MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a thorough clean of the engine and noted that the 3 pin connector from the alternator to the regulator was lightly discoloured with oil. The only culprit I could see is where the wires exit the alternator body.
Can anyone confirm that the alternator oil cooling pumps oil into that area?
From the MV media blurb: "There is also a new Mitsubishi, Neodymium-Iron-Boron generator, cooled by a high pressure internal oil jet, which - together with the new transmission system and a damper that incorporates an elastomer vibration canceling system - contributes to saving a full 3.52 lbs"

It is not a major issue, but my detail freak personality means I just want to know. We are talking about 36000km worth of accumulation here btw.

·
Registered
14,505 Posts
oozing?

there is a oil jet that sprays on the stator windings......i doubt that its coming through the wiring, but it is possible

check over on the AF1 Aprilia Forum;
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?272680-Stator-failures-Oil-Mod-and-Series-Regulator/page5

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?279414-Another-Stator-Oil-Cooling-Mod

ND screwed up, the stator core color indicates a temp ~530F....and they just melt......too much magnetism

i'm on my 7th stator, 3 Factory, custom ones, rewound ones, smaller OD ones and a different kind of regulator

i have a pair of 1st gen MVs..... with real automotive alternators

not revamped '40s bullshit

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Noel. We are talking very minor, a drop every 10,000km, just enough to cover the connector with a light film.
PS: 7th stator in how many years? That sort of crap would make one very upset! They shouldn't be a consumable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Seems every bike has weak points. The Aprilias (at least the last model Tuono) have a poor alternator design, the "brown connector" for the alternator has a bad habit of melting and the rear brake is damn near impossible to keep functional as it traps air (it's a bugger to bleed). Even at that I still keep one eye on the adverts for one. What the heck, I still have a set of forged wheels, Corbin seat, rear saddle and frame sliders looking for another Tuono...... They do have plenty of grunt, not as rabid as the Brutale though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Aprilia instrument package is WAY better than MV's. Now if we could get them to collaborate - take the best from each, or at least borrow each other's good design features and bin the poor ones.

·
Registered
14,505 Posts
collaborate?

The Aprilia instrument package is WAY better than MV's. Now if we could get them to collaborate - take the best from each, or at least borrow each other's good design features and bin the poor ones.
No, No, No, No, No

get 1 engineer with a fucking brain......that's been building stuff for 30-40 years....make him chief engineer in charge of the entire project

NOT A COLLEGE ENGINEERING STUDENT like Massimo Bordi, his college thesis paper was that Ducati used for the 4 valve head

ever hear of any problems with Ducati heads?????:stickpoke:stickpoke

nobody with an IQ of more than 10 would have put a 3810-2RS bearing in the MV hub......its going to fail and it does...

the new ones have a single row 810-2RS you think thats better????

·
Registered
106 Posts
Noel, you're right as usual. Don't know what I was thinking! I admit it's how I get my projects done at work. I'm not an engineer - I just tell them what to do.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts