MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made an 300km ride today after the bike got the new mapping and clutch. The bike is really much better especially from 2000 till 4500 but from 5000 till 5500 it is still their feeled it when i had to go 70km/h.
But overall it was perfect.
only 2 things made me wonder . First the bike was really thirsty today for the 305km i had to refill twice an total of 28,9 l. That was a little bit shocking even when i rode 100km highway with an topspeed of 239.

Second i wasnt satisfied with the quickshifter. i had to open the throttel to shift down which dont make much sense to me and I had to close the throttle a little bit to shift up. Dont feel to save much time compared to use the clutch thought i could hold the throttle complete open while shifting up.
today there was the retest on German Bike magazin and they gave only 3 points more. Havent rode the Triumph but i cant belive it beats the MV by 40 points 667 to 626.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Second i wasnt satisfied with the quickshifter. i had to open the throttel to shift down which dont make much sense to me and I had to close the throttle a little bit to shift up. Dont feel to save much time compared to use the clutch thought i could hold the throttle complete open while shifting up.
The EAS of my F3 works well, even though I don´t use it in normal traffic. As I understand the EAS is only for shifting into higher gears... may be I´m wrong...
Yours is a retrofit, isn´t it? Are you sure that it has been activated in the ECU?

·
Registered
352 Posts
The EAS is only for upshifting and works best when the bike is accelerating.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine works up and down. switching gears perfect quick without noise. but i have to change the throttle a little bit to make it work

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
mine works up and down. switching gears perfect quick without noise. but i have to change the throttle a little bit to make it work
Then it's not perfect is it :stickpoke.

·
Registered
23 Posts
thats bullshit about the mv quickshifter, give it a little while and i bet a better aftermarket quick shifter will come out, cant believe how much they have fucked up the f3 by just having little shit like that off.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
that was my question. Havnt had one before. But i thought it would allow me to change gears with holding on full gas.
Okay, so have you had a good read through the manual ? As far as I know the F3 Q/Shifter is only for going up through the gears but I stand corrected.
From experiance most Q/Shifters only work once you have gone over a pre-set rev range, 4000rpm or higher in most cases. Have you checked this ?
All Q/shifters that I know about that blips the throttle for downchange also have a set rpm range, and in most cases you still use the clutch, you just don't manauly operate the throttle.
Let us know what you have.

thats bullshit about the mv quickshifter, give it a little while and i bet a better aftermarket quick shifter will come out, cant believe how much they have fucked up the f3 by just having little shit like that off.
What do you know that we don't know.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Don't be offended by this (as I don;t know how you ride, your level of experience or your technical understanding) but I wonder if you know what a Q/S really does and how they work.

There are very few on the market that blip the throttle for you on down change, and donsy is right, but i'm pretty sure the MV offering doesn't do this (although with ride by wire I would expect to see it at some stage).

A quickshifter works by cutting the engine for a fraction of a second, allowing the gearbox to unload and change from one gear to the other (but only when going up gears). The time required to allow the gearbox to unload and move from gear to gear differs depending on the engine revs.

A simple Q/S only allows you to set a single ignition pause time, meaning the Q/S will only really be effective in a limited rev range (so think full throttle applications). More advances Q'S's allow you to set different intervals for different rev ranges.

Given that the MV has been built to a price I would suspect MV have only allowed for a single cut off timing, and given the bikes track focus, will only truly be effective and smooth at high revs and full throttle. This is not a limitation or a reason to bag MV, this is what most manufacturers put in place as std (it's just that MV have a reputation to uphold as well, so customers have a higher than normal expectation).

Your experience of rugged gear changes may be a result of the current bikes application. If you are stll running in and revs are still reasonably low, the Q/S is not working in it's designed territory.

I assume you have checked that Q/S is actually turned on, on the bikes dash menu?

If you are confident that it's not that, then I would have the sensor tested, and finally question whether your bike has the correct Q/S settings from factory (perhaps someone has fiddled with the timing during service?)

Finally I would question the importer, as if enough people have the same experience, perhaps the Q/S setting done at the factory requires adjustment to suit 90% of buyers.

My personal experience is that I can clutchlessly shift on the MV WITHOUT a QS and get very smooth and linear transition (but then I was doing that sort of thing before Q'S's were invented).

Good luck, I hope you find the solution you are looking for!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Just wondering (I could be quite wrong) but what would be a need of blipping the throttle on downshift when you have a slipperclutch fitted??? :stickpoke

Just sayin....

·
Registered
614 Posts
Just wondering (I could be quite wrong) but what would be a need of blipping the throttle on downshift when you have a slipperclutch fitted??? :stickpoke

Just sayin....
Fug all actually. May be a bit of mechanical sympathy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
318 Posts

Just sayin....
Slipper clutch is not made for this application...but it would require less blipping of the throttle to downshift (I think).

A slipper clutch function is to allow the rear wheel to experience less engine braking so that the driver can have greater control going into corners off the gas (no feathering of the clutch or playing with small amounts of gas to prevent the rear from sliding out). MV have introduced EAS as an alternative - I personally would have preferred a good slipper as I do not completely trust a computer to know how much gas to give going into and through a corner...but that may just be my age showing:jsm:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank You all for Your support. Special thank to MVF3_40 and Trepis-Toni.
The problem was as simple as unexpected since I got the bike from my dealer back with the QS after the 1000 inspection. He told me everything is done and as i posted I could change gears without using the clutch. The problem was as some proposed it was not activated.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Slipper clutch is not made for this application...but it would require less blipping of the throttle to downshift (I think).

A slipper clutch f5nction is to allow the rear wheel to experience less engine braking so that the driver can have greater control going into corners off the gas (no feathering of the clutch or playing with small amounts of gas to prevent the rear from sliding out). MV have introduced EAS as an alternative - I personally would have preferred a good slipper as I do not completely trust a computer to know how much gas to give going into and through a corner...but that may just be my age showing:jsm:
Less engine braking, what like when it's just kicked down a gear? If engine speed was less than rear wheel speed wouldn't this induce the slipper clutch action? Therefore not requiring a blip of throttle on downshift to match engine to wheel speed?The electronic way MV does it would produce a similar result just with a different method.Correct me if I'm wrong or have mis-understood

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thank You all for Your support. Special thank to MVF3_40 and Trepis-Toni.
The problem was as simple as unexpected since I got the bike from my dealer back with the QS after the 1000 inspection. He told me everything is done and as i posted I could change gears without using the clutch. The problem was as some proposed it was not activated.
Is this what we call a forehead slap moment? :stickpokeGlad your all sorted mate

1 - 19 of 19 Posts