MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, returned from the epic ride (Gold Coast to Sydney)..about 1,400km in the end. We took in some of the best twisties Australia has to offer....the Oxley Highway, Thunderbolts Way, Bucketts Way and the Old Road. Pretty much rained all the way...but had a blast!

Given I had just picked up the new 910s - I took it easy on day 1, but loved this bike more than I ever thought I would. I actually cannot believe that there is not more strong language on here about how f$#^ing good the Brutale is!

Given I am so enamored with the machine, of course I am looking for perfection, and hence thought I would share some thoughts on the things that were out of this world good, and the things that may need a little attention in the future!

The things that may need my attention!

- those vibrating grips...easy to fix apparently
- the stiff/ultra responsive throttle
- the position of the gear lever - needs adjustment for me
- maybe the mirrors - but I kinda lived with them
- the stiff rear end suspension - thinking a few clicks on the shock will fix this

The things that rocked!

- the mad handling - loved the twisties
- the crazy acceleration right through the rev range
- the die for looks of the thing - every stop resulted in a conversation with bikers and non-bikers alike!
- the huge amount of torque, even for an IL4?

So there are a few things off the top of my head...not an exhaustive list, but I wonder how everyone else feel after the have spent a few days with their Brute??

(still trying to wipe the shite eating grin off my face everytime I pull the helmet on)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Well done mate. Wish I could have joined you, those roads are fantastic.
Any pix?
Looks like there's a few bods on this forum interested in an MV ride out of Sydney soon.
See you then :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree whole heartedly with your assessment of the good and the bad.

*I bought mine used and it had Rizmo bar end weights installed, so the tingling is there but it's not too bad.
*I never rode with the stock mirrors (I understand the consensus is they're pretty useless). Mine came with the Rizmo bar end clamp on mirrors which give the added bonus of folding out of the way for lane splitting Los Angeles traffic. Vibration does not affect them.
*Not sure of your weight but I'm only 155lbs and the fork and shock spring rates are no where near light enough for me. In fact even with the wifey on the back it still feels overly stiff. So stiff that it made my race GSXR 1000 with an Ohlins shock and resprung fork feel like a Cadillac in comparison. I had a pro set up the stock stuff ($30) and it made a huge difference in balance in the corners. However if I hit any bumps the front deflects and the rear kicks. A TTX in the back and a respring/revalve up front will happen when I get a spare $2,000.

I had the exact same thoughts about "all the things that rocked" - and still do for that matter!

Enjoy her and welcome to the club.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Luke

Agree with your comments - I had issues with rear brake and gear lever - but easy to adjust.

Would be good to catch up for a ride soon.

John M

·
Registered
177 Posts
The two problems I find with mine is
when I accelerate I have trouble trying to keep the front wheel on the tarmac.
And when I brake I find the rear wheel keeps coming up :yo::yo::brutale:
:)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well done mate. Wish I could have joined you, those roads are fantastic.
Any pix?
Looks like there's a few bods on this forum interested in an MV ride out of Sydney soon.
See you then :)
Yes, the roads were almost made for the Brute..especially Thunderbolts!

Will be good to track down the Sydney ride! Where is the best place to find the threads in here??

Look forward to seeing you on the road...:brutale:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Yes, the roads were almost made for the Brute..especially Thunderbolts!

Will be good to track down the Sydney ride! Where is the best place to find the threads in here??

Look forward to seeing you on the road...:brutale:
There's a current "Sydney Ride" thread under category "Group Meets, Events, Ride

It might be on this Sunday, meeting at Berowra Mobil 9am.

By the way, how did you go with fuel consumption on the ride? And what about the seat?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Just how bad are the vibes through the stock setup? The same as the F4?

I'm selling my Ducati S4R because the vibes have caused major wrist agony, i was hoping the Brute wouldn't have that same issue.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

I'm selling my Ducati S4R because the vibes have caused major wrist agony, i was hoping the Brute wouldn't have that same issue.
Vibes through the grips are only an annoyance when on a long straight highway section at constant speed, trying to keep the throttle steady for long periods of time. If you're in town, in the twisties and at the track probably too, it is not a problem as you are actively piloting the thing, using the throttle, changing gears, braking, leaning into corners and accelerating out of them, etc...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mick de V - Thanks for the tip re: Sydney rides!

As for fuel...the light was coming on at about 200-220km. I got 250km out of it with the light on for about 30km at one stage (along Bucketts). We were taking it pretty easy...with some 'gas' thrown in.

Only issue I had was whether to use 98 or 95 RON - thoughts??

BTW- the seat was perfect...no need for an airhawk or anything in my mind!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I cannot comment about the F4 vibes. I agree with Mick de V - the vibes were only an issue on the Pacific Highway...which a Brutale should not be allowed on anyway ;-)

I will still consider bar end weights though, as the bike is so damn fine, that I want it to be beyond perfect! (I sound like such a suck)...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The two problems I find with mine is
when I accelerate I have trouble trying to keep the front wheel on the tarmac.
And when I brake I find the rear wheel keeps coming up :yo::yo::brutale:
:)
I am starting to have the same complaints...and also finding it hard to see with the adrenaline needle stuck in my eyeball?

You?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Mick de V - Thanks for the tip re: Sydney rides!

As for fuel...the light was coming on at about 200-220km. I got 250km out of it with the light on for about 30km at one stage (along Bucketts). We were taking it pretty easy...with some 'gas' thrown in.

Only issue I had was whether to use 98 or 95 RON - thoughts??

BTW- the seat was perfect...no need for an airhawk or anything in my mind!
I run the Brute on 98, for no other reason that I'm used to doing that with my Beemer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
hi B'luke, I went thru the same thing. Bgt my brute in Melb. and rode to Sydney. Im 75kg and 175cm. The suspension was already set up. Problems I had and fixed...
Vibes in the handlebars.. filled with silicone
Twichy( quick steering) ..added a rotary steering dampner
Neck stiffness...added little "bikini fairing"
On/ off throttle response... power commender,dyno tune, get rid of cat. converter.
[email protected]!!$%.. think you said no probs, but I did. Got mine re done in QLD and no more slinding into the tank!

now its the bees knees!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi B'luke, I went thru the same thing. Bgt my brute in Melb. and rode to Sydney. Im 75kg and 175cm. The suspension was already set up. Problems I had and fixed...
Vibes in the handlebars.. filled with silicone
Twichy( quick steering) ..added a rotary steering dampner
Neck stiffness...added little "bikini fairing"
On/ off throttle response... power commender,dyno tune, get rid of cat. converter.
[email protected]!!$%.. think you said no probs, but I did. Got mine re done in QLD and no more slinding into the tank!

now its the bees knees!
I like your solution to the buzz...silicone could be the way to go!

Neck stiffness, seat and twitchy steering not a prob....

The throttle response is not bothering me yet, but I can see how it might, and the power commander/dyno tune + remove cat. converter sounds like the right solution!!

Great tips - thanks....

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am starting to have the same complaints...and also finding it hard to see with the adrenaline needle stuck in my eyeball?

You?
I need at least 45 minutes after riding before the adrenaline needle calms down :laughing: The more you ride it the worst it gets :naughty:

Great Hooligan Bike :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts