MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the local dealer here to see how much I could lower my new Mv when I get it. The Guy there told me that the F4 can only be lowered by 1/2 inch!!!! Is he wrong? I hope so because I'm way too short!!! Anybody know how much it can be lowered?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
NOMOEVO said:
I just got back from the local dealer here to see how much I could lower my new Mv when I get it. The Guy there told me that the F4 can only be lowered by 1/2 inch!!!! Is he wrong? I hope so because I'm way too short!!! Anybody know how much it can be lowered?
that's probably about right. the adjuster is not designed to lower the bike for more suitable riding positions. it's only meant for small changes in ride height as a tunning option, say when fitting different tire diameters.

and the seat cannot be lower by carving out foam. there isn't any foam (ok, there's a little, but it's like a sheet of paper)

the F4 is a tall bike. and the rear subframe has wide frame spars, which kind of splay your legs apart making the reach to the ground even more difficult. of course, with your feet up the wide seat is pretty comfy.

alex

03 r6
05 f4

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
altoon said:
that's probably about right. the adjuster is not designed to lower the bike for more suitable riding positions. it's only meant for small changes in ride height as a tunning option, say when fitting different tire diameters.

and the seat cannot be lower by carving out foam. there isn't any foam (ok, there's a little, but it's like a sheet of paper)

the F4 is a tall bike. and the rear subframe has wide frame spars, which kind of splay your legs apart making the reach to the ground even more difficult. of course, with your feet up the wide seat is pretty comfy.

alex

03 r6
05 f4
Thats not good news.... :mad: anymore,,,,,better,,,news?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
altoon said:
umm, the bike handles best when your feet are up?

sorry. poor attempt at humor.
alex
Thats ok, I just have a hard time trying to put the stand down. I might...(sniffle) have to buy...a.....duc. I'm going to go shoot myself in the head now... anyone can help? not shooting me but lowering it...or the kickstand?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
just ride in high heels..that'll give ya another 4 or so inches....people will be staring at the bike and not even notice the heels :flickoff:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matty said:
just ride in high heels..that'll give ya another 4 or so inches....people will be staring at the bike and not even notice the heels :flickoff:
The heels!!! ya prick ya!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: thats too funny!

·
Registered
126 Posts
FYI: My 999's seat height (from the factory) is roughly at 30.5". From what I gathered up in my MV research the MV's is rightaround 31". If you can adjust the MV down half an inch, it'll be right in line with where the 999's & 748's and so are at. I guess the good news for the Duc's is that you can adjust the suspension up or down more than half an in. I think my 999 can actually go either way + or - 1.5". Just something to consider....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DucatiGuy said:
FYI: My 999's seat height (from the factory) is roughly at 30.5". From what I gathered up in my MV research the MV's is rightaround 31". If you can adjust the MV down half an inch, it'll be right in line with where the 999's & 748's and so are at. I guess the good news for the Duc's is that you can adjust the suspension up or down more than half an in. I think my 999 can actually go either way + or - 1.5". Just something to consider....
Considering.... I just have my heart set on the MV. I did look at a new 749....very nice!

·
Registered
203 Posts
NOMOEVO said:
Just about almost 5'6" prob more like 5'5" :bawling:
Trust me, you should be okay. I am 5'-7" on a good day and I have no problems with the F4. I had the same concerns as you do when I was to get my bike, but I did not have any problems. The only thing that gets a bit tricky is backing up while seated. If the road surface is not smooth or leveled, I just get off and I pull-back up standing on one side with my hands on the handle bar.
Wait till you ride it, you'll think you are 6'-3'' and king of the world! :guitarist

·
Registered
593 Posts
Im 6ft and thought that my F4-1000 was too tall, i had to use my tippie toes (funny name) to stand it up. Was my only gripe with the bike, felt like i was too short for it???

·
Registered
126 Posts
5' 5" .... Hmmm.... That's not too unusual of a size for a rider. I'm 5' 8" and I can easily plant my feet on my 999 and although I have yet to sit on my MV, I have sat on others (mostly in showrooms) and I don't recall having a problem keeping my feet planted. My girlfriend is roughly 5' 2" and she doesnt even attempt to ride my 999, because of the fact her feet flaot in the air. When we got her own Monster 620, I had to swap out the factory non-adjustable rear "dog-bone" for one off a Superbike (999) that gave the rear adjustability. In doing so we were able to drop her Monster almost a whole two inches! She now rides with confidence. On a Duc its pretty easy, but I'm not sure what it takes on the MV. I'm sure given the proper detail and a good mechanic / fabricator, one could find a way to lower the MV more than half an inch, but at what cost, that's the hard part. I mean, I've heard of people who have cut and custom fab'ed their seats subframe to be lower. That IMO is taking it to the extreme, but hey if that's what it takes for you to own the bike you want - all the power to you. Did you sit on the MV? Have you ridden one? What factors have you considered in your MV purchase. I hope its not soley based on its looks, which for some is enough to whip out the check book. For me, I have been on v-twins for a number of years now, but I grew up on high-reving jap machines. I miss those high revs to be quite honest, and the MV purchase will help fill that void in me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DucatiGuy said:
5' 5" .... Hmmm.... That's not too unusual of a size for a rider. I'm 5' 8" and I can easily plant my feet on my 999 and although I have yet to sit on my MV, I have sat on others (mostly in showrooms) and I don't recall having a problem keeping my feet planted. My girlfriend is roughly 5' 2" and she doesnt even attempt to ride my 999, because of the fact her feet flaot in the air. When we got her own Monster 620, I had to swap out the factory non-adjustable rear "dog-bone" for one off a Superbike (999) that gave the rear adjustability. In doing so we were able to drop her Monster almost a whole two inches! She now rides with confidence. On a Duc its pretty easy, but I'm not sure what it takes on the MV. I'm sure given the proper detail and a good mechanic / fabricator, one could find a way to lower the MV more than half an inch, but at what cost, that's the hard part. I mean, I've heard of people who have cut and custom fab'ed their seats subframe to be lower. That IMO is taking it to the extreme, but hey if that's what it takes for you to own the bike you want - all the power to you. Did you sit on the MV? Have you ridden one? What factors have you considered in your MV purchase. I hope its not soley based on its looks, which for some is enough to whip out the check book. For me, I have been on v-twins for a number of years now, but I grew up on high-reving jap machines. I miss those high revs to be quite honest, and the MV purchase will help fill that void in me.
Thanks for the info ducguy. I have sat on an mv and yes I did ride one ...around a block. Now back to the question of why I want to buy one. Well, I guess its hard to explain. One reason is that I wanted one ever since 2000 when the f4 came out. Two is that it is awefully pretty looking. Three is I want a bike again. Four is that isnt your normal "cookie cutter" japanese bike. Five is number two again. Six is that I like nice vehicles. Lastly for number seven...oh ya thats number two again. I have looked at the dogbone that adjusts the ride height and I think I can have a new one fabricated to lower much like your g/f's monster!!! :drummer:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
DucatiGuy said:

That may be true, but the Duc is a lot more nimble in the gas tank/seat zone, so you don't have to spread your legs and have more "free" leg.

NOMOEVO, i hope you can deal with the heigh issue and get the MV but the dealer is right and you can't lower it that much.
MV or Duc........ you can't lose no matter what you choose :smoking:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Nomoevo, I'm only 5'7" and I don't have a problem with my F4, set the height adjuster as low as it will go and you will get used to it. Capirossi does OK on his Duke. I have a friend who is about 5'4" and rides a Gixxer 750, he sort of slides across the seat when coming to a stop and gets a toe down. We all take the piss out of him but he does Ok and he can certainly ride the bike well once he's on the move.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I think you need to speak to some suspension people, many people have their bikes lowered, I was picking my newly valved F4 1000 forks up from Maxton a couple of weeks back now and they had a brand new Triumph 675 in there that was being lowered for its new female owner. I suspect that as well as the 1/2 inch or so that is available from the rear adjuster ther will be other ways to get the bike lower, you may however need a new rear custom made shock which will probably cost in the £400 mark, you could always just wind the rear spring preload down, which may give you up to an inch or so lowering, but will give you loads of sag at the rear, which you will certainly not want once you start pushing the bike harder......speak to some reputable after market suspension firms, I'm sure thay will advise you well. oh, i'm 5' 7 and I need to be carefull with the 1000 (its 23mm higher than the 750!) I have a pair of Sidi vertabre boots that I just can't wear on this bike, I had to buy a softer heeled set to allow my ankle to bend further!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dude, the bike qas designed for fast little Italians exactly your height. If you want to see short, you shoule see my 5'0" ride the 996 or the MV. You gotta learn to hook your knee on the seat dirt bike style. :smoking:

Chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts