MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

About 1 year ago I purchased a 2008 Brutale 910S with 8k km on the odometer and at that particular day I was the happiest man in the whole world.

It is fitted with a full titanium exaust system, iridium sparkling plugs and an BMC sports filter.

After driving my bike a few times, I started noticing hiccups while driving on low revs (100kph on 6th gear) and even in idle. There are times when the engine is running as smooth as butter, but sometimes it starts hiccuping a lot, making the ride not so easy, specially in curvy roads. This issues comes and goes randomly. The bike has 13k km at the moment.

I have had this problem for 1 year now and still no solution. The 1st mechanic I took the bike to replaced the TPS and the sparkling plugs (put new iridium ones), reset the bike parameters according to factory specs and during the first ride it was all smooth again, but after that the hiccups came back (again, sporadically). After 4 times in this mechanic, I took it to a 2nd mechanic, who promised to solve my problems by installing a Rapid Bike EVO in it and remapping the fuel injection. Again, smooth after taking it out of the shop, but hiccupping again after a few days. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot, you can already notice the problem just by starting the bike.

Here in Brazil, our benzin is low quality because it is mixed with ethanol (resulting in 89 octanes), but even with premium benzin 95 the hiccups look worse. It should be the opposite imho.

Also, now the bike is stalling while I am standstill in the traffic stop lights. This is very embarassing for such a premium bike.

My current guess is that something could be wrong with the sparkling plug cables or with the fuel pump, but I would like to know from you guys what you think.

MVs are not common in Brazil, so buying new parts is really damn expensive (I have to import everything and pay high taxes), so I would appreciatte if you could give me any tips of what to try without needing to buy any new stuff... I have already spent quite a lot of money on the parts that were changed (including the rear hub which broke with 12k km, meaning a good 700 euro cost for me).

I hope you guys can help me figuring out what the problem is. I love the bike, but this hiccupping makes me really frustrated... :bawling:

Thanks in advance!:brutale:

PS: the bike in my avatar is my bike =D

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Can you shorten all of that, my attention span is not so great at the moment.
Just kidding mate, that's a great history of your problem, and welcome to the forum.
Sounds to me like you might have an air leak somewhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Donsy, thanks for such a fast reply and warm welcome ahahahah =D

Have you heard of such an air leak problem in the B4 before? Any suggestions on where I should start looking at?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi and welcome VipeR,

The 910S has Champion coils fitted and these can go bad, particularly when the bike is warm. Try getting a set of balance gauges hooked up to your bike and warm it up until the hicups can be replicated. The balance gauge will show which cylinder is spluttering. If it is one cylinder then swap the coil to another cylinder and see if it transfers.

If it does then you need to replace that coil. The champion coils are no longer made so you would need one of the later Beru ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Donsy, I've read a few topics about stalling bikes, but honestly I think this is the smallest of the problems at the moment... I still that the hope that it will be solved when I solve the hiccup issue.

Hi jimboF4! I will try that too!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi and welcome VipeR,

The 910S has Champion coils fitted and these can go bad, particularly when the bike is warm. Try getting a set of balance gauges hooked up to your bike and warm it up until the hicups can be replicated. The balance gauge will show which cylinder is spluttering. If it is one cylinder then swap the coil to another cylinder and see if it transfers.

If it does then you need to replace that coil. The champion coils are no longer made so you would need one of the later Beru ones.
jimbof4 is right check coil sticks i had same prob on 910 R down to to coil sticks .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was your 910R also with this symptoms, mv raptor? Sporadic hiccups and engine stalling in standstill?

·
Registered
474 Posts
yes very similar it took me ages to figure it out cutting out at junctions when hot a very slight misfire at 2000-2500 rpm and stalling at start up replaced the coli sticks with the Beru german ones had to rewire them as not plug and play a lot better than the champion ones .

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If you haven't already check the four vacuum hoses, I had similar issues the other day when one of mine was starting to come off at the throttle body end.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello guys, I have some news... My mechanic checked the stuff you told me about and all those things seem to be fine. Apparently, no rubber parts are compromised, nor the equalization tubes, TPS is within specs, bike is already fitted with Beru coils instead of the Champion ones, coils are presenting the correct values while cold/hot...

What he found (and which I would like to consult with you about) is that the throttle body is opening 1 side (2 cylinders) a little earlier than the other side. Even though he tried to make the complete equalization of the bike, he says that his best guess at the moment is that we should replace the TBI (throtle body intake) for another one and hope it will fix the hiccuping of the engine...

What do you think? Have you seen such problem before?? If you agree with him, where could I find an TBI to buy for a reasonable price?? I just checked StarTwinTrading and a brand new TBI is worth 2k Euros! o_O

As always, I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I am sure this is adjustable between the 2 left bodies and the 2 right bodies? I may be wrong.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts