MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Well after a big clean of the bike, i noticed that the clearance of the belly pan to the headers is very close. So close that the white panel of the 150 decal is slightly discoloured due to the heat (hard to see in this photo as I have lightened it up to show the gap). I checked this after a quick ride and its blimin hot.

My first thought is to put some heat shielding on the inside... Which I think I will just do anyway. But I wonder if anyone else has come across this and thought up another cunning plan?

I did also notice that if you push the front oil cooler shroud back towards the bike, the belly pan tends to widen a little, giving a bit more space between it and the headers... So another thought would be to try and shorten the bracket holding this.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Simon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So.. Ive taken off and put back carefully but there is no fit adjustment. e.g. the belly pan is in the place it should be.

So i went to a place called FrameCrusher - who make race suits and build speedway and drag cars. Bought a square of fabric heat shield, rated to 1 billion degrees*. Made up some cardboard blanks for fit then glued into place with heat resistant contact adhesive.

* Actual heat rating may differ.

I trimmed and cleaned up the edges and extra goo. Ive also got a couple of little strips to do at the very top. This has resulted in significantly lower temp of the plastic - so win.

PS: The very first photo shows the discolouration of the panels, but strangely enough you cant see the weird rough part of the green IRL - so this must be a quirk of the camera to show this up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
So.. Ive taken off and put back carefully but there is no fit adjustment. e.g. the belly pan is in the place it should be.

So i went to a place called FrameCrusher - who make race suits and build speedway and drag cars. Bought a square of fabric heat shield, rated to 1 billion degrees*. Made up some cardboard blanks for fit then glued into place with heat resistant contact adhesive.

* Actual heat rating may differ.

I trimmed and cleaned up the edges and extra goo. Ive also got a couple of little strips to do at the very top. This has resulted in significantly lower temp of the plastic - so win.

PS: The very first photo shows the discolouration of the panels, but strangely enough you cant see the weird rough part of the green IRL - so this must be a quirk of the camera to show this up.

Good job Si

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So - to follow up with this - the heat shielding is doing its job, mostly. There is still parts where the headers are too close to the shielding and its melted the shielding a bit and heat still seems to be getting thru.

I wonder - what if i wrapped the pipes, starting just under where the belly pan starts? Any ideas here?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Seriously mate, it is a Brutale, ceramic coat the headers so they look good and cut down the heat. Wrap will look shite and is more likely to get crap on it and need replacing sooner than on it would on the fully faired bikes. If you get crap on your ceramic coat you can just wash it off. Matt black would probably do it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts