this weekend, so will be giving bike a miss anyway
Thanks again for tip! 👍

Reactions: silentservice703

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Decided this morning to take bike to work. Have left since Monday without trickle charger, just to see how things develop
Managed to start without help of booster, so far so good
On way to work, already after 5min noticed check engine light coming coming up when I stopped at lights. It disappeared after I accelerated
After couple minutes both engine and abs lights started to flicker and noticed bike cut power couple times even keeping revs above 6k
When reached work I checked battery level and it was down to 8.1V
So got feeling alternator is not up to it’s job. Will have to test it over weekend, but any other suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,940 Posts
8.1 vdc is a dead battery. Not just dead, but DEAD dead.

Is that the voltage on the new battery you ordered, or on the old battery?

Check voltage across the battery terminals (or across the charging connection) while the bike is running at about 2000 rpm. That will tell the story on the alternator.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyway, as this is Italian, things are getting interesting again.😁
Took a ride at lunch time. Couldn’t start it (what a surprise), so used booster and then gave a good tug all terminals. Drove for 30mi without problem. Started up again. Only now had error - abs, switch off engine. Done that and checked voltage - 12.1… started again, and came back. TC flicked once when accelerated in 4th from 50mph and then when came off motorway power cut couple times with abs and engine lights flashing
No stalling at lights…
At least this bike keeps me on my toes 😂

1 - 20 of 26 Posts