MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Read Only
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot locate 10/60 anywhere near me, would 10/40 or 10/50 be good enough would you say? I also saw 5/40 for sale today.
If it's a top quality oil of course, not cheap stuff.
Which would you go with if you couldn't find 10/60?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
the Top end of the engine gets hot in these hence the 10/60, a 20/50 can used in race conditions. Which bike? hint add it to your profile.

I use Valvoline VR1 Racing 10w-60 in the F4

Opie oils or even eurocarparts sells occasionally so shop around

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
@Grindle: What year and model F4? Putting that information in your signature line will help us help you.

That being said, here is the recommended oil chart for a Gen One F4 and a Gen 2 F4. Given the information here, I would substitute 20W50 if you cannot find 10W60.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
you beat me to it I was editing my post. but its easy to find 10/60 in the correct variant, so long as you know how to search. SO may websites now want your licence plate and they tell you what you need, if they have the data, if not nothing.

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
That's why I order directly from AMSOil.....

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
here we are, try

your choice of Valvoline, Silkoline, Motul

shopping around 5L from £32

·
Administrator
19,545 Posts
Get the 10-60....you haven't looked hard enough.

·
Registered
14,419 Posts
Another oil thread........Really?????????
Try using search.......there's probably 100 of them by now 👎👎👎

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Another oil thread........Really?????????
Try using search.......there's probably 100 of them by now 👎👎👎
With the greatest respect, I think we should be more concerned about generating efforts to reduce the almost daily spam threads rather than 'chastising' a new member for raising what is an important question to him.

Using the search function should be elective and not obligatory.

There seems no issue for members to answer these questions with what is often more up-to-date product information than was available at the time of a bike's release. Such is evidenced by knowledgeable members' recommendations to use 'Purolator' oil filters ass opposed to MV's manual advice to: 'Exclusively use MV Agusta components'.

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
On the flip side of that is the new member who puts in no effort to see what has gone before and just bombard s the forum with the same old questions, won't identify the bike in questions, and posts in multiple threads looking for the same information. It gets tiresome.

Also, the SPAM issue is not something a member or a moderator can fix.

·
Read Only
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i have to say (and i didn't want to have to write this) that a few people here need to learn to MOVE ON if they see a question or post that does not interest them. Just move on!
For my sins i have onwed and enjoyed over 150 motorcycles since my first ones at 14 years old, off road of course at that point. But i hold my hands up and admit that not only am i new to the MV marque but not the best mechanic, by far. There isn't any rule as far as i am aware that says every biker has to be good with upkeep, servicing and the like.
MY expertise is mainly teaching rock climbing and also saving the lives of and looking after peoples' loved pets and as far as i am concerned NO question about a dog, cat or horse is ever stupid, the person may well lay bricks for a living. I can tell there are a few big egos on here and i suggest those people reel themselves in a bit and accept that not everyone is a fantastic mechanic like they give the impression to be the case.
Unless it becomes outside forum rules i will continue to ask for and maybe even sometimes offer advice, where applicable. Lighten up.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
Done

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
On the flip side of that is the new member who puts in no effort to see what has gone before and just bombard s the forum with the same old questions, won't identify the bike in questions, and posts in multiple threads looking for the same information. It gets tiresome.
That is truly unfair to new members and MUST discourage some reading this forum from joining. We do not know what efforts, if any, a new member has put in before posting a query. But that should not be the criteria by which a fellow member decides HOW he will answer the question. A member can decide whether or not to answer the question, but it should not be within the realms of a community forum to castigate or belittle such a query.

If a question is 'tiresome' ignore it and move on the next. That is our prerogative. For me though, I prefer to offer what help I can, knowing that at one time I was new and a tad green about working my way around an unfamiliar forum platform. We all share like interests and I do not believe that the new owner of an MV Agusta should be treated almost as 'second class' because he is yet to possess the acquired knowledge of many of his contemporaries.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That is truly unfair to new members and MUST discourage some reading this forum from joining. We do not know what efforts, if any, a new member has put in before posting a query. But that should not be the criteria by which a fellow member decides HOW he will answer the question. A member can decide whether or not to answer the question, but it should not be within the realms of a community forum to castigate or belittle such a query.

If a question is 'tiresome' ignore it and move on the next. That is our prerogative. For me though, I prefer to offer what help I can, knowing that at one time I was new and a tad green about working my way around an unfamiliar forum platform. We all share like interests and I do not believe that the new owner of an MV Agusta should be treated almost as 'second class' because he is yet to possess the acquired knowledge of many of his contemporaries.
Nigel, I'm with you, if you don't want to help don't. Many people will and some things like oil classifications SN vs SL for example change over time, both by recommendation and industry. Owning an MV should not and must not be the preserve of the technically minded or informed.

I've never seen the point of 'soft trolling', saying please add your bike, etc is sensible. Personally in my view, the search function is not great, you need to know what to search for and many of the posts are made so convoluted and complex by the established members (me included) and mods arguing and telling people their view of life and not necessarily what the OP asked, makes distilling it all down to the correct answer can be very difficult. e.g look at the ride height threads.

·
Administrator
19,545 Posts
By the way...the API oil classification is now up to SP .... :rolleyes: :unsure:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Exactly

1 - 20 of 30 Posts