MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Acid from my first battery spilled on the swingarm.
A lot of the fluid is everywhere and it looks like it has scratched the surface slightly.

My question to you is:

does the acid affect the condition of the aluminum?
is this dangerous? Do i need to change the swingarm?

I got a new Yuasa battery and its working fine.

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I had that happen to my 2004 Brutale 750S back in 06. It looked like birdshit all over the swing arm. Had to send the bike to the importer who replaced the swing arm under warranty. I don't know if there's another fix. Apparently there was a faulty battery cradle design in the early days, which they replaced too. I've since sold the 750 and I'm now on a 910R.
Good luck...
M

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I also seem to remember they had to replace my rear shock which had copped some acid too.

·
Administrator
20,089 Posts
The acid damage can be cleaned and repaired. Surface corrosion. Wash everything with baking soda solution and then refinish. Best to disassemble so you can get to everywhere.

Exception would be drive chain. If acid got onto that I would replace it. Any acid that got between rollers will accelerate wear in that area and could cause breakage.

Question is...why did the battery leak? Was it a Yuasa or some other brand? AGM type batteries should not be able to leak if properly set-up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes... looks like a lot of birdshit..some white, some black... and some may have reached the rear shock am afraid. Not obvious that spills reached the drive chain.

I bought the bike brand new from the MV agent in the UK +1year ago.
The original battery was not a Yuasa...I dont recall the brand.
I did +/- 9000km on the bike, ignition became a problem which i assumed was because i was travelling a lot and sometimes not using the bike for several weeks in a row. I had to spark it using another battery and i beleive this is what may have caused the damage....

esq'z me.... if i clean with baking soda, what paint do i use to refurbish? i would really like to get rid of the stains...and hope they cause no risk for the swingarm to crack.

Thanks for the input.

Michael

·
Administrator
20,089 Posts
I don't think you need worry about the swing arm breaking...what ever color match paint you find. Maybe take the parts to a good auto body and paint shop?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts