MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and Gals,

need a little help working out a glitch. My B4 has been parted up, in bits for while. today I decided to put it back together and start it up. a freshly charged battery fitted and some fuel left on the tank. When I went start it it cranked perfectly well but would not start, there is no coughs or splutters, just spins the starter. I can hear the fuel pump priming and returning fuel to the tank.

I can't see any blown fuses, and dont think its the coils, as it was running before it was taken apart. and I can't find any connectors disconnected.

Any thoughts?, seems odd that there is no spark any cylinder.

Thanks in advance..

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Did you check the kickstand sensor? Had an alarm?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well... the kick stand is not attached, it snapped in half in the back of a trailer, hence why its been in bits!! however I have a zip tie rapped round it so that it thinks the stand is up.

normally the kick stand sensor means the bike doesn;t even turn over. also I did check it was in neutral!!

the starter spins away and turns the motor, but there is no indication that its is firing. no coughs of splutters, just the starter turning over,

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
You're absolutely right. Sorry I can't think of anything else right now. In the old days we'd either check the petcock handle or spray Gumout towards the intake.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I think i will pull it apart again and check the plugs and coils. could be the plugs all fowled after spending so ling sitting.

·
Administrator
20,423 Posts
Check the fuel hose on the pump....my Brutale tank was off for a while once and I had the same problem as you. For whatever reason, when I reinstalled the tank and hit the starter the hose popped off.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks I will have a check. Although I did look inside the tank and everything normal, but a may have missed something.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,423 Posts
OK, thanks I will have a check. Although I did look inside the tank and everything normal, but a may have missed something.
I couldn't see it until I took the pump out. A pretty common cause of the cranks but doesn't start syndrome...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used the falling over in trailer as an excuse to strip all the body work of and replace some bits with CF and paint the others. Still in progress, but I was desperate to get it on the road again so put it back together. Before it fell over I did have to replace an ignition coil due water getting in a destroying one last year. So plugs and coils out again for I sepction I guess. I will also check the fuel lines. Because the tank is pretty empty, when you stop cranking the motor you can hear fuel being returnes to the tank, which is what makes me think the fuel tank isn't the issue. But I will check never the less.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,423 Posts
Reactions: theknurl

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I had a quick look at the bike after work this evening. I pulled the coil and plug from cyl:4. teh plug looked to be dry, definitely not "wet". I left the coil out and put the spark plug into it and cranked the bike to confirm there was a spark, which there is. So that leads me to think that the is fuel supply.

So in true HSE fashion i opened the fuel cap and cranked the bike while looking inside the tank. I couldn't see obviously disconnected hoses, but there was fuel spraying from near the top of the tank. It looked like a hose was spraying up against the roof of the tank, but I could see from where, I guess I will need to drain the tank and inspect properly.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah could be. cant tell with out pulling the pump assembly out.

·
Administrator
20,423 Posts
Fuel spraying at the top of the tank tells me the hose has come adrift..... Put it back on with a clamp...something the factory didn't do.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I just looked through the workshop manual and the pipework does look different from what I could see inside the tank. looks like the hose that comes off top of the filter and bends back down has come off whatever it bends down too. I will drop the assembly out and have a look.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Don't be fooled by the one hose that is open ended - can't recall its name. Inspect your hoses and replace your filter while in there.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts