MV Agusta Forum banner

Bad weather riding

3K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  reptile 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Now that Summer has passed I was wondering what people generally thought about riding their precious MV's in the rain and winter. I don't want to wreck my bike but at the same time I don't want it to gather dust either. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
James

#2 ·
Wet weather riding is not for me James. I don't mind the getting wet bit if I'm already out. But I wouldn't intentionally ride a bike in the rain these days.

It's a safety issue for me. The road is already a zoo and throwing water on it increases the risk too much imo.

Riding on a cold winter day....I'm all for that. (mild winter here!)

#4 ·
Riding in the Rain or in the winter isn't as much of a problem. The attached Photo's were made in February. Well I do not start in the Rain, but You can get in a shower or the roads are wet. So the Bike will be messy but hey, You can give it a good wash and Lubrication / Protection and it will be fine. I came on Tours in the Rain and drove my F4 for almost 10 hours in the Rain. So get out on it when ever You have the urge, just switch the Brain on and give it good wash thereafter.

Attachments

#5 ·
jamesclarke said:
Hi guys,

Now that Summer has passed I was wondering what people generally thought about riding their precious MV's in the rain and winter. I don't want to wreck my bike but at the same time I don't want it to gather dust either. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
James

I'm fortunate enough to live in a part of the world where in general rain is not a problem. When I lived in the UK though I regularly rode in the rain as if you don't ride in the rain over there you don't ride!! :penguin: :freezing: The last bike that I had in the UK was a Ducati 996 and I rode it in winter with no real problems other than having to clean it after every ride! :banghead:

Here in the south of france I don't ride much in the rain if I can help it. If it looks like it may rain I don't go out and if I get caught in the rain I go home. :banghead: :conveyer:

#6 ·
haupti said:
Riding in the Rain or in the winter isn't as much of a problem. The attached Photo's were made in February. Well I do not start in the Rain, but You can get in a shower or the roads are wet. So the Bike will be messy but hey, You can give it a good wash and Lubrication / Protection and it will be fine. I came on Tours in the Rain and drove my F4 for almost 10 hours in the Rain. So get out on it when ever You have the urge, just switch the Brain on and give it good wash thereafter.
Man that looks cold :jsm: :freezing:

#7 ·
In terms of winter riding and the bike getting wet/dirty, I couldn't care less. In terms of dealing with the F4s rather twitchy low down throttle response combined with wet and greasy UK roads, I'd rather not thanks.

Although I've ridden sports bikes through the winter in previous years it's been through nessecatity rather than actually wanting to and given the choice now I'd rather not. Although some sports bikes do a fairly decent job in the winter months, the F4s rather stiff suspension and less than smooth low down throttle response would have it ranking fairly high in, if not the top of, my list of worst bikes for winter.

#8 ·
F41NXS said:
had enough of winter riding when younger, rain, snow, leaves, mud on roads and biting cold winds

I just dont see the fun in it now, maybe a little older and wiser

anyway this is where the MV goes in winter
I like that, a room with a view for the baby. Nice very nice. I could only imagine what the guest rooms must look like. :laughing:

#9 ·
My remedy for rain is first, not to intentionally set out in the rain. Second, if it looks like rain I take the Ducati ST3s with ABS. Still lots of fun and much safer if I get caught in the rain...which in Oregon we get more than our share. The SPR is not a rain bike. It is all about risk and reward. My bet is that a wet road increases risk by 3 fold on a bike.

#14 ·
I commute year-round on an Aprilia Pegaso or Triumph Daytona. I think the key to wet weather riding is taking it easy and being smooth. I don't think the MV lends itself to either of these concepts. I had to take mine to be serviced in appalling rain once, and it was not a pleasant ride, especially on bumpy and muddy UK country lanes!

#15 ·
Well I figure, if I can clean it back from this to as it was when I bought it, which, granted takes a bit of time and tlc, then its worth it. I can't wait till the Spring to ride my beaut again!!

Tont

Attachments

#16 ·
Rain riding is lots of fun.....with the right gear and tires. Since getting new Pirelli Corsa tires, I dont ride in the rain anymore. Didnt realize it would be such a difference from my old tires. I miss it, it also limits the usefulness of my bike. I will take wet and cold riding into stronger consideration when it's time for new tires.

#17 ·
Here is how I picked up my MV this from the dealer:

On May 26 this year I returned from a business trip in Japan and went directly by Taxi to the dealer around 40 miles from Heathrow airport. It is necessary to mention that whilst I was away for 1 week and even before the weather in UK in May was very nice.

On my return there were black clouds hanging in the sky, but no rain in sight as of yet. Upon my arrival at the dealer it started dripping a bit. When I finally left and reached the M25 Motorway it was pissing down with rain.

Since I came from a business trip I only had a Textile waterproof jacket, normal jeans and light shoes. The waterproof jacket worked well but......
The zippers didn't and so my mobile phone was swimming in 1/4 liter of rain water in my pocket. Needless to say it didn't work any longer :-(. I was completely soaked and couldn't clean the bike for another 3 days since it constantly rained.

Then finally when I had the chance and all was clean i swore to myself that I will never ever again ride in the rain unless being surprised by it.

On a seperate note it is interesting to observe that since i bought the MV the weather in the UK has been really shitty and not many great days this summer for a nice ride plus 2 canceled track days due to rain. Maybe someone tries to send me a sign?

#19 ·
Rain is one thing, cold weather is another. I've ridden plenty in sub freezing weather. I have heated gloves, jacket liner, and boot footbeds. A toasty ride in cold weather is refreshing. We get lots of wierd looks from folks in cars because they can't believe we're out riding. One does have to be careful because the roads are cold and tires don't ever get very warm but so long as there is no ice the grip is satisfactory on all but race tires.

#20 ·
SR71 said:
Rain is one thing, cold weather is another. I've ridden plenty in sub freezing weather. I have heated gloves, jacket liner, and boot footbeds. A toasty ride in cold weather is refreshing. We get lots of wierd looks from folks in cars because they can't believe we're out riding. One does have to be careful because the roads are cold and tires don't ever get very warm but so long as there is no ice the grip is satisfactory on all but race tires.
Riding in the cold is the pits, I remember one time in particular riding on boxing day in the UK (London) the sun was shining so I decided to meet my bro in law for a ride I was soooo cold I couldn't feel my fingers after just a few miles and salt and shhht was flying off his rear tyre and hitting my screen and visor.

I've just been out for a ride now on my new supercorsa's kneedown in the turns and the temperature in the 80's. I don't ever want to live in a cold climate again!! :freezing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.