MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been a long time lurker around here until now i decided to take the plunge.

I want to buy a Brutale 800 but im scared of some horror stories that i've read here.

Do you think that for 2015 Mv Agusta has sorted all of the Brutales problems such as Fueling, Stalling, Mapping, snatchy throttle, and the one that bothers me the most, the lag between the twist of the throttle and the acceleration.

I really love the bike and like Mv Agusta, I just wanna make sure its the right decision. Im deciding between the Brutale 800 and a Hypermotard 821 but leaning more towards a B3.

Both dealers are around 100 miles from where I live.

I live in Mexico btw. (Playa del Carmen)

Hope to hear from you guys! Thanks!

PD. Im 6'3" are the ergos on the Brutalina any good for tall riders?
Jorge

·
Registered
72 Posts
the new bikes have many updates over the early release models , with the new mapping out now i have only heard compliments from our customers . they also have other things that have been upgraded that are not electronic to improve dependability . i personally would put a steering damper on it . fun factor is much higher that way

·
Registered
307 Posts
JorgeB, what lag between the twist of the throttle and the acceleration ??? I bet the guys's been riding in in Rain mode, where the lag (it's an atrificial programmed lag is deliberate and power delivery much slower) or at its best in Normal mode, where it's less.
I can tell you that there's absolutely no lag in Sports mode. Honestly - the bike reacts twice as quick as my Duc Monster S2R1000 (that has good old-fashioned mechanical throttle). And this Brutale is so much more fun, when compared with S2R, it's like comparing a racing horse to a carriage pulling mule.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the new bikes have many updates over the early release models , with the new mapping out now i have only heard compliments from our customers . they also have other things that have been upgraded that are not electronic to improve dependability . i personally would put a steering damper on it . fun factor is much higher that way
Thanks for the reply, by new bikes you mean the 2015 models right?

That's great news! Are the 15' Brutales out yet? or is it something that MV has said that will be upgraded over the 14's models?

JorgeB, what lag between the twist of the throttle and the acceleration ??? I bet the guys's been riding in in Rain mode, where the lag (it's an atrificial programmed lag is deliberate and power delivery much slower) or at its best in Normal mode, where it's less.
I can tell you that there's absolutely no lag in Sports mode. Honestly - the bike reacts twice as quick as my Duc Monster S2R1000 (that has good old-fashioned mechanical throttle). And this Brutale is so much more fun, when compared with S2R, it's like comparing a racing horse to a carriage pulling mule.
Milan, Thanks for the clarification, I read the review by Motorcycle News UK and the presenter (dont know his name) always complain about the throttle response. one more question for you, how it behaves at low speeds or around town? Mostly I'll take it on highways on weekends but barely canyon carving since where I live is totally flat.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have 2014 Dragster, no issues , only stalling.
This was fixed with the latest update !!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a 2014 B3 800. Bought it two weeks ago. The only issue I've had so far is the throttle being a bit jerky in low opening situations. Its pretty snatchy under 10 mph. I attribute that 99% to me being incompetent. It would certainly seem that the horror stories of fueling have been resolved.

A note on there being lag between throttle and acceleration:

Put it in sport, 2nd gear, over 9000 rpm. I think the only thing youll notice to be faster than the throttle response is the speed at which the front end rises.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha thanks for the replies guys, you think the ergos of the 675/800 suit a 6'3" rider? I know the 910 and the 1090 are good but dont know about the B3's

·
Registered
560 Posts
Haha thanks for the replies guys, you think the ergos of the 675/800 suit a 6'3" rider? I know the 910 and the 1090 are good but dont know about the B3's
I'm 6'2/6'3 and the brutale is by far the most comfortable bike I have ever sat on.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I read the review by Motorcycle News UK and the presenter (dont know his name) always complain about the throttle response.
Dont forget MCN hates all bikes that arent Triumphs...especially Triumph direct competition. Go ride a B3 and then ride a Street Triple R. Sweet Jesus.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would like to report zero problems in 700 miles on a 2014:)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would like to report zero problems in 700 miles on a 2014:)
I try not to say naughty words in polite company, but I have to share what the voice in my head when I saw that pic: 'fuck me that's a beautiful bike'...cough...cough...back to civil society mode ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
JorgeB, on low speeds around town - the bike is light and extremely agile (feels more like a bicycle than a motorbike how easy to steer) and it won't get you tired. Also clutch lever is "lighter" than on a ducati and requires less strength to pull - another one in favour of not getting tired.
In Sport mode the throttle is extremely sensitive (hence people refer to it as jerky) - it will react on every move of your hand, on every bump on the road - having a fully relaxed hand that will absorb the road vibration, will help you twisting your wrist unintentionally much less often, and the bike won't feel that jerky.
In Normal mode, it's very relaxing, yet enough responsive.

So, it depends what one prefers. I prefer Sport and use Normal only when conditions are wet. Almost never used Rain mode (plan to use it for extremes, like hail, snow, wet and cold or oily asphalt, if it happens so)

·
Registered
363 Posts
^props for keeping those wheels white!
They get a wipe down after every ride:conveyer: However so do the black ones on my Ducati, so it must be worth it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I try not to say naughty words in polite company, but I have to share what the voice in my head when I saw that pic: 'fuck me that's a beautiful bike'...cough...cough...back to civil society mode ;)
That was my reaction when I saw it, so I brought it home. Hate when that happens

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had my 2014 B3 800 for about 2 months now. I was a bit worried when I took the plunge because I commute everyday and the throttle was rather hard to control at low speed compared to my FZ1. Now I'm just loving it - either the bike has broken in our I've just gotten used to it - or both. I don't notice any throttle lag, in fact it feels like it wants to get away and I'm having to hold it back. Slow speed light throttle is sometimes a problem - like following a slow car out from traffic lights. The bike gets all jerky on & off the power. I usually resort to the clutch to resolve it. It's not a major and not unique to the B3, but is one thing MV could sort sometime.

As far as ergonomics go, I'm only 5'11". I like to sit upright. I'd probably prefer slightly higher bars myself, but that's just me. It's pretty comfortable. Also the hard seat works surprisingly well. I can ride longer without discomfort on it than on my Fazer, and the Fazer has a far softer seat. I've also been impressed with the lack of wind and buffeting at legal highway speeds.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just for the record I agree 100% with everything 'Milan' just said in the post above.

I have now covered c.1500 miles on my 2014 Italia, with zero issues and loved every single minute. Out of my two bikes the MV has surprised me the most & become the steed of choice more often than not.

Lovely looking bike you have there 'JS Agusta' ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies, and the great forum this is. Makes me wanna join the club! Have an appointment saturday with my dealer to sit on it and hopefully put a deposit on a 15' model. (waiting for it to arrive will kill me!) Also I think I will get the 675. Reason is the brutale 800 is too much for the little town I live in, i'll be in first gear all the time and the non cleacoat on the 800 pisses me off incredibly, also is $2000 usd more, and I rather invest that on a qd exhaust.

Thanks again guys!, keep you posted.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The 800 Italia has clearcoat... Good luck with your purchase :smoking:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Before you count the 800 out I would check to see if the summer deal offer is still going on. If youre in the US they are doing 1000 USD rebates on the brutale 800's. I managed to do some keen haggling and got my 800 EAS ABS for <11000 USD

1 - 20 of 37 Posts