MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Got the new brute last week. What fun.
And i was given the battery charger to go with the bike. Great.

So when i open the box the plug is a 2 prong plug. Aust has 3.
So has anybody got a free charger from there dealer with the same brand ( BC battery charger junior from italy).

So luckly i got a friend who can swap the plug over.
Just curious....:stickpoke

thanks
Dino
:brutale:

Registered
Pretty sure the battery tender that MV supplies with bikes is not a "smart" battery charger, and thus I would not use it. In place I would get an aftermarket battery tender with smart circuitry.

Registered
Sorry Italia, but I'm not sure what you mean by "smart" battery.
Ah. My bad. I meant 'smart battery charger', or 'smart battery tender', not 'smart battery'.

Battery tenders that are 'smart' have circuitry that monitor the battery's condition and apply different charging modes depending on that condition, and provide no charging if the battery is not in need of charging.

There are many. Ed is very pleased with his (above). Many of us use the Deltran Battery Tender Plus (not Battery Tender Jr.). http://batterytender.com/products/motorcycle/battery-tender-plus-12v-at-1-25a.html

A standard 'trickle charger' (which is what I believe MV Agusta supplies with their bikes) has minimal to zero intelligence built into the charger to prevent the battery from being abused, overcharged, or charged unnecessarily by the charger, which can burn up a battery reducing its life, or worse.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I sleep with one every night, so if you need more technical details, I'll ask the wife. :smoking:

Or you can ask Ed. He's very knowledgeable, as are others here. :)

Registered
I've checked the manual which was included with the BC Junior Battery Charger AND Maintainer.

It claims to have an 8 phase charging algorithm as shown on this photo.
Seems just as good as my Optimate:)

Attachments

Registered
Very interesting Hornet. I don't recall that piece of paper with the charger that came with my F4. But could be because mine came in '08. Thus, I may be off-base in my accusations that MV supplied chargers aren't "smart".

I'm not sure based on the terminology they use in that document whether it is comparable to an Optimate or Battery Tender Plus.

I've moved all my bikes to Shorai Lithium Iron batteries and Shorai is very specific in stating that you need to check to see if your battery maintainer has a desulfation mode that cannot be turned off, as Shorai batteries are not to be used with that type. The description in the document you show would lead me to believe that it's not a good solution for a Shorai, but may offer similar "smart" battery tending technology to some of the good aftermarket tenders when used with a lead acid battery.

I have seven Deltran Battery Tender Plus units and got 5-7 years out of each Yuasa lead acid battery using them, and am at 1.5 - 3 years with them on the Shorai.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks BrutaleHornet & italia for the info.

The charger i got is the same as BrutaleHornet.
So i guess i will change the 2 pin plugs into 3 pins and give it a go.

thanks all.

:brutale:

Registered
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

Registered
Hi James.
Thanks for the link.
Got my spaki friend to re-wire it.
If that BC Battery Controller Junior came with your MV, it's a totally different charger than they used to supply. The one that came with my F4 was this little trickle charger. Good on MV for getting rid of those crappy "dumb" chargers.

Registered
If that BC Battery Controller Junior came with your MV, it's a totally different charger than they used to supply. The one that came with my F4 was this little trickle charger. Good on MV for getting rid of those crappy "dumb" chargers.

I've used one of these trickle chargers on my old bike.
Nice if you park the bike for a week or two, but not any longer....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts