MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 2002 F4 and got it home Sunday morning. It was cold out so I ran it around a few miles and put it back in the garage until this afternoon. I needed to go get it inspected since I bought it out of state and it fired up right away in the garage. Once at the station I had to wait maybe 15 minutes and I left the ignition switch on. When I went to start it back up it would barely turn over -- dead battery. Kind of embarrassing since a few of the guys at the shop were pretty impressed with the bike and then the darn thing won't start...never happens in the garage, right? A jump got me running so now I have a couple dumb questions...

1) Is it normal to drain the battery that quick with the ignition on?
2) If no to #1 then is this a sign that I need a new battery?
3) If yes to #2 then is there a good battery besides the factory suggested models I should go for? I don't want to get gouged at the dealer if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
88 Posts
Brian,

Congratulations on your choice of bike & don't get dispondent by this, you won't be dissapointed with it!

Is your bike fitted with an alarm as despite what is said they do drain the battery?

It is probably worth investing in an Optimate charger or something similar as I have to keep topping my F4 up regulary especially if it is not used for a couple of weeks or so.

If you do need to get a new battery make sure you get the correct one as they are gell filled because it sits on it's side. Using an acid one will result in damage to the battery tray, suspension link & swinging arm.

Tony

·
Registered
822 Posts
Put the battery on charge overnight and then load test it, its the only way to know if the battery is still good.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
As already said, a battery 'tender' is the key to a healthy battery, even if you ride regularly, its worth it

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys.

Anyone know where can I buy an Optimate charger in the states? That brand\type seems to be very popular and has many kudos from MV'ers on this site. I could always order one off Ebay but I would rather just pick one up somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts