MV Agusta Forum banner

B800 1500kms in report

897 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Farmer 
#1 ·
First service is done and my '14 MV is now about to click 1600kms. Previously I had a Street and then Speed Triple.

Things I'm not so pleased with, to start. Clutch release point isn't progressive. Finish isn't as tough as the Brit bikes. The stickers should have been clearcoated. Rear brake isn't anything to write home about. Throttle response could be more crisp in the lower revs. Using a custom map reveals some glitches in mapping.

Best surprise: ride quality. It's a comfortable bike for a rider my size - 160 pounds. I feel better about a two hour ride on the B800 than either my Speed or Street. I have it set up maybe a touch soft but doing so hasn't hurt the handling.

The handling. I ride my bikes everywhere, and often I like popping around urban corners vs droaning along the country lanes where I live. The MV carves arcs. It's entertaining riding slow.

The motor is just that touch over the top that makes a bike of this capacity so much fun.

Overall, I'm glad I traded my Speed in for this bike. Only thing that could change my mind is reliability.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, on clearcoating...I'd love that too, but clearly B3 being the cheapest mv, the factory has traded-off some costs. Another good example of this is a clutch lever without proper adjustment capability. Ride it in S mode and the throttle response will be crisper ;) The amount that any experienced rider would use a rear break I find it sufficient to do the small handling adjustment job, though it's easy to lock it out if you use it while breaking. Other than the above, it's mapping glitches, sprag clutch and a gear sensor, which are all known issues, you will find the bike more amazing the more you get along with it. Handling is unmatched by anything I've ridden so far. Almost as precise and easy as my racing mountain bike :)

#3 ·
Milan, good to hear your thoughts.

I think the rear brake is weak. I've got to really stomp on it to do anything. Normally, though, I'm just feathering the rear during slow speed moments. It's not bothering me, in other words.

I've not had a problem with sprag, gear sensor.

On mapping. I set up a custom map with Rain throttle response and sport everything else. I don't think those parameters compute well. It's the only map I've had where twisting the throttle occasionally means nothing happens. I now swap between Rain in urban areas and Sport on open roads. I don't fully trust my custom setting.

I love the way this bike handles. Like you said - like a high end moutain bike. There's a lot of weight pushed over the front end which makes the front tyre feel like it's digging into the tarmac.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.