MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
18,853 Posts
Small Dainese unit that fits in the pocket of my Alpinestar leathers...because it's required.....I never had this kind of protective armor when I was racing and pushing the limits a hell of a lot closer then I do now.

We didn't even have knee pucks..

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
What are you wearing and why?

Forcefield; soft protection and good coverage of the back. It's important to me as I broke my back six years ago in a bicycle race. No protection there.

The protection the Forcefield stuff offers is amazing; outclasses everything else and certainly the hard protection, which I personally would never use.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Surprisingly, I find my self agreeing with yet another liberal lawyer.

I have the Forcefield piece as well. Thin, lightweight, and very good protection.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
+1 on Forcefield. Good stuff.

·
Registered
177 Posts
+1 on Forcefield, I use their complete under suit. Great stuff and I find that the few times I have had to call on their protective abilities, they do a good job and do not slide or ride up as you are sliding down the track.

:yo:

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny, I posted this on another site and basically got the same answer. 100% agreement.
Is the place out in SF the only place to get them in the US?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I also use Forcefield with my jackets, but on the track, it rides up on me for some reason, probably due to the tight fit of the one-piece suit. I use Dainese Wave with the suit.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I use a full lenght Knox which I have had for three years, similar to the current Aegis model. This has been on me twice when I have "ooooops",, "ouch" :cry:.

MikeF4black why you would you not wear a hard plastic one, is there a good reason to now get a 'soft protection' version.
My reasoning is the hard one will cut me and hurt me in a crash; the soft one (the Forcefield one) has scientifically proven superior energy absorbing properties.

One of my mates crashed at Zandvoort a few years ago and slid into a wall wearing his Dainese suit with hard protection. His upper arm broke in two or three places, and it was obvious the edge of the hard protection in the shoulder was instrumental in that process.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I use Forcefield/T-Pro in everything I own (the whole line) back & chest on the track, back protectors in my jackets, etc...very comfortable and very well made. Here's my quandary...the first time I ever put it to the test was in Nov when I was doing a duel sport ride from LA to Vegas (Was using the Forcefield Adventure rig, which has back, chest, shoulders and elbows all webbed or strapped together)...I rode up a steep hill and when I crested the top at 35MPH, I found a group of bike stopped just beyond the view, as I landed, I got on the brakes and slowed to around 5 MPH when I hit one of the bikes (no avoiding hitting someone, they were seven wide and blocked the entire trail)...I fell over and landed on my back, breaking my scapula and two ribs, it was a very soft hit. The breaks were all well underneath the back protector...I know for a fact I would have been fine if I'd been wearing anyone of the hard plastic overlapping back protectors on the market (at 5MPH of course) I value the product, and feel that at real speed, it's the only way to go (although I'm now checking into a company in So Cal that makes protection for several MotoGP & WSBK riders) as the hard stuff will cause problems at the edges in big hits. Not sure why I'm even bringing it up, except to say that you never really know how good something really is until you use it, and I ended up useless for six weeks the first time I put it to the test. I think in this particular episode, the end result was pretty much the same, as having nothing in place, as I broke everything that actually hit the ground. Going 80MPH and glancing the ground for sixty feet probably would have had a different result. Makes me want to wear a hard protector over the Forcefield while riding off road.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Check out the new back protector that BMW has brought out in conjunction with the release of the new 1000. I will be picking mine up tomorrow and trying it out next week at Roebling Road in Georgia. It fits very well and even provides limited protection to the front of the collarbone. You hardly feel it when you have it on.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Check out the new back protector that BMW has brought out in conjunction with the release of the new 1000. I will be picking mine up tomorrow and trying it out next week at Roebling Road in Georgia. It fits very well and even provides limited protection to the front of the collarbone. You hardly feel it when you have it on.
I can't seem to find it, got a link? Thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
which back protector is it? bmw back protector 2?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I also use the Forcefield, seems comfortable etc, Kawasaki also sell them under their name, and they're green!!
Std equipment with a new BKS suit, that's where mine came from

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I bought a Knox back protector a few years ago, I just couldn't get on with it, I found it very uncomfortable and I sold it (to someone on here I believe). Now I just go with whatever armour is in the leathers I have. I'm not recommending my course of action to anyone else, being uncomfortable is better than having a broken back and I believe the Knox gear is as good as anything out there, it's just it didn't work for me thats all.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My reasoning is the hard one will cut me and hurt me in a crash; the soft one (the Forcefield one) has scientifically proven superior energy absorbing properties.

One of my mates crashed at Zandvoort a few years ago and slid into a wall wearing his Dainese suit with hard protection. His upper arm broke in two or three places, and it was obvious the edge of the hard protection in the shoulder was instrumental in that process.
:ahhh: how come non of the professional riders (moto gp, wsbk etc.) are wearing soft back protectors? you might wanna rethink your reasoning and try a dainese wave protector or something similar. probably the best out there and they did put a ton of research into them. of course it's up to you but your spine will thank you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts