MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone here put on the aftermarket air filter on their B3? Any difference in performance with the aftermarket air filter? Any recommendations, as far as filter to get/not to get?

Cheers,

Petar

·
Registered
639 Posts
Not yet, my Dragster gets the BMC at next service.
Had one on my 750.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi 93vtec , I put a Sprint air filter(P08) on my brutale 800 . I also dyno'ed the bike before and after installing the air filter .

Before i got 109hp at the rear wheel and after i got 108hp ( I live on a small hot and humid island so the number should be lower then what u see else where )

Yes i lost one horsepower -_- but the dyno showed a noticebly smoother curve through out the rev range and the bike did feel a noticeably more controlled as it pulled through the rev with less kicks and dips.

a different air filter may produce different results and using a power commander or something similar would probably bring out the best in the modification.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Shin, which exhaust were you running when you dyno'd it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi 93vtec , I put a Sprint air filter(P08) on my brutale 800 . I also dyno'ed the bike before and after installing the air filter .

Before i got 109hp at the rear wheel and after i got 108hp ( I live on a small hot and humid island so the number should be lower then what u see else where )

Yes i lost one horsepower -_- but the dyno showed a noticebly smoother curve through out the rev range and the bike did feel a noticeably more controlled as it pulled through the rev with less kicks and dips.

a different air filter may produce different results and using a power commander or something similar would probably bring out the best in the modification.
Interesting that you lost one HP, but then again, you get a lot of air in, and if you can't get it all out, I can see how you may lose 1HP. Mapping would probably have done the trick. No doubt more air gets in (less resistance).

Air filter was always something I did on all of my vehicles/bikes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Shin, which exhaust were you running when you dyno'd it?
Hey Italia ,

No exhaust mods , I've been tempted to drill holes in the catalytic converter and make it more of a "high flow" cat . But Ive stayed away from doing as so far ,.. i haven't read any conclusive reviews from guys who removed or modded thier cat on the F3s. It seems drive-ablitly is noticably affected for the sake of top end power.

I am tempted to get the QD exhaust but legalising exhausts in my country is B*tch. A giant time wasting pain in the behind B*tch . If you are cuaght with an after market exhaust without the legal certs and inspection documents, Its a $500 fine .. and witht he stock exhausts looking so good .. im hard pressed to change mine.

I will get a power comander when one becomes available for the B3 800
and i'll tune the bike up to suit and report back here in the forums =)
as of now officially theres only availability for the F3 and the F3 has 6 injectors so id be waste of $$ ( high injector count tend to mean more expensive power comander ) to get that version and work it to fit the B3.

·
Registered
22 Posts
B3 800 before and after Sprint air filter dyno chart

Interesting that you lost one HP, but then again, you get a lot of air in, and if you can't get it all out, I can see how you may lose 1HP. Mapping would probably have done the trick. No doubt more air gets in (less resistance).

Air filter was always something I did on all of my vehicles/bikes.
Hi 93Vtec ,

Yeah i was really hoping the air fuel ratio would get leaner , but then again these things are hit and miss as i cant be sure how the ecu would compensate if it does compensate for the extra flow of air .

Btw my bad, my original read was 108.45 and after installing the sprint filter my rear wheel horsepower dropped to 107.9 .However you can see the graph becomes more linear. anyway its been a while since i looked at the print out . let me attach it for Every one to see ,IF you guys think i should start a new thread let me know , id love to hear opinions and discussions on this topic =)

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I imagine, air filter alone won't make a big difference. If you get more air in, more needs to get out. Exhaust manifold and an aftermarket exhaust with power commander and tuning should make a nice gain. But then, are 8-10 ponies worth the $$??

·
Registered
17 Posts
The actual snorkel inside air intakes is way to small, no matter what filter you run, you can't get a much larger volume of air into the airbox plus the OEM filters these days are pretty good already.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The actual snorkel inside air intakes is way to small, no matter what filter you run, you can't get a much larger volume of air into the airbox plus the OEM filters these days are pretty good already.
Agreed!
It's surprising the power that modern bikes (and cars) can make with such limited intake and filter area.
When building for more power I look at the system as a whole and the intake is a primary area for improvement. Airbox volume is also an important aspect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts