MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, sorry if an answer to this already exists. Did a quick search and couldn't find anything. I'm new to MV Agusta. Just bought my first F4 -- will pick up this week. I've always done my own basic services on my bikes and would like to do the same for the F4. What are the basic tools I would need to do this (oil changes, oil filter change, removal of wheels to get new tires, coolant changes, brake pad renewal, chain lubrication/adjustment etc)? Of course, I have torque wrenches and other basic tools, but I am asking here about MV specific tools. Here is a provisional list I have made. Please feel free to correct, add or remove:

1. Rear stand 42.5mm pin for MV
2. Front stand (I have a standard front stand, but it seems I need a specific one for MV?) I saw a youtube video of a guy raising an MV Agusta F4 I think with a standard front stand, but it didn't look very safe.
3. Real wheel nut tool
4. Chain adjustment tool (should come with bike - demo model?)

Do I need an oil filter tool spanner specific to MV Agusta? I don't even know what the filter looks like, I'm such a noob.

By the way, you may like this story. A fellow motorcyclist said to me when he learned I had bought an F4, :"You're going to be the coolest guy at work with that bike" I said, "No, I'm going to be the guy at work with the coolest bike, which is a different thing. And in fact, that's no feat at all as no one else rides a motorcycle to work. Therefore, I could turn up to work on a postman's Honda 110 and still be the guy with the coolest bike."

Any handy tips or advice for a noob starting up would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Alexander

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome!
If your rear wheel nut is torqued anything like mine was, you'll need a really good quality socket AND long bar/torque wrench. :)

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
Tools?

Alexander;
It would help if we knew the year and model......oil filters are different as are
front axle nuts

At the top of this Section I have a sticky with a complete list (1st Gen)

MV specific tools;
55mm tapered socket with the 1/2" all the way through (eBay)
C spanner for adjusting the chain (same as Ducati)
Clic-R pliers (eBay)
Oil filter wrench to fit a Purolator PL 14612 (1st Gen)

:wink2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd like to know what everyone has as well. Just a general list of "specialty" tools for the average dude... right now I'm looking to remove my front and rear wheels but can't seem to find an exact answer as to if the rear nut is 55mm or 56 and what the front axle nut is either... Do I need a big allen and socket or just socket?

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
?????wtf

I'd like to know what everyone has as well. Just a general list of "specialty" tools for the average dude... right now I'm looking to remove my front and rear wheels but can't seem to find an exact answer as to if the rear nut is 55mm or 56 and what the front axle nut is either... Do I need a big allen and socket or just socket?
Try looking at my post #6 on this thread>:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try looking at my post #6 on this thread>:)
Sorry forgot to say that I've got a Dragster... I'm really trying to figure out exactly what tool I need to remove and install the wheels... The tool in the link states that it'll work with a 2014 Dragster yet it says it's 56mm. I'd assume this tool should work on the front and rear nuts but I haven't had anyone who can confirm... I've even called motowheels but they didn't have a good answer.

As for the OP... He's got an F4 and I'm not sure if we have the same size tool requirements.

https://motowheels.com/i-23900627-oberon-mv-agusta-wheel-nut-socket.html

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
???????wtf

Sorry forgot to say that I've got a Dragster... I'm really trying to figure out exactly what tool I need to remove and install the wheels... The tool in the link states that it'll work with a 2014 Dragster yet it says it's 56mm. I'd assume this tool should work on the front and rear nuts but I haven't had anyone who can confirm... I've even called motowheels but they didn't have a good answer.
HAWAIICALIVEGAS;

MotoWheels is full of shit.....and they are getting a call tomorrow >:)>:)>:)
I always use an air wrench to remove the 55mm nuts WITH AN ALUMINUM SOCKET, I torque them with a steel socket

ALL MVs EVEN YOUR FAGSTER, use 55mm tapered nuts, so you need a tapered 55mm socket

If you looked in my sticky at the top of THIS Section you'd know this
You'd also know why the Oberon socket is not what you want ......you need a socket with the 1/2" drive all
The way through so you can torque the wheel nut from the left side with a 10" extension, because SnapOn
torque wrenches are 50% more accurate going clockwise (as are most torque wrenches)

Try using Search

·
Registered
14 Posts
HAWAIICALIVEGAS;

MotoWheels is full of shit.....and they are getting a call tomorrow >:)>:)>:)
I always use an air wrench to remove the 55mm nuts WITH AN ALUMINUM SOCKET, I torque them with a steel socket

ALL MVs EVEN YOUR FAGSTER, use 55mm tapered nuts, so you need a tapered 55mm socket

If you looked in my sticky at the top of THIS Section you'd know this
You'd also know why the Oberon socket is not what you want ......you need a socket with the 1/2" drive all
The way through so you can torque the wheel nut from the left side with a 10" extension, because SnapOn
torque wrenches are 50% more accurate going clockwise (as are most torque wrenches)

Try using Search

I see the sticky now... First, what is a tapered nut? Why does it require a special socket? I've seen 55mm sockets for a Ducati and it says it won't work because it isn't tapered... All of the sockets I've seen so far all look the same as far as the 12pt part is concerned... Why do you remove with aluminum and install with a steel socket? Let me know what MotoWheels say! :nerd2:

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
?

I see the sticky now... First, what is a tapered nut? Why does it require a special socket? I've seen 55mm sockets for a Ducati and it says it won't work because it isn't tapered... All of the sockets I've seen so far all look the same as far as the 12pt part is concerned... Why do you remove with aluminum and install with a steel socket? Let me know what MotoWheels say! :nerd2:
Dude, go figure out what a tapered nut means......you can't use a standard straight socket on it, because it the socket will
screw it up
If you think your bike has different wheel and sprocket nuts, look the part numbers up in the manuals Donsy has provided
for all to use

I use an aluminum socket on and air wrench to remove the wheel and sprocket nuts, because it won't mar the aluminum
nut......it takes 1 1/2 to 2 seconds to remove either of the tapered nuts with an air wrench

I don't give a flying fuck what MotoWheels has to say, they need to change 56mm to 55mm tapered

MV owners at work

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts