MV Agusta Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Well, at the moment I have wired in the extension socket for the battery so I can easily plug in my Optimate battery conditioner without rummaging about with crocodile clips. So far so good. Charged to the hilt :f4:

Having read through reams of info on the net regarding batteries.....
Always make sure that any battery that you buy has new lead fitted.
A lot of manufacturers use recycled lead and charge a premium for their stuff. Please, if I am teaching you guys history, apologies, but its something I learned and wanted to share. Recycled lead does not hold charge as well as new leaded batteries.
So , my new Unibat battery [using new lead] is on test to see how long it'll last.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Ed;
the Immobilizer fitted to my '04 Aprilia RSVR is just a key recognition system with a range of just a few inches, it 'sees' up to 4 different keys

no alarm, sort of an electronic relay that allows the ignition to function when it sees the correct transponder

the digital clocks don't need much, think of watch batteries

the OEM battery on the Aprilia lasted 8 years

my Sister's Honda Element is hard on batteries...it also has a low charging voltage just like my friend Jackie's Element

when hooking it up to a charger yesterday.....the horn honked, go figure?

thats the ECU

Fragile;
my 1st gen MV charges with a real alternator and voltage regulator at over 14.7V at idle, the original Yuasa battery is 6 years old.....none of my bikes in 56 years of riding have ever seen a battery tender

:drummer:

·
Registered
661 Posts
i get ya, the knurl, those yuasa good batteries. But for the rest of us that may not have the habits as you have with your bikes, or have lesser batteries to begin with, the tenders are there to support the battery in cold storage, periods of non use, or other extreme conditions or neglect. A good quality battery lasts for years with regular use and placed in a good bike. But there are those who are hard on their batteries, Like me, I have accessories that are hard on batteries like a two way radio (yes, a two-way radio on a suberbike- you heard it!) With this sometimes I use the battery without the bike running. With a tender, it will keep the battery alive as I use the battery whenever I feel like it, in cold, in hot, short trips, messing with the dash to program it, etc.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Fragile;

just ride your bike.....and stop dicking around with electronics.....

oh, that's right you have >'09 MV with Chuck's favorite battery.....a Koyo

:jsm::jsm::jsm:

·
Registered
661 Posts
:^)

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Fragile;
do yourself a favor ditch the Koyo

find Chuck's (silentservice703) saga with the Koyo, it was the battery on a new bike the whole time

·
Registered
619 Posts
I bought a new bike in 2000 (OK not MV), the Yuasa battery lasted 9+ years.
My '07 F4 had a Interstate put in new when I bought it in 2011 (original battery was sitting most of 4 years, 68 miles!), still going strong no issues.
Yuasa and Interstate are the only standard lead acid brands I have used since 1977.

Ed :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts