MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started pulling my 1078rr apart for new chain,sprockets and hub bearing after my last trip and when I removed the sprocket side retaining clip from the axle nut I found that the nut was only hand tight. And that is 5000ks after a major service from the dealer. Thank Christ the clip did it`s job or I may have ended up like mitch. To think I had it well over 200kph at one point makes me shudder. How FCUKing hard is it for so called profesionals to get it right. Thankfully warranty has expired so I`ll be doing my own servicing from now on.

Check your nuts guys!!! sorry, and ladies.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
cus;
glad you're OK:drummer:

i have yet to see an MV that was serviced at an authorized dealer that was done correctly.......period

doing your own service is the only way to go.......after all its your ass, that will hit the asphalt

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cus;

i have yet to see an MV that was serviced at an authorized dealer that was done correctly.......period

doing your own service is the only way to go.......after all its your ass, that will hit the asphalt
It`s an astounding case of negligence none the less, I certainly don`t need the help of others to end up on my arse. Years ago I was doing an inspection on a Cessna 180 I`d been operating and found a spanner (wrench) lodged under an aileron bellcrank, left by the previous so called engineer, some times you just have to shake your fuggin head and go have a beer.
Back to my bike ,this will be a very thorough going over. God knows what else was "missed".

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
cus;

I have to say that sunstate motorcycles on the sunshine coast do grand job
After yrs of racing i always check nut bolts ,levels after a service …so far no problems BUT i have found that the fuel is lower when i get it back lol
Cus i bet they blame the poor young trainee

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
shops?

PM just came from the UK Forum;
"....I decided not to ride the bike there or back for new tyres, I took it in a van.

Lucky call for me as I decided to check the "mechanics" work out. Why use a torque wrench when you can use a rattle gun at full torque?

I got the bike home and I had to use a 20" breaker bar to undo the front axle! There was fine swarf all over the place. I also had to get a bloody breaker bar to undo the 2 x pinch bolts on the swing arm, they must have put about 100ft/lbs on the bloody things.":wtf::wtf::wtf:

i'm sending him new wheel and hub bearings:drummer:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Your one lucky man. I had my clip go on me on the freeway not long ago and the nut flew off and i lost all power. The only thing holding the wheel on was the caliper. I had angels looking down on me that day i had been up and down maquarie pass which is a mountain side full of toght twisty turns. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1378683840.569367.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to say that sunstate motorcycles on the sunshine coast do grand job
After yrs of racing i always check nut bolts ,levels after a service …so far no problems BUT i have found that the fuel is lower when i get it back lol
Cus i bet they blame the poor young trainee
Would hate all shops to be tarred with the same brush ,I`ve had dealings with Trooper Lu`s on a couple of occasions and found them to be excellent but being two days ride away are a little far.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your one lucky man. I had my clip go on me on the freeway not long ago and the nut flew off and i lost all power. The only thing holding the wheel on was the caliper. I had angels looking down on me that day i had been up and down maquarie pass which is a mountain side full of toght twisty turns. View attachment 81417

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Yeah, your incident came to mind when I found my loose nut (so to speak), freeway would be one thing but the pass could have seen you and bike thrown into the scrub never to be seen again. To quote Life of Brian " you lucky bastard".

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Always do my own service now,SO if i kill myself i can then blame myself from the other side.Glad you picked it up in time Cus.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I have a friend who runs a fleet of 40 ton trucks. He is also a trained and qualified HGV mechanic and highly experienced. He said that routinely HGVs are pulled over by the Ministry and given a roadside check. ( I have experienced this myself with my 7.5 tonner ).

From time to time an inspector would point out a fault. My mates response is that they don't break in the garage so much . They break out on the road. It is a dynamic process..

For me, it makes sense to safety check as you go along..."Preflight" check afore ye go and keep a bloody eye on things at most times..

joe

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
cus;
I understand your point.......

but every bike i see is wrong.....like in my quote of the UK Forum member

bolts, over, under torqued, injector clips on backwards, broken injectors, rotten well nuts.....well nuts are service parts they MUST be changed

if the dealer doesn't stock them or countershaft lock washers how can they service bikes correctly?

obviously they can't and that's what i see

:jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Supply and demand

cus;
I understand your point.......

but every bike i see is wrong.....like in my quote of the UK Forum member

bolts, over, under torqued, injector clips on backwards, broken injectors, rotten well nuts.....well nuts are service parts they MUST be changed

if the dealer doesn't stock them or countershaft lock washers how can they service bikes correctly?

obviously they can't and that's what i see

:jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff:
Noel I asked a main MV dealer for a set of exhaust gaskets. I was told they didn't stock them. I was then told that they would have to come from MotoGb ( UK MV Importer ). I was then told a week later that MotoGb didn't have any either and I would have to wait 6 weeks maybe longer as the MV Agusta factory was on annual shut down.

I went down to the local Yamaha dealer with the size and they had them under the counter.

A Uk member last week needed a set and I sent them too him free. They are on his bike now..Job done..

To have a successful business you have to listen to the customer...

Has the supply chain from MV to dealer improved now.? I understand that MotoGb are no longer the UK importer.

joe

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Forgot to mention also that when I cleaned up the area around the countershaft sprocket I found one of the small bolts like out of the plastic covers below the throttle bodies lodged in there. must have been lost during a previous service and replaced without bothering to find the original.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
parts stockage?

Joe;
I go to the dealer for well nuts (a long time ago)

the parts guy brings a box out of M4,M5 &M6 well nuts...
"how many you need?"

"More than you have.....i'll get them on line"

they had a total of ~20 and only 1 counter shaft lock washer

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

you can't service even 1 bike with that much stock:jerkoff::jerkoff:

this is the Factory's fault in their franchising contracts that dealers are NOT required to stock service parts and nuts and bolts

i don't expect them to stock complete motors or fairing sets but the importer should

1 - 15 of 15 Posts