MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Looks like I will be accompanying my Father on a tour either into Europe or around the Irish coast. He has a Ducati Multistrada 1000Ds (2004) and I have my Brutale 750s. I have no doubt that his bike is perfectly suited for the trip. Mine however, not so much. As a second bike isn't an option and dont really fancy the idea trading the B4 in as to get anything I want would cost the bike + ££ which I just cant jusify to the better half, so I am left with making the Brutale as suitable as possible. Having riden it ti the Isle of Man I know the seat needs addressed as a bear minimum. I aslo wonder about a screen and maybe some bar risers.

Has anyone toured with a Brutale before? And what tips can you offer.

Thanks

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You can tour on any bike, I did Italian Alps and Northern Italy on a 350LC back in the 80s, though a bike designed for purpose will make it a more pleasant experience. Have you considered trying something like an AirHawk seat cover?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can tour on any bike, I did Italian Alps and Northern Italy on a 350LC back in the 80s, though a bike designed for purpose will make it a more pleasant experience. Have you considered trying something like an AirHawk seat cover?
Hi, I also consider this to be true, anything can be used. I just want make it as easy going as I can so I can enjoy it as much as possible. I was thinking along the lines of Airhawk or similar. I have already put a gel pad into the stock seat, but it really doesnt cut it for long journeys.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Calcifur,

You tour on what you've got and like. I have no problems touring on the Brutale. AirHawk is probably a good idea as the standard seat is shit, the angles are all wrong. I have a Corbin seat which is great and looks better but reasonably expensive and takes 3-4 months to arrive here in Oz. Get yourself a good pair of cycling knicks, no jocks (Assos are good). They make a big difference on a long day. A small sheepskin is also good but a bugger to keep centralised on the seat. Never thought of a screen but a mate put one on his 1090 and reckoned it helped wind wise. Looked shit though (impo). Can't see the point unless you're doing warp speeds which are only going to lose your licence on a tour. Still it doesn't rain much here except in the wet season when it's so heavy you need to be a looney to attempt to ride. We do it though and a screen wouldn't make a difference. Too old for a 6/700k day but 500k on the Brutale is no problem. Up here you have to do that to get anywhere. It's as comfortable as any previous bike I've toured on. Yeah, there are bikes out there made for for touring but how boring are they?

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Food to see other people doing long distances on their Brutale. I am not sure about a screen, just a thought at the moment. Defo gonna get some sort of bum pad. Cycling shorts is a good shout.

Sent from my VIE-AL10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Edward,

Yes I have a Givi Tank bag and Jofama tail bag that I will use, plus roll up dry bag style pack that I will be using. is a good set up that I have used before, but it doesn't leave a lot of space for moving around when its all on board!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
ive ridden all the adv touring bikes and had an 1190R and still the most comfortable long distance bike I've ever had was my 14 zx10r

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I used to tour long distance quite regularly on my Brute 910R, which went to another good home two years ago.
The Airhawk (small size) made a huge difference to comfort. I had the MV tank bag and luggage locker tailbag which were good enough for a few days.
I'm with Deano on the screen - ugly and serves no purpose.
I did ride long distances in the rain, too. No problem if you wear the right gear.
And on the topic of "touring bikes", I do enjoy my current KTM super adventure, which I can take on dirt roads without any worries, thus opening up new horizons
Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did 3000 miles down through the Alps to Andorra and back on my 1090RR. Absolutely no problem and great fun. Used Kriega bags and camped. It was great. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. I had no screen or risers. No problem.
Thats a tasty looking 1090! And I love the kreiga gear, I would love a set of there packs, pretty expensive thought when you start addin it all up. At the momentihave to settle for the tool roll!! Haha.
This is my currentnset up, I think I will find a seat pad. Thanks for all the input. IMG_0231.jpg

·
Registered
203 Posts
A few years ago I done a 3.000 km/4 days trip on B-750. First and last day approx. 1.000 km/day.
Used tank bag Givi TPH02 (yeah ... not actually a tank bag :D ) and Givi T437 as a tail bag.

The only extra thing I did was suspension setup to "soft".

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
Oh, I've toured on bikes not intended....

My Brutale 1090RR is much more comfortable than this was:

R1Loaded.JPG

FWIW, those bags work nicely on the 1090RR....:wink2:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a lot of luggage for a relatively small amount off load space!

Thanks for all the input, defo makes me feel more confident about taking on a week long trip later in the year. Hopefully to be followed by a longer trip into Europe in 2019.

·
Registered
14,489 Posts
?

One of the best mods to my Brutale 910R was a Biondi Bikini fairing, previously at 85mph it was hang on with both
hands. Now at 95mph it's 1 hand
The wind only hits the corners of my shoulders.....it's a Godsend, I made new mounts that have the rear of the fairing ~4mm
from the brake and clutch reservoirs......
Trust me, I put ~80,000mi on the Autobahn between Heidelberg to near Zürich, at 115mph, in 4 1/2 years, the wind is the most tiring thing

Use a medium height tank bag and lay on it......no arm or back strain

:wink2:

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts